underactive thyroid and pcos....will I ever lose

Options
hi everyone, am close to 40 and have a lot of weight to lose. I have pcos and an underactive thyroid so it is quite hard. would love to hear from similar people, would appreciate some tips please.

Replies

• SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi, I posted on a similar topic just a few minutes before you did!
    So hi, I hear you! x
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Do you know if your PCOS involves insulin resistance ? if so you may find carbohydrate restriction helpful.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is well medicated (so that all your numbers are good, not just TSH) then it really shouldn't be a hindrance to weight loss.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, but as long as you are under treatment (meds, etc.) there is no reason to think that you will be any different than other people.

Exercise, eat right (log your calories!) and eat like a type II diabetic (low sugar, and only complex carbs).

The laws of the universe will allow you to lose weight!

R

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are treated, you lose like everyone else. I have lived with both conditions for more than 20 years.
    If you are not treated, you have way more serious problems than weight.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i have both hypothyroism and pcos and have lost 178lb currently
    make sure your eating in a deficit and pick exercise you enjoy to improve your fitness
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Well done ruqa. I knew it was possible.

I also have hypthyroidism and i have never had any trouble losing weight whatsoever.

If you struggle you probably need to work on making your methodolgy more effective. I understand that pcos often gets better when you get your weight under control so that should be an incentive.

One thing youmight want to pay attention in yoru diet is to keep carbs fairly low. Minimise refined carb foods becuase they are less sustaining than others, especially vegetables and legumes. You might need to rethink the way you eat in a big way but you don't have to do it all once. That said, the sooner you can improve what you eat, the sooner and more easily you will lose the weight you want to lose.

to make enjoyable, cook yummy but healthy food.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    With pros, low carb is the best way to go for sure. Start with 100 grams/day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    i have both hypothyroism and pcos and have lost 178lb currently
    make sure your eating in a deficit and pick exercise you enjoy to improve your fitness

Wow! Well done :)
  • ALMOSTkickedpcos
    ALMOSTkickedpcos Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi every one!! I am a victim of pcos too. Believe me meds would make you feel no better but exercise would do all. I was 12 when it was spotted and was put on contraceptives. It made me too sick. I was ''experimented'' with lots of different medication by lots of different doctors but nothing made my periods regular. I would miss them for months. Ugly thick black hair started appearing on my face and thick black rings too. I actually studied it thoroughly last year and realized, if not treated, what those cysts can be. It actually scared me. So first thing was to speed up my metabolic rate. I am 19 now. Move your body as much as you can. Walk, run or climb steps. Be active as much as possible. Believe me, just few months back I was THE laziest person you would ever come across in this world and I completely guarantee you for this. PCOS, makes us slow!! Do changes in your grocery list. Buy fresh fruits and veggies. Yeah, I know they are boring, but hey have you seen those amazing recipes on internet? Yes they add magic to boring fruits and veggies. Enjoy cooking. Try new every day but make sure it includes low Gi and crab stuff. Replace every fried thing you like with baked. Bake yourself a delicious whole meal brown bread. Trust me, once you start cooking for yourself, you would love yourself more. Do running or brisk walk for at least 30 mins per day. Trust me it's just a matter of time, you would see results.

I stopped every single medicine i was taking on my own. From April 2015 I started going to gym on regular basis, made my schedules and strictly followed them. I changed my eating habits too. Every fried thing was replaced by baked. Rice and all sorts of processed foods were completely off the plate. Only bread i consumed was whole meal home made ones. Fresh fruits and veggies became my pal. I am 5'3 and weighed 165 lbs in April now i am 130 lbs. I feel great with my body, Things are getting normal now.

A month ago I consulted a really good doctor. Surprisingly, she agreed with me, that I was ''experimented'' and should never have given contraceptives for over years and metformin in high dose instead folic acid +B12/B6 supplements should have given. Rather than checking for adrogen levels (which were damn obvious) she investigated for prolactin levels. Those were high!! it was never investigated before. So now i am on Dopergin-supressing prolectin levels, Metformin 500mgx2 and folic acid suppliment. I never felt better before. I still exercise every day. Doctor tells me to maintain this weight or lose no more than 4-5kgs.

PCOS makes you a lot slow, lazy, sleepy, ugly and moody. But, hey you can not let these cysts win right? Every time you do exercise and feel a little better while these cysts becomes a bit smaller and you become a bit healthier, it's when you tell those cysts to shrink there *kitten*!!! And every day we all can work hard and live for no other but for OURSELVES! And WE ALL KNOW THAT WE can DO IT!! can WE?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    of course it can work and i also havent seen the evidence to say carbohydrate restriction is the be-all-end-all for PCOS (I would even argue it is detrimental in the long run). I was able to lose 80lbs and conceive my son with portion control and metformin. It was a simple diet for me I ate what I liked but just in smaller amounts and avoided caloric drinks. (gained it back, but thats another story r/t depression, post partum, and huge changes in me life)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have. Untreated. 30 lbs with carb cycling otherwise I could not lose a lb. So yes you can!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm down over 100lbs have been on synthroid for 25 years. Eat less it will come off eat more you will gain weight The end no secret