What does everyone do for toning?

Options
SharonBrobst
SharonBrobst Posts: 62 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I recently met my goal weight loss and now realize I need to tone up. I am not interested in building muscle mass but just toning up the flab that is left after losing 30 lbs. :-) Any suggestions?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What does that mean? You don't tone muscle. Muscle has tone but you can't change it's tone.

Strength training in maintenance will help with your body composition. The situation you are in is why strength training in a deficit is typically recommended.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    What you're looking for here is to condition the muscle. That would usually be resistance training (lifting weights). Muscle mass is built with progressive overload resistance and calorie surplus. You can get stronger without adding muscle as long as you're not surplusing calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SharonBrobst
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So I asked the wrong question....I am new at this. Is lifting weights the only way? The reason I ask is I have disk issues in my neck and lower back and need to be careful what I do etc... I realize I may need to get a personal trainer but trying to check out all options. Thank you.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    So I asked the wrong question....I am new at this. Is lifting weights the only way? The reason I ask is I have disk issues in my neck and lower back and need to be careful what I do etc... I realize I may need to get a personal trainer but trying to check out all options. Thank you.

Lifting and body weight training. What does your doctor say about either of these?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Body weight, resistance bands, TRX, lots of ways to strength train.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You can still resistance train. Your program would just have to be designed so that it doesn't cause issues with your issues.
    As to your issues to your neck and low back, have you been assessed by an orthopedist? Or was it just a GP?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You can try things like Pilates, too. I think you get more bang for your buck if you do it with heavy things instead, but doing a lot of reps of exercises like Pilates does help tighten. Ballet-based ones are even better, imho, because you are lifting your (heavy) legs.

I do weights (heavy as I can), some Pilates moves, yoga for both stretching and strength, ballet-based moves, and one of my absolute favorites to get a bit of cardio, too: belly dance! I have a schedule for the weights+yoga and add my choice of the others as the mood dictates :)

The ballet moves can double as cardio, too, if you do them quickly.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do a search for body weight exercises. Your body is your gym, you can do them anywhere, anytime and you don't need to spend anything for equipment. (Perhaps a yoga mat).
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I do various body weight exercises, with 20 lb kettlebells....long lean muscle happening here!
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I previously did a lot of high intensity body weight, TRX and kettle bell strength exercises. During pregnancy I had to cut back on a lot of that and I started doing Barre3 you tube videos. I was very skeptical at first, I'm a intense push it till you bleed kind of person, but was very surprised by the excellent toning results I got from the Barre, especially glutes, thighs, shoulders and back. It is very low impact but effective (not really for weight loss but for toning). I still do some general weight lifting/TRX, like rows and presses and squats and lunges too, it's just more difficult now that I'm in the third trimester.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    don't worry about the toning semantics people

yoga, pilates, body weight, resistance training, barre
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I do various body weight exercises, with 20 lb kettlebells....long lean muscle happening here!

No such thing as long lean muscle.
    Muscle has two set attachment points, between your shoulder and elbow for example. There is no lengthening of muscle.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ...I am new at this. Is lifting weights the only way? The reason I ask is I have disk issues in my neck and lower back and need to be careful what I do etc... I realize I may need to get a personal trainer but trying to check out all options. Thank you.

I have lower back problems and use weight machines that give back or chest support depending on the type of movement involved. Some of the equipment in the gym I use, is identical to my physio's and I also got two sessions with a personal trainer in the gym on how to use suitable equipment properly.

I dont use heavier free weights and do plenty of stretches beforehand and some afterwards.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »

The reason the semantics matter, is that people jump straight to "I don't want to gain muscles, so I'm not going to do those things that lead to gaining muscles; I just want to tone". But, that thinking can prevent them from getting where they need to be. People need to understand that they get the toned look by having an appropriate amount of muscle under a smaller layer of fat. The amount of body fat usually will be the determining factor. People who lose too much muscle mass usually end up flabbier than they want even at lower weights. Maintaining (and for some people gaining) muscle mass is usually the answer.

OP, I'd give this a good read as it may be what you are looking for: http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Correct terminology is okay to learn. You ever hear of a "toning" squat, curl, bench press, plie, etc? Probably not. They are just called squats, curls, bench presses, plie, etc.

If the OP doesn't want to gain muscle while doing these, I gave her the correct information on how not to do consume a calorie surplus while including resistance training in her program.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SharonBrobst
    Options
    Thanks all. There is a lot to learn I know. @ninerbuff I have been to my GP, Ortho, PT, Pain Management, Chiro etc.. in the end there is nothing they can do, unless it gets worse. I just have to learn to manage my pain as best as I can because I refuse pain killers.

I already have resistance bands and exercises from my time in PT, perhaps I will start there. I don't mind gaining some muscle...I am currently pretty weak from little to no exercise in the last 8 years since my car accident. I just started walking 15 miles a week in May of this year which have been great for the legs...I just need to work on the rest of the body now.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Correct terminology is okay to learn.

yup, doesn't even exist
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Compound lifting is very slimming. These types of free-weight moves work your entire body. Ask your orthopedic surgeon or PT for a specific program for your goal.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Correct terminology is okay to learn.

yup, doesn't even exist
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_tone

really?
    toning
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you lift weights you CANNOT build muscle overnight if you are a man with loads of testosterone and eating at a surplus hitting your macros. It can take years!

As a woman, likely eating at maintenance or a deficit with a teeny fraction of the testosterone, building muscle and getting bulky will not happen. What DOES happen is that you preserve what muscle mass you have left after yoyo dieting has eaten away at least half of it. *

@auddii said it best, toning is the appropriate amount amount of muscle with a thin layer of fat.

*NB noob gains are an exception, but even they won't make you bulky.