calories burned breast-feeding

Options
2»

Replies

• lderby1
    lderby1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    kstar_lee wrote: »
    I exclusively bf, and have my calories set at maintenance. I have steadily lost 1lb per week for 14 weeks now. So 400-500/day.
    That's awesome! Go you!
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    lderby1 wrote: »
    Let's not be too harsh, maybe she's on to something. I got out of bed this morning...I'm sure there was some ab work there and walking to the shower surely burned some calories. My showers are pretty vigorous, so, cardio perhaps?

I ate breakfast.....my jaw was moving, so I'm pretty sure I can log that as circuit training.
    My drive into work involved periodic foot movement from the gas pedal to the brake, so I think I'll count that as step aerobics.

Reading this is making me laugh to the point I have to pee, so I've got some more steps and cardio there. By my calculations, I have earned at least 2,000 more calories over my TDEE.......*kitten*, I forgot to log the calories burned typing this response.

I wonder how many calories you burn being rude?

Please, one activity at a time.......let everyone workout this breastfeeding conundrum and then we can move on to addressing the amount of calories my attitude burns.

While, yes, I am being glib in my response, my response comes from a pragmatic place. I think people, and you, are confusing calorie burn with calorie needs. Will you burn so many extra calories breastfeeding that it will require you to log it......not likely. On the other hand, will you need to consume extra calories to account for the nourishment that you are providing to another.......I would think so, but I think the question of how many more calories is better reserved for someone who is more knowledgeable in this field.......not a bunch of yahoos in a forum (some of us have the tendency to be rude).

Considering that the increased calorie needs are due to the body burning additional calories through physical activity (lactation) I find it odd that breastfeeding has to be added in the food section. It is part of the calories out side of the equation. A breastfeeding woman is not just providing nourishment, she's producing it.

As for it being a question not to ask yahoos on a forum, you don't feel qualified to answer then don't. Just like you don't need to answer anything else on MFP. There's no need to insult yourself.

In doing research from sources written by people smarter than this yahoo (any many other MFP yahoos), it would appear that I am half-right.
    Yes, on one hand, your body is working harder to produce the milk and is burning calories (although most of your calorie burn as a new mom is from the constant movement and activity, and not necessarily from breastfeeding)
    On the other hand, and to the point that I made, a lot of the calories you are eating are not staying with you, but instead are passing through to your child.

So, you all are very welcome.......even a statement from me that is half-right is worth it's weight in gold.
    Also, thank you all.......admitting that I was half-wrong is a strenuous activity and has helped me burn some calories.......now, I'm off to log that into MFP.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    What many people here fail to realize is that if a breastfeeding woman eats too few calories, her body will shut down milk production to conserve energy. MFP does not know that you are breastfeeding when it sets up your calorie requirements. It is not something that is calculated in to your NEAT calories for the day, like eating breakfast and going to the bathroom. Whether you call it burning calories or increased caloric needs, it makes no difference. Breastfeeding women require more calories in order to both keep up their own bodies and produce milk for their babies. Will adding 500 calories a day slow weight loss? Maybe, but calories goals are trial and error any way. It is not up to you to decide whether a woman should eat more in order to nourish her baby or cut back and lose weight faster at the expense of her milk supply.

From the Mayo Clinic:
    Do I need extra calories while breast-feeding?

Yes, you might need to eat a little more — about an additional 400 to 500 calories a day — to keep up your energy.

To get these extra calories, opt for nutrient-rich choices, such as a slice of whole-grain bread with a tablespoon (about 16 grams) of peanut butter, a medium banana or apple, and 8 ounces (about 227 grams) of yogurt.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    In doing research from sources written by people smarter than this yahoo (any many other MFP yahoos), it would appear that I am half-right.
    Yes, on one hand, your body is working harder to produce the milk and is burning calories (although most of your calorie burn as a new mom is from the constant movement and activity, and not necessarily from breastfeeding)
    On the other hand, and to the point that I made, a lot of the calories you are eating are not staying with you, but instead are passing through to your child.

Well, in both cases these would be logged, though, since they are "calories out" from a calorie balance point of view, regardless of whether you burned them or you just lost them, they are no longer available for your use. In theory, you should also log about 450 calories lost by donating a pint of blood (largely from losing protein) but that's not something you will do on a daily basis, unlike breastfeeding.
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've seen this question asked a lot but I've never seen such silly and rude responses.
    When i was breastfeeding I added a further 500 calories a day. During growth spurts I'd eat a little more and on days he fed less perhaps not all my calories. I was eating about 1900-2000 calories and losing a small amount of weight (I'm 5'4").
    As he got older and fed less I added 300 calories a day.
    Listen to your body though because during growth spurts you may feel like nothing will fill you! But good job!!!
  • OblasMummy
    OblasMummy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I'm glad we have so many lactation consultants and pediatricians around here.

Exclusively breastfeeding is demanding on the body and if you don't eat enough your supply will be affected. OP, how far postpartum are you? I hate to say it, but I've never been able to do much of a calorie deficit while EBF without it affecting my supply. I still lost weight, though. I'd take it easy on yourself for a while. There's so much going on. <3

Thanks! Man some people are rude!
    I am 8 weeks postpartum and i want to figure in my calories burned with breastfeeding so i don't deprive myself too much. I have been eating way too much so this will help me get perspective. I lost weight with EBF last year with my firstborn with out cutting calories but the weight won't budge this second time around. Tkachuk for your support!

It is so much harder the second time! My second is 18 months now and I lost some weight then put it back on when returning to work! 3 weeks until my holiday is giving me a push again.
  • lderby1
    lderby1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OblasMummy wrote: »
    I've seen this question asked a lot but I've never seen such silly and rude responses.
    When i was breastfeeding I added a further 500 calories a day. During growth spurts I'd eat a little more and on days he fed less perhaps not all my calories. I was eating about 1900-2000 calories and losing a small amount of weight (I'm 5'4").
    Listen to your body though because during growth spurts you may feel like nothing will fill you! But good job!!!

Thank you so much! Ya i have never experienced such rude comments...pretty hurtful and discouraging when just starting to use the app and get in shape
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! Ya i have never experienced such rude comments...pretty hurtful and discouraging when just starting to use the app and get in shape

Consider the source before letting anybody discourage you. You'll get an idea of who does and does not know what they are talking about after a bit. Plus you'll get a bit of a thicker skin after time goes along.

Enjoy the time with your baby :)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 609 Member
    Options

I looked at your thread because I was curious about the question, and didn't answer because I didn't really understand it. Then started reading the comments to get a better understanding, and notice some of the posters seem to answer alot post on MFP, and never with any helpful comments, just rude selfish ones. You will get used to it and start ignore them.

• Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    @lderby1 If you are micro-managing your calorie "burns" to this extent your personal weight loss program is doomed to fail.

Clearly you know nothing about the demands breastfeeding has on the body. It takes energy to make milk!

I certainly didn't. Thanks to the replies in this thread I do now have some idea. B)
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Let's not be too harsh, maybe she's on to something. I got out of bed this morning...I'm sure there was some ab work there and walking to the shower surely burned some calories. My showers are pretty vigorous, so, cardio perhaps?

I ate breakfast.....my jaw was moving, so I'm pretty sure I can log that as circuit training.
    My drive into work involved periodic foot movement from the gas pedal to the brake, so I think I'll count that as step aerobics.

Reading this is making me laugh to the point I have to pee, so I've got some more steps and cardio there. By my calculations, I have earned at least 2,000 more calories over my TDEE.......*kitten*, I forgot to log the calories burned typing this response.

I'll never understand why when people read posts like this clown, they make it a point to post a negative comment. If you think it's a dumb question, then move on. Your negativity is not helping so keep them to yourself. And yes it's true fact women burn 3-500 calories a day breastfeeding. Look it up next time before you make your negative comment.
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I wonder how many calories you burn being rude?

Please, one activity at a time.......let everyone workout this breastfeeding conundrum and then we can move on to addressing the amount of calories my attitude burns.

While, yes, I am being glib in my response, my response comes from a pragmatic place. I think people, and you, are confusing calorie burn with calorie needs. Will you burn so many extra calories breastfeeding that it will require you to log it......not likely. On the other hand, will you need to consume extra calories to account for the nourishment that you are providing to another.......I would think so, but I think the question of how many more calories is better reserved for someone who is more knowledgeable in this field.......not a bunch of yahoos in a forum (some of us have the tendency to be rude).

Considering that the increased calorie needs are due to the body burning additional calories through physical activity (lactation) I find it odd that breastfeeding has to be added in the food section. It is part of the calories out side of the equation. A breastfeeding woman is not just providing nourishment, she's producing it.

As for it being a question not to ask yahoos on a forum, you don't feel qualified to answer then don't. Just like you don't need to answer anything else on MFP. There's no need to insult yourself.

So, you all are very welcome.......even a statement from me that is half-right is worth it's weight in gold.
    Also, thank you all.......admitting that I was half-wrong is a strenuous activity and has helped me burn some calories.......now, I'm off to log that into MFP.

• rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You crack me up! Yeah, maybe not helpful to the serious question, but I didn't take it as you being rude. I need to go log in the calories I burned laughing... My favorite comment was: "even a statement from me that is half-right is worth its weight in gold." :-)
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Such an idiot. Watch he'll probably check back to see if anyone else has commented because he needs to make an *kitten* out himself again with his ridiculous so called knowledge.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am perfectly capable of doing that without any knowledge, and I don't need knowledge as a crutch in my lifelong pursuit of making an *kitten* out of myself.

And yes, I'll probably check back again, but mainly because I see that pretty highlighted "new" tag on the forum topic. Like a cat with a laser pointer, I'm easily drawn in and amused.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP, add about 300 calories with a young baby, assuming you are exclusively breastfeeding. If you keep feeding on demand without any attempts at parent led weaning, as your baby gets closer to a year, then the calorie burns will increase to about 500 calories (contrary to what many people believe, calorie demands for breastfeeding increase with baby's age, as breastmilk changes to adapt to the baby's needs).
    If you are currently not losing, but not gaining either, a simple solution would be to just subtract 300 or so calories from what you are currently eating, and see what happens after a few weeks.