What's wrong with 1200 calories?

Options
I don't get it. I keep reading posts from people who insist it isn't possible to stay on 1200 for long. I've basically done so since December with a 54 pound loss so far. Am I missing something? Harming myself? I feel full and content and don't deprive myself of treats.

Replies

• Jasmunr
    Jasmunr Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I think it's highly dependent on height. At 5'0 right now 1200 is less than one pound per week loss for me. If you are much taller 1200 wouldn't be ideal as it would leave you super hungry and that could lead to binge eating.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Since you're older, 1200 is fine. You won't burn as much as someone a third of your age who wants to quickly lose ten pounds for bikini season, so your caloric needs are going to be less than them as well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Since you're older, 1200 is fine. You won't burn as much as someone a third of your age who wants to quickly lose ten pounds for bikini season, so your caloric needs are going to be less than them as well.

Agree
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Are we talking gross or net?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    It depends on your stats/calorie needs. A 5'9" 250 lb 20 year old woman shouldn't be eating 1200 calories to lose.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That all makes sense. I'm 60 1/2 inches and 62.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    Thanks. That all makes sense. I'm 60 1/2 inches and 62.

That would explain it then. It all comes down to math.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    2nd all that's said, I eat 1200-1300 and I'm 5'2, and sedentary. But then you have 6'5 men posting that they eat 1200 and wonder why they can't gain muscle.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I agree with those who mentioned that shorter individuals need less than taller ones. I would also put out there that I firmly believe that the vast majority of people who think they are eating 1200 calories are eating much more than that. Most of them are just making mistakes in their counting or doing too much estimating (not weighing food on a scale). I know I was terrible when I first started counting yet still lost weight due to the fact that I has so much to lose, the margin of error I had was large. This margin diminishes as time goes on and weight comes off. Those claiming 1200 calories may infact still be in a deficit, but they are likely eating more than they think. Especially if they are "easily" sticking to 1200 calories. While I'm sure they're are people out there who need to eat an accurately counted 1200 in order to lose weight, as was pointed out above, it's a minority of folks who are shorter and have smaller frames to begin with.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's possible. I've been averaging 1200 for a long, long time.

I have no idea why people like to believe that it's not possible and gave up trying to figure it out. They like believing it, they're happier with that thought, so whatever.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I have no idea why people like to believe that it's not possible and gave up trying to figure it out. They like believing it, they're happier with that thought, so whatever.

Just because it's right for you doesn't make it right for everyone. I thought we'd already established that though.

What is right for a 300 lb 30 year old male wouldn't be right for a 50 year old 5'0 female. What is right for a 300 lb 5'0 female wouldn't be right for a 100 lb 5'0 female. Etc. Etc.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Just because it's right for you doesn't make it right for everyone. I thought we'd already established that though.

What is right for a 300 lb 30 year old male wouldn't be right for a 50 year old 5'0 female. What is right for a 300 lb 5'0 female wouldn't be right for a 100 lb 5'0 female. Etc. Etc.
    You are arguing against something I did not say. I did not say, suggest, imply or even think that what is right for one person will be right for another.

In fact, I have repeatedly said exactly the opposite. Over and over again.

I don't remember discussing it with you. I don't remember discussing anything with you.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

You are arguing against something I did not say. I did not say, suggest, imply or even think that what is right for one person will be right for another.

In fact, I have repeatedly said exactly the opposite. Over and over again.

I don't remember discussing it with you. I don't remember discussing anything with you.

I was replying to what you said here not what you may have said elsewhere.

Not sure why you took it so personally. And you may very well have said it elsewhere, but I wouldn't know; you didn't say it here. Perhaps you're reading 'tone'. That never goes well.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Alizesmom, we are almost twins. I lost on 1200 and it ended up being my sedentary maintenance number too. 1400 TDEE maintenance.
    There is nothing wrong with petite people having a 1200 cal goal.
    Well done on your loss.

Cheers, h.
  • MissAmyx
    MissAmyx Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7' and have a 1200 daily limit.... Am I to tall for this to be doing me any good?
  • blankiefinder
    edited October 2015
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »
    I'm 5'7' and have a 1200 daily limit.... Am I to tall for this to be doing me any good?

Amy, what are your stats? Without any knowledge of your situation (other than your ticker that says 40 lbs to lose still), I would say it is probably ok, but you will need to make sure that you are netting the 1200 calories, not gross. At your height you wouldn't want to dip below that mark.

By the way, you are the same height as me, with the same pounds to lose goal that I had when I started. I was netting in the 1200-1400 range, and lost at a rate of approximately 1 pound every 5 days. (I thought I was netting higher but my burns must have been higher than I thought because I lost faster than expected, but my maintenance calories were correct based on 7 months of maintenance now). I started at 169 and bottomed out at 131.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It's dependent on a lot of factors.

I was on 1200 calories for quite a few months to lose the majority of my weight and I found it really testing. I was actually eating quite a substantial amount less than was necessary so I personally felt pretty deprived on this. Having said that, I work-out a lot so I did need the extra energy. For small and less active people, 1200 may be a little more manageable (stats also play a part). 1200 is the lowest recommended amount so it can be quite extreme for a lot of people.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    MissAmyx wrote: »

Probably...at the same height I lose 1lb a week on 1600.

The 1200 minimum is based in science. The actual RDA of all macros and vitamins and minerals can fit into 1200 if you eat almost perfectly....that means major planning on what you will eat.

I personally feel deflated, weak and tired on 1200 because it's not enough for me. I am 42, 5 ft 7 and weight about 143-144 lbs and lift heavy and am quite active.

And remember RDA are minimum recommended amounts...not the best guide.

I think that those who actually do 1200 a day are missing out on vital nutrition to a degree.

Regardless of age and stats very rarely do people sit down and plan to hit all required vitamins, minerals, macros etc.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    If you're shorter and lighter and/or older and you need to go as low as 1200 calories to lose weight, it is what it is. If you are able to lose weight eating substantially more than that, I do not understand dipping down to 1200 just to be able to lose faster.

I personally could not live on 1200 calories for any prolonged period of time. I didn't gain 100+ pounds because I don't enjoy food. I get 1600 calories a day and have no problem eating that and more. But I'm also 5'11 and even being close to goal weight, 1200 calories is not going to do it for me. I'd rather be a few pounds heavier than eating 1200 calories a day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I think OP is probably right in her calculations for her - a 62 year old woman, just over 5 feet tall.

Given that 1200 would be about right amount for her, there is no reason to think she is not doing that accurately or nutritiously