Afraid to run on the treadmill

Options
Me again.

I've been going to the gym a couple of weeks now, and I've decided the treadmill is my favourite cardio machine, so I've been doing 30 minute brisk walks (4-4.5mph) every day, but I feel like I want to start adding jogging into the mix. I've read some stuff about incrementally adding short jogs to a walk, e.g. 4 min walk, 1 min jog and repeat to end of workout. However, a few things are holding me back :(

- I am extremely self-conscious at the gym, it's been really difficult for me to go at all but I'm forcing myself. I feel like the biggest person there, and the least fit, and that I'm being watched. I'm sure none of those things are true, but I can't shake the feeling. I feel panicky and so my heart rate and breathing speed up even more.
- I can't seem to even walk in a straight line on the treadmill, I have to hold on so I don't ricochet off the barriers, and I'm sure if I jog I'm going to take out either myself or someone else.
- I have no idea how to run/jog properly. My feet turn out when I walk so I imagine my form would be horrible.
-I worry I'm too heavy and the machine won't be able to handle it. (Currently 239lbs)

Mostly I'm embarrassed. I'm more afraid of humiliation than pain. But I feel ridiculous as the only one walking when the rest of the row are pelting away hell for leather.

I don't know what to do :(

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you can't walk on the treadmill in a straight line, do not attempt to run on it. That's the thing that stands out to me. Your other bullet points are minor. If you want to mix things up a bit, consider changing the incline either for your whole walk or for portions of it. I wouldn't go to crazy with it though until you can walk straight.
  • mandarkio
    mandarkio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i do a program that changes the incline. do you have any advice re: the walking straight? i'm wondering if maybe it's my weight throwing me off balance, so it could improve with weight loss, does that seem at all logical?
  • jemhh
    Options
    mandarkio wrote: »
    i do a program that changes the incline. do you have any advice re: the walking straight? i'm wondering if maybe it's my weight throwing me off balance, so it could improve with weight loss, does that seem at all logical?

I think it's the speed. 4-4.5 mph is a good clip, especially when you are first starting out. I would lower your max to somewhere around 3-3.5 until you can consistently walk straight. Then move up little by little.
  • mandarkio
    Options
    ok, thank you :)
  • jemhh
    Options
    ok, thank you :)

Sure thing. You really want to get away from having to hold on to the bars. Don't be embarrassed to go slow. When I first started running I was super duper slow. I swear my dog would run out to the end of the leash and then stand there waiting for me to catch up :smiley: You'll get there, though, don't worry.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Me again.

I've been going to the gym a couple of weeks now, and I've decided the treadmill is my favourite cardio machine, so I've been doing 30 minute brisk walks (4-4.5mph) every day, but I feel like I want to start adding jogging into the mix. I've read some stuff about incrementally adding short jogs to a walk, e.g. 4 min walk, 1 min jog and repeat to end of workout. However, a few things are holding me back :(

- I am extremely self-conscious at the gym, it's been really difficult for me to go at all but I'm forcing myself. I feel like the biggest person there, and the least fit, and that I'm being watched. I'm sure none of those things are true, but I can't shake the feeling. I feel panicky and so my heart rate and breathing speed up even more.
    - I can't seem to even walk in a straight line on the treadmill, I have to hold on so I don't ricochet off the barriers, and I'm sure if I jog I'm going to take out either myself or someone else.
    - I have no idea how to run/jog properly. My feet turn out when I walk so I imagine my form would be horrible.
    -I worry I'm too heavy and the machine won't be able to handle it. (Currently 239lbs)

Mostly I'm embarrassed. I'm more afraid of humiliation than pain. But I feel ridiculous as the only one walking when the rest of the row are pelting away hell for leather.

That's not even a concern. Trust me. If it starts smoking then they just need a better machine.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't ever let what someone that you don't even know stop you from getting to where you want to be. When I go to the gym it doesnt matter what they look like. I am proud of them for doing something to improve. I think most people feel that way too.

If you have trouble walking in a straight line on the treadmill then just start slowly. Build up the speed. When I first started running I was 230 and couldn't run for long. I started by Walking for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes I bumped u the speed to a jog for 2 minutes. Then I walked for 5 minutes and then again jogged for 2 minutes. I did this until I got to 1 mile worth of jogging. Over time I worked on getting the 2 minutes of jogging to 3 minutes and then 4 minutes. I also increased the overall jogging distance to 1.5 miles... 2 miles, etc.

Now, 5 years later I am 175 lbs and can jog as much as 6 miles without stopping.

The most important thing is to not worry about what other people think. Use what you think they think as motivation. If you do that some day you will have to ask them to stop staring at your butt while you run haha
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from programmes where the speed and incline may change suddenly - stick to manual at first where you are in control til u are more confident. Start slow, that's OK.
    Don't worry about other people - they're busy doing their own thing, or should be!
    Keep going, you're doing fab x

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I think it's the speed. 4-4.5 mph is a good clip, especially when you are first starting out. I would lower your max to somewhere around 3-3.5 until you can consistently walk straight. Then move up little by little.

This makes sense to me. How tall are you? I'm pretty fit, but I don't think I could walk 4.5 mph without feeling somewhat unsteady -- 4 mph is quite a clip for me and I naturally want to move into a jog above that.

Also, really, really don't worry about starting slow or walking -- not only is no one paying attention, but there are lots of reasons why people might find it helpful to walk on the treadmill, especially at different inclines. No one will think it's weird. (People are mostly self-absorbed, so they won't think about it.)

C25K is a good program that does a run/walk progression, but I'd wait 'til you feel comfortable with the treadmill.

(And like others said, don't worry about your weight, that's not going to be an issue for the machine.)
  • lesaw01
    lesaw01 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When I first started walking on the treadmill at the gym I had to hold on too because of balance. But over time I was able to let go, I'm only walking at around 3.5 mph. I always wanted to try running on the treadmill but had the fear of flying off the end and looking like a fool. Well, over the summer here the temps were high so I just decided to try running on the treadmill starting out at a couple of minutes at a time. I walk a few minutes and then run a few minutes and I am building up my running times. I still kind of have the fear of falling so I don't run extremely fast - only around 4.5 mph but I am making progess. I will always prefer running outside but when the weather doesn't cooperate I will move inside to the treadmill.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If you are having problems keeping your feet straight, see a doctor, preferably in orthopedics. Walking and running with abnormal gait can really put tremendous strain on your tendons and joints. You may need orthotic shoe inserts or physical therapy to correct your stride.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    About the gym (and life, in general) nobody cares. Everyone is too wrapped up in themselves to care about the strangers they see. Maybe they'll have a fleeting thought, then it's back to themselves. Don't ever be embarrassed at the gym. At the gym I sweat like CRAZY. Like literally drenched by the end. Sorry to anyone around me who might have gotten hit by my flying sweat. But I give no *kitten* what anyone else thinks about it.

As for the running, to me 4.5 seems like a very brisk walk (I'm 5'4", you're likely taller than me, though). Take the running on slowly. Bump it up for a minute, then back down, and gradually increase. If you want to hold on for a little in the beginning, do it. Aim to not hold on at all. I run every weekday and I'll admit that I sometimes have a little fear that I might lose my footing and fall, but I haven't yet.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Me again.

As other have said, nobody notices you. Pretty much everyone is focused on their own workout. And if they have headphones, they're REALLY tuned out to anything else.

Holding on to the treadmill is a bad bad idea. It messes up your form, ruins your posture and worst of all, it reduces the calorie burn somewhere between 20 to 40 percent. And in your case, it may have created an artificial psychological need that you need it to be safe, which is nonsense since I'm guessing you can walk perfectly fine off the treadmill without needing to hold on to anything. And since you think you need to hold on to be safe, there's simply no way you'll ever be able to run on the treadmill. You can't run and hold on at the same time.

You need to break this habit and probably the best way to do that is to reduce the incline to 0 and cut the speed until you find where you feel OK. Don't be surprised to find that you get tired more quickly and can't really go 4 to 4.5 mph at first. Holding on made your workout artificially easier. Work up from there.

Chances are, you'll do just fine. Human beings are born runners. It's instinctual and there's no reason to overthink it.

For cheaper home machines 239 might be a problem, but gym quality machines are sturdy enough to handle substantially more.

I started on the treadmill at almost the exact same weight as you and all I did was walk for 6 months while marveling at the people next to me going 6 to 7 mph. Now I go 7.5 mph or more in intervals and I don't notice anyone else at all. You'll get there. The hardest part is getting starting and keeping at it until exercise becomes a regular habit in your life.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You may find your balance is far better if you jog at 4.5 rather than walk. You'll probably also do better manually adjusting the incline. Real hills don't just jump out at you without warning!

I was around your weight when I started working out (and still over 200 when I started running 8 months ago); the machine can handle it. Your joints will thank you, though, if you start out nice and slow. Try something like "couch to 5K" to help you time walking/jogging intervals, and then set your speeds closer to 3.5 mph for walking and 4.5 for jogging. You can increase those speeds as you feel able, but don't rush it. Good luck with this new endeavor!

Oh, and no one is watching you at the gym. They're all too busy dying on their own treadmills to care what you're up to!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

^This. Lower your speed until you can walk straight without holding onto the handles. It can be done. I have balance/equilibrium issues and started out thinking I had to go all out on the treadmill and held on. I did some research and found out that it was the wrong approach.

It really is best to start as slow as you need to go to do it comfortably without holding on THEN work on your speed. Trust me, if you're going to be spending an appreciable amount of time on the treadmill, it's worth it in the long run to learn to use it to its maximum advantage.

Once you're using it walking in a straight line without holding on? You'll be ready to incorporate jogging intervals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    slow down- walk at 1-2 on the incline (that's more realistic- 0 is actually slightly down).

Where do you find your gaze is while you're walking? Because I know sometimes when I get TO distracted on a certain thing- i find myself kind of meandering on the treadmill. It happens- as long as you aren't falling off the back it's okay- I mean dont' make a habit of bouncing off the sides- but I mean- it happens -we aren't meant to stay in little slots and run. It's just a necessity sometimes.

Secondly- if you really are concerned- you can always go jog outside. - that walk/jog pattern is really helpful outside as well. you aren't required to walk/run IN the gym.
  • mandarkio
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your insights and advice :) I am going to cut my speed down until I can walk without holding on and go from there. It's good to know others haven't launched straight into full-tilt running, I feel like I can slow down a bit! For the record I'm 5'8", and 4mph does feel pretty damn fast to me, so I will try at 3.5 and see how it goes :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your insights and advice :) I am going to cut my speed down until I can walk without holding on and go from there. It's good to know others haven't launched straight into full-tilt running, I feel like I can slow down a bit! For the record I'm 5'8", and 4mph does feel pretty damn fast to me, so I will try at 3.5 and see how it goes :)

I run regularly at this point- and I tend to break gate around that 3.5 mark as well- mostly b/c I don't like walking that fast- it feels unstable.

so you're totally in the right space- don't fret!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started out as big as you and I can relate to a lot of your feelings. I think the toes pointed outwards and the poor balance are related to your thicker thighs and belly pushing you out of form, and a weak core. Core muscles are so important for everything later, and I promise you, there will be a time when these difficulties will seem like a faraway dream.

I started out on the treadmill as you are now, and in months I had enough stamina to run longer than my treadmill partner beside me. Hoo, rah!

So if I were you I'd work on your walking technique as laid out above, and some core exercises besides.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yeah you are wobbling because your speed is too high to walk. I wobble at high speeds because I can't keep up and I'm finding ways to compensate. You could set it to that speed (4-4.5) and start a slow jog intead of lowering your speed. I also walk with me feet going out a bit but I find when I run my gate straightens and my feet point forward.