Lower calorie alternatives to chips when eating them with guacamole...please share

Options
I love guac :heart: and luckily there are 90-100cal portions available. Sadly, I don't like eating it with celery or carrots. :disappointed:

Please share suggestions/ideas!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    There are no 90-100 calorie portions when it comes to chips? Or you could just measure the amount out the amount yourself.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Just use a spoon.

Plain -- not baked or fried -- tortillas.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    There are no 90-100 calorie portions when it comes to chips? Or you could just measure the amount out the amount yourself.

I have tried that before, but I always end up with guac leftover.

I guess I could do as @DeguelloTex suggests and use a spoon. That takes so much effort, but it might just work. :wink:
  • cocates
    Options
    @amyrebeccah Thanks for the great suggestion!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Just use a spoon.

Plain -- not baked or fried -- tortillas.

No reason not to take plain tortillas and bake them yourself. I do this all the time because we have a local brand of corn tortilla that's only 60 calories for two, and they bake up wonderfully crispy in a low oven.
    They do, but, imo, the effort and time isn't worth it when corn tortillas can be so awesome just nuked in a damp paper towel.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

They don't even exist.

k2-_f5220da6-612c-42ea-9d29-74dea86f56d3.v2.jpg
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat it with a spoon. But I have tried it with cucumber slices...that was actually surprisingly good. I've also used bell pepper slices...also pretty good, though the peppers are a stronger taste.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    snap peas and red pepper slices are my favorite.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm totally going to try the corn tortillas baked in the oven. Part of the draw for me with guac is to have the crunch of the chip, so cuke slices just don't cut it but celery and snap peas are good. There are some lower cal tortilla chips on the market if you don't want to take the time to make them yourself. Check labels, but I've found some that are anywhere from 3g of fat to 4.5g (compared to 7-8g for most tortilla chips).
  • TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Air-pop Popcorn with light salt.
  • fatgirlclub
    fatgirlclub Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I eat Sensible Portions - Garden Vegetable Chips, 38 chips is 130 calories. You could easily cut down the portion size.
  • tortillasandbologna
    Options
    I like to make chips out of Ezekiel tortillas. Cut each tortilla into 8 triangles, spritz with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle with salt (or desired seasoning) and bake on a foil lined cookie sheet at 400 degrees until crispy. 8 chips (one tortilla) has 150 calories, but they're high in fiber and other goodies so I allow myself to enjoy them. HTH :)
  • cocates
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I also like the red pepper slices and cucumber idea; I'll have to try those!

@fatgirlclub - I've tried those with it and they are really good. Problem is, it becomes a 220-230cal snack instead of ~100-150cals. If the other suggestions don't work out, looks like I'll have to go back eating the GVC!
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with chips in that once I start I cant stop...but I think portion control is the way to go (if that is something you can handle :persevere: ) The caloric difference between baked and fried is minimal so unless you are replacing it with something like veggies you are not going to get a drastically bigger portion for the number of calories in a serving. That being said, I am looking on some websites about making high protein chips today...
  • cocates
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    I have a problem with chips in that once I start I cant stop...but I think portion control is the way to go (if that is something you can handle :persevere: ) The caloric difference between baked and fried is minimal so unless you are replacing it with something like veggies you are not going to get a drastically bigger portion for the number of calories in a serving. That being said, I am looking on some websites about making high protein chips today...

If you try one you like, please come back and share!

• williamgprice
    williamgprice Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Pork rinds if you're on a paleo kick
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    What about roasted green beans or zucchini chips?
  • cocates
    Options
    Pork rinds if you're on a paleo kick

Oohhhh. I forgot about them. Yum!!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I like kale chips topped with wholey guacamole
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    You could spread it on rice cakes. I love using it instead of mayo to make tuna salad then eat it with some crackers.