Failing at losing

Options
Feeling down today. Gained again. 1 pound second week in a row. I try so hard but fail so bad. Maybe I should just give up.

Replies

• sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You absolutely should not give up! If you make your feed public, people can check out your food diary and exercise and give you feedback. There can be so many reasons for the gain.
  • jlancaster84
    jlancaster84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I feel you...I've been eating well, exercising, drinking water like I should. I lost 10lbs in 2 weeks...then I've stayed at 196 for a week straight!! I'm doing all the right things...iI I don't understand. It's so frustrating I want to eat my weight in junk food. But I keep pushing foward hoping for a small miracle and I'll wake up a pound less..I pray you keep trying and working towards a better you.

Jen
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Please manage your expectations. You did not acquire the extra body weight in a few weeks. Losing takes time, persistence and discipline.
    keep eating at a deficit, weigh all your food, use a food scale.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Weight is a ridiculous way to measure our progress. So many non-meaningful variables that mess with the results. It could be fluid retention due to excess salt intake, in your muscles from exercise, eating a higher percentage of carbs, or pms, or many other things. I measure my success by whether I stayed on track in my food diary (and for me, because I have fitness goals as well, whether I got my cardio/strength training in). Those scales do their own thing. I recently ate over my goal for three days straight (I didn't feel well and went to maintenance), and lost weight on the scale! Just keep doing what you're doing and don't let the scales get you down.
  • AJMB704
    AJMB704 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Good points here. It takes time, especially if you want sustainable loss and a doable plan. You didn't gain it all last week, you won't lose it all this week. Are you just starting to exercise? Maybe your body is retaining water while the muscles are starting to work? Are you weighing your food on a scale? It makes a HUGE difference. I swear by weighing food whenever possible, including in grams if I can.

Agree also that weight can be misleading. Measure yourself and use your clothes as a guide too! Good luck. Feel free to add me as a friend, I am checking in and logging daily.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I agree that while you might be just retaining water weight many people just don't count their calories accurately or they way over estimate their exercise calories. Hang in here and read some of the many posts in this board similar to yours. You'll get lots of tips and ideas.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. There are times I will show a gain of a pound or two and then a week later, a loss of 3-4 pounds. As suggested above, log log log, and from there look for a downward trend over a period of time.