Fitbit band allergy - design solution request

Options
Darn it!
I got the Fitbit charge HR yesterday knowing there had been an issue with the band on Fitbit charge due to peeling and allergy. I should have known better than to trust a salesman but was assured the band issue had been sorted out and they had never heard of the allergy issue and not had a singe return. The box is glued and sealed so you can't see the instructions until after sale but once opened, it says some people are allergic to the band.

This morning, after just one night wearing the band, my wrist was blotchy and itchy under the strap and has remained so all day. No point returning it as it's the best tracker and the only one that does what I need it to do but am disappointed that Fitbit haven't changed the band on the HR when they knew about the allergy issue on the Fitbit charge.

I have decided to keep the Fitbit rather than go through the stress of returns and instead, cut a length of fabric to wrap around my wrist under the band and cut a little hole in it so that the pulse monitor can keep contact with my skin but this looks awful unless I wear it uncomfortably tight, the fabric slips about and am thinking about how to keep wearing it safely with an alternative protective layer such as a thin strip of leather to sew around the band. Am reluctant to glue or cut the band but it needs something under it.

I suspect that there is latex in the rubber compound as this is known to cause allergic reactions and I have had similar allergy to band aids that also use latex.

Guess I will come up with something that works in the end but wondered if anyone else has the same issue and found a neat and tidy solution they can share?

Replies

• x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to get fabric to stay put underneath, is it possible to make a sleeve with the necessary openings?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
  • saladcrunchy
    saladcrunchy Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Ah ha, yes, it will need a sleeve, good idea Thanks for that Marilyn and Teabea.

Must say I feel very grumpy with Fitbit for not doing something about it with the upgrade to Charge HR. I guess a recall of the bands would be too much of a loss. The flex band was better, more robust, didn't peel. They could make it waterproof too. Such a shame that the best tracker has more than one design flaw on the band. 2/10 could do better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nail polish might work. or the liquid bandaid-because its flexible.
    bf has issues with belt buckles
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Fitbit recalled the Force, not the Charge, due to allergy issues. They did change the material between the Force and the Charge/Charge HR, but some people are still going to have allergy issues.

People are reporting similar issues with the Apple Watch, it usually has to do with skin sensitivities to nickel and other metals.

Remember too that there's two different reasons people get rashes-some people get them on contact with the material due to allergies, and others get them over time because they don't take the band off often enough, put it on while their skin is still wet, etc., and that causes irritation. That second reason isn't specific to Fitbit-my Pebble Watch came with an insert reminding me to make sure my skin stayed dry under the band to avoid irritation.
  • saladcrunchy
    Options
    Moyer, What a good idea! I think nail polish my crack and be a bit scratchy but as it happens, I have a can of spray bandaid and will give it a go. Inevitably it will peel off but better than the tatty looking fabric and can be redone easily enough.

Deepest sympathies to your bf, I get the same even from the back of the stud that secures the metal button on denim jeans and have to tape it over. Thanks so much for the idea. I shall let folk know if it works.
  • mbaker566
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nail polish works really well for the belt buckles and probably the jean button backing :)

just make sure there is no latex in the spray :)

@TeaBea some of those covers are darn cute
  • saladcrunchy
    Options
    Yes, the covers are cute and a lot better than the bit of tatty remnant I have at the moment. I shall also be using nailvarnish on the demim stud in future but on the band, it isn't rigid like a metal buckle so may split, it is also chemical and may react with the rubber so I'm going to experiment with the liquid bandaid, not least as it is really easy to get off if it doesn't work. great idea. Gold star
  • saladcrunchy
    Options
    Thanks for the correction Qf, and it's true some are more allergic than others, also, one can become allergic out of the blue as I did, perhaps getting older and inevitable body changes. However, there do seem to be quite a lot of people reacting to the fitbit bands and it was a very strong reaction after just one night of wear, the mark stayed all day as a raised red band shape, very itchy and sore but fading a bit now. Oh dear, just found these; it's such a great tracker, no issues there. Hope Fit bit stop being defensive and just change the band; they are big enough to do it graciously without blaming people for poor hygiene - I would buy it again regardless but still feel grumpy about the hassle. Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqguMIyvYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jg4nccQm0
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Yes, the covers are cute and a lot better than the bit of tatty remnant I have at the moment. I shall also be using nailvarnish on the demim stud in future but on the band, it isn't rigid like a metal buckle so may split, it is also chemical and may react with the rubber so I'm going to experiment with the liquid bandaid, not least as it is really easy to get off if it doesn't work. great idea. Gold star
    star_of_the_week.png

• saladcrunchy
    Options
    allergy solution update:

1. washed and dried the wristband
    2. covered the working parts with paper
    3. sprayed on a coating of liquid bandaid
    4. left to dry for 2 hours but remained a tad tacky
    5. cut a strip of wax-proof paper to wrap around wrist under the band for the night
    6. all readings still working through the paper!
    7. removed paper and bandaid coating intact
    8. replaced band and shall wait to see if the allergy flares up again by tomorrow morning.
    9. so far, so good; after 4 hours, no itching or redness :smile:

• mbaker566
    Options
    allergy solution update:

1. washed and dried the wristband
    2. covered the working parts with paper
    3. sprayed on a coating of liquid bandaid
    4. left to dry for 2 hours but remained a tad tacky
    5. cut a strip of wax-proof paper to wrap around wrist under the band for the night
    6. all readings still working through the paper!
    7. removed paper and bandaid coating intact
    8. replaced band and shall wait to see if the allergy flares up again by tomorrow morning.
    9. so far, so good; after 4 hours, no itching or redness :smile:

yay
  • saladcrunchy
    Options
    ha ha,
    7 hours, no rash and counting..
    did you feel that Moyzer?
    it was a blessing gently falling upon your head - and if I'm rash free by tomorrow morning, another gold star shall be bestowed upon youx
  • mbaker566
    Options
    wohoo
  • saladcrunchy
    Options
    Moyzstar darling,

First night in band with coating of liquid band aid
    No rash
    No redness
    No peeling of the bandaid coating either!

It will probably peel a bit at some point but no sign of it at all so far and so easy to re-do. You do realize what you have done don't you? This is the solution! You clever, clever woman; thank you so muchxxx

media.giphy.com/media/QBi62lCEuabdu/giphy.gif
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @saladcrunchy I'm soglad it worked out
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the correction Qf, and it's true some are more allergic than others, also, one can become allergic out of the blue as I did, perhaps getting older and inevitable body changes. However, there do seem to be quite a lot of people reacting to the fitbit bands and it was a very strong reaction after just one night of wear, the mark stayed all day as a raised red band shape, very itchy and sore but fading a bit now. Oh dear, just found these; it's such a great tracker, no issues there. Hope Fit bit stop being defensive and just change the band; they are big enough to do it graciously without blaming people for poor hygiene - I would buy it again regardless but still feel grumpy about the hassle. Hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqguMIyvYE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8jg4nccQm0

The Fitbit warranty is great, if the band starts coming apart you can simply email them and they'll send you a new one in a couple days.