I Feel like a failure..

Options
I have been logging everything I eat, everyday. But I haven't lost any weight. I'm fearful for my health. I'm nearly 15stone 95kg and feel bloody horrible about myself.
I know this sounds like an attention seeking thing, but I feel despite.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How long have you been logging?
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I've failed 95 times. Failure is normal. It is good. It is a critical part of the path. Just keep going. Keep logging.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hi there! There are tons of people here who would like to help you out if you can share some more details with us. Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice too, if you're comfortable doing so.

These are my general tips. Maybe something will help you out.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you're logging and still not losing after several weeks, I'd suggesting setting a lower calorie target (maybe reducing it by 10%). Either your calorie calculator/formula is off, or your logging is off.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Don't give up! Never stop! Just think about how much you want to lose weight... You can beat this.

I agree that failure is good, as it helps us to learn from our mistakes, learn more about ourselves, and pushes us to do better.

Also, you only have 14lbs to lose.... those last few pounds do take a little more time to lose. How many lbs per week are you set to lose?

Just wondering....do you weigh all your foods? Can you open up your diary?
  • nortonme
    nortonme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have to say Dianne, that was one of the best posts I've seen in some time. I lost 16 lbs so far and have stalled out the past week and a half. Very frustrating to be sure but i'm still posting. I did not consider my olive oil and butter though. I'll be sure to add those in tonight. Thank you! Keep your chin up Zozo! you can do this, we can do this. you're here and you're logging that's all good. look at the rest of the day in a new light and we can conquer this and be healthy!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You're just beginning. You have a lot to learn about what works for you and what doesn't.

Stick with it and keep trying new things. The bottom line when you cannot lose weight is always eat less, exercise more or both. But there are a whole lot of different ways to lose weight. You'll find yours...if you don't quit.

Feel like a failure, if you want to, but it serves no purpose. If you'd just be logical about it and work at it, you'd much better better off that wasting time on kicking yourself.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Hi there! There are tons of people here who would like to help you out if you can share some more details with us. Opening your diary might help to get you more specific advice too, if you're comfortable doing so.

These are my general tips. Maybe something will help you out.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

Listen to everything @diannethegeek just said!!! It's perfect!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    How long has it been, what are your stats and can you open your diary?
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this advice. I really appreciate it
  • rashad222
    rashad222 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Read my story that i posted in this forum...I am sure that will help you 100%..
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10265732/over-weight-people-should-read-this#latest
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Start by becoming truly honest with yourself. The unfortunate reality is most people underestimate how much they eat, even if they think they are logging everything. An open diary is the one thing that is helpful when you're committed to eating at a deficit on MFP. It's the only way people can really help. Anything else is simply people's suggestions that work for them, which may or may not work for you.