Going on a Cruise Soon, Need Suggestions

Options
I went on a cruise last year so I kinda know what to expect but I wasn't trying to lose weight either. I am going to Florida a few days before the cruise and a day after the cruise and the cruise is 7 days. I could use some tips about trying to stay on track while on vacation. We will be doing some fun excursions while on the cruise such as swimming with the dolphins and two snorkeling excursions but I do have MS so my mobility is somewhat limited.

Thanks!

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    If you can, don't eat the buffets, instead eat each meal at one of the sit down restaurants. You tend to eat less when you control portions and aren't faced with the buffet. If you do eat at the buffet make the first plate from the salad bar. In my experience, they are huge and have quite a selection, which on most, includes no cheese or other fatty toppings.
    If there is a track on top of the ship or a work out room that you can access make sure you get in some exercise every day to offset the calories you are taking in. I really enjoy cruising but you have to make the effort to move more when you are aboard.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain on the cruise I went on because there's so much more activity, probably. The off-shore excursions and sightseeing, etc., really changed my pace, I guess, enough so that I could handle the delish meals. I did do one trick. I ate the soup before the meal. They offer soup or salad. I went with the soups, which were nearly all low-cal. That might have helped me avoid eating too much bread, etc.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I would disagree on the buffets. The buffets offer salads, fruits and lean meats like shrimp, chicken and fish. There are plenty of items on a buffet that will fill you up without filling up your calories for the day. Plus, the buffets are available many times a day so you can grab a salad or a hard boiled egg with some cottage cheese or other snacks that are filling without going crazy if you are hungry mid day. When you have sit down dinners, avoid rich creamy foods (unless you really want them and they fit into your intake for the day). The one thing that is easy to forget is how many calories are in mixed and fruity drinks. Be mindful of how many daiquiris you have deck side. Stay as active as you can - any movement is good. Take a walk around the deck, dance, swim...have a good time!
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It sounds like fun! If you can look at some of the buffet menus that are onboard it will give you an idea of how/what to eat and when. These might be available on the cruise line's website. They may even offer some healthy alternatives, since a lot of people are more health-conscious these days. Plus you could also write down what you plan to eat for each day to help make more informed choices. Have fun :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Best advice I have is don't feel the need to eat ALL the food just because it's there. Just eat when you are hungry. There are better ways to have fun than stuffing your face.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What line will you be going on? I know that Celebrity has the Aquaspa Cafe that is available for breakfast and lunch. It features healthier dishes. In the Main Dining Room, you can always ask for healthier alternatives, like a different vegetable instead of mashed potatoes, or sauce on the side instead of on an item. Breads are always a tough one for me, as they are PHENOMENAL.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would disagree on the buffets. The buffets offer salads, fruits and lean meats like shrimp, chicken and fish. There are plenty of items on a buffet that will fill you up without filling up your calories for the day. Plus, the buffets are available many times a day so you can grab a salad or a hard boiled egg with some cottage cheese or other snacks that are filling without going crazy if you are hungry mid day. When you have sit down dinners, avoid rich creamy foods (unless you really want them and they fit into your intake for the day). The one thing that is easy to forget is how many calories are in mixed and fruity drinks. Be mindful of how many daiquiris you have deck side. Stay as active as you can - any movement is good. Take a walk around the deck, dance, swim...have a good time!

This.

My husband and I cruise often and I always do better sticking to the buffets. They always have grilled chicken, fish, or pork. Add a couple veggies or a salad to that and you're all set. Also, try to stick to breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food is available 24/7 on a cruise, so it's easy to get carried away with snacks and extra meals.
  • shellinut
    shellinut Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will be going on Carnival. The one good thing is, I loved Carnival last year when I went but the food wan't all that great, lol. Of course I did the buffet most of the cruise. This time I am going with my wife so I might actually go to the dining room more often. The cruise was awesome. I loved the cruise director and the staff but the food was just ok. That might make it easier for me I guess. I'm not much of a drinker so I might have one or 2 "adult" beverages but stick to water otherwise.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    shellinut wrote: »
    I will be going on Carnival. The one good thing is, I loved Carnival last year when I went but the food wan't all that great, lol. Of course I did the buffet most of the cruise. This time I am going with my wife so I might actually go to the dining room more often. The cruise was awesome. I loved the cruise director and the staff but the food was just ok. That might make it easier for me I guess. I'm not much of a drinker so I might have one or 2 "adult" beverages but stick to water otherwise.

I thought the same thing of Carnival. Food was not great. The dining room was better, but still nothing to write home about. I found avoiding the food easy.
  • freesiasun5
    freesiasun5 Posts: 3,122 Member
    Options
    I went on a 10 day cruise back in May. I really didn't overly restrict myself at all, except that maybe I had more salads than burgers and fries. When I got back I was up about 5 or 6 pounds, and it was gone within a week. So remember that when you get back, you'll likely have some water weight regardless of how strict you are, because you have no control over the salt being used to prepare the food.

My most important advice: don't sweat the small stuff, visit the onboard gym and hit the treadmill a couple times, and ENJOY YOURSELF!

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a 2 week med cruise and plan to work out every day and enjoy my food within reason. Have fun! :smile:
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    When I went on a carnival cruise the food was poor enough quality to not make over eating an issue. El Siboney, a 1950s Cuban cafe on key west however could have been a BIG problem in the most delicious way!!! Hahaha
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If it has a pool, use it. Other than that, enjoy. We spend days and years calorie counting, one holiday will not ruin all your hard work. Yeah you may gain a couple of pounds of fat and a couple more in water weight but you can lose that again in a week or two and it'll have been worth it.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If you don't have one already, I'd suggest getting a fitbit or some other activity tracker. Chances are you will be moving a lot during the trip, and those extra steps can add up to give you a nice buffer so you don't have to restrict yourself as much or feel guilty when you want to indulge. I've found that most days I earn more extra calories through my daily steps than I do through my planned exercise. Every little bit helps!!

Enjoy your trip!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Eat, drink, enjoy your vacation, and pick up where you left off when you get back. Most, if any, weight you gain will be in the form of water weight.

Last cruise I went on I gained 7.5lbs, and lost it all within 4 days of being home and getting back to my schedule.
  • BarbMessimer
    BarbMessimer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Well, my first instinct was to say, "Don't go!!!!" But then.... all kidding aside..... You're taking the cruise to have fun and perhaps you won't stick to your diet perfectly, but that's OK. One week is not going to destroy you when there are 51 more weeks in the year to be "good". I've been on many cruises and came back weighing the same as before. Why? Because I was active.... I walked around in all the ports and did a lot of walking on the ship too. You'll be fine and then just jump right back on your program when you get home. You'll have a great time!
  • PieAndLattes
    PieAndLattes Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My number one tip is: always take the stairs. Throughout the day, you're usually going up and down all over the ship, for meals and stops back at the cabin and entertainment and back up to the pool and down again and up again as you go about your day. If you commit to the stairs instead of the elevator, whether it's one floor or 8, you will definitely be able to move a considerable amount throughout the day.

Also, if you have an activity you love, there are usually workout classes offered (I took a few yoga classes on my last cruise). I personally don't want to spend my cruise puffing along on the treadmill, but the idea of a yoga class at sea was actually appealing to me.

And, also... accept that this is a vacation. While, that doesn't make it a free-for-all, its okay (in my opinion) to bend or break some rules and enjoy the heck out of your vacation and resume life as normal when you're back on dry land. :)
  • MoCo88
    MoCo88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am going on a cruise next month, and I am about halfway to my goal weight, so I have given this subject a lot of thought!

I like the buffet because you can pick exactly what you want - for example, I will load up on salad and steamed veggies, skip (or take a very small portion of) potato/rice, take a smallish portion of lean meat. If there are dessert treats that look especially appealing, I will take one, but so often things look better than they taste, so most are not worth the calories! I try to save some calories for beer before karaoke :-)

If you choose to dine at a set time in the dining room, don't hesitate to tell your server if you would prefer plain veggies, no sauce on the fish, no potato or whatever else might make it easier for you to reduce the calories in any given meal. They are very good at accommodating their customers' needs, and will likely offer you variations on the day's meal once they get to know your preferences.

Many people subscribe to the philosophy of "you're on vacation, let go and have fun," and that is fine if that is what you want to do - I agree that you would likely drop any pounds acquired on the cruise pretty quickly when you got home and back into your routine. On the other hand, if you have good momentum going now and you don't want to let it go, you absolutely can have a great cruise without gaining weight. I will concede that you are not likely to lose weight on your cruise, especially if you are not able to be as active as you might like to be due to your MS.

A cruise is a wonderful vacation, and I'm sure you and your wife will love every minute of it regardless of how many calories you consume.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If you are truly serious about making a change in your life then how you look at food must change regardless of vacations, holidays or special occasions. Our lack of portion control is what got us into this mess in the first place. So when you go on a cruise I'm not saying you have to sit around and count every calorie but you should be mindful of exactly how much you are eating and how often. It is not a free pass just because you're on a cruise. I went on two cruises since I've started my diet and I continued to lose weight even though I went on them. Also you can get a lot of exercise while on the boat. They not only have a free gym but there is a lot of walking from one side of the boat to the other. And then there is like....10 decks to walk up and down. I didn't use the elevator the entire time I was on my trips. On my cruise is actually the only time I've ever gone over 20,000 steps in a day according to my Fitbit. So eat less and move more. You can still have a great time on vacation without overeating.