sick of eating meat? or cooking?

Options
I get these jags where I don't feel like cooking or I feel like I don't want any foods we have! Even when shopping now I just am not interested! I think im getting sick of meat! Im wore out on salmon, chicken, beef (not a fan), pork. I try not to eat lunch meat too often or hot dogs sausage but sometimes its what I have to eat cause theres nothing else. Tuna im wearing out on. Im wondering when I feel this way should I maybe try to eat mainly fish or vegetarian type? I have done veg before. Any no cook ideas or low carb? I don't know but im n9t eating prperly atm.

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Maybe the meats you are eating are too bland? Try to add some marinades or spices or cook it in a different way. I've actually recently decided to make 2 days of the week meat free lunches not so much because I am sick of meats but I read somewhere how having too much animal based protein isnt that healthy. Ill just need to make sure to have plenty of non meat based protein. Dont think there is anything wrong with having a couple of meat free meals.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a couple of meat-free meals, plenty of veggies and vegans here will agree. I don't eat low carb meals but will fix a plate of simple cold food if really don't feel like cooking - would choose things like smoked soya cheese, tofu slices, salads, tinned mixed beans or even just something like a peanut butter sandwich using tasty wholemeal or seeded bread or crackers with fresh or dried fruit and/or chutneys, seeds and nuts. All can be ready to eat in a few minutes.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I get sick of meat too and just do non-meat days
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    if you have a crock pot I suggest making some veggie soups. very little work and everything is ready when you get home. my favorites are veggie chili, black bean soup, veggie taco soup
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! No crock pot! But I think chili! Ive tried all the different ways and flavorings. I cant eat soy products so I try to minimize that as much as possible. Maybe ill try focus more on fruit and beans and veggies and maybe quinoa and some fish/eggs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you can eat fish, work in more fish! I wish I could! My protein struggle might end.

Yes, I get sick of meat. I just don't like it very much. Tuna is wonderful, but you can only eat so much tuna. Chicken is okay and I eat tons of it because it's so easy to change the flavor and shape of chicken that you can make it ten million ways and not feel like you're eating the same thing over and over, even if you are. Still, I don't love it.

Meat also sits in my belly like a rock. More than 75-80g of chicken in one sitting and I'm like, "Ugh! Too much!"

Cheese and milk - don't like them much and cannot eat large amounts, anyway, so no-go there. Cottage cheese is very helpful (but, again, sometimes enough is enough there, too.)

I don't get sick of cooking, but there are times when I'm like, "No! No more protein foods!" I get Sick To Death of spending all my meal-planning time thinking about protein and then eating foods I don't want just because they have protein in them. I want to eat what I like! Then I give up for a while and am like, "Screw protein. I don't care. I'm eating what I want."

Edamame and tofu have been a blessing. I get protein and don't have to deal with all the stupid meat.

I know this is little help, but wanted to let you know you're not alone...and I wanted to vent a little about the struggle of getting enough protein when you don't like the foods it's in. It sucks. :)
  • FHMatch
    FHMatch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having some meat-free days. It can even be good for your health. For protein on days when you're not eating meat, try beans and rice or other similar foods. Chili is a good suggestion! You're not alone. It's relatively common to get sick of the foods you're eating, especially if you eat a similar diet every day, so why not switch it up a bit and try some new things? Good luck!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of cooking casseroles, soups, and stews on weekends, and then freezing about 2/3 of the recipe in silicon muffin pans. After freezing overnight, the "casserole pucks" pop out of the muffin pans into freezer bags where I store them in easy single - serving "pucks".

When I get bored or burned out on whatever is in the fridge, I'll check out my puck collection. I've almost always got 5 or 6 different freezer bags, and I can quickly microwave anything I want!
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    I have a habit of cooking casseroles, soups, and stews on weekends, and then freezing about 2/3 of the recipe in silicon muffin pans. After freezing overnight, the "casserole pucks" pop out of the muffin pans into freezer bags where I store them in easy single - serving "pucks".

When I get bored or burned out on whatever is in the fridge, I'll check out my puck collection. I've almost always got 5 or 6 different freezer bags, and I can quickly microwave anything I want!

This is just awesome @rosebarnalice ! I have the silicone things and I never use them. But its perfect for single serve. Great idea!

Like I said I can't really do tofu /soy bc I have pcos and im supposed to avoid it.

yes these are greatvideas thanks!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Drink a protein shake!
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I seldom feel like cooking unless I have lots of free time. Why did you stop eating vegetarian? Sounds like that's the kind of eating you might prefer, and canned beans, frozen greens, tofu, etc make for really fast prep work. No reason to choke down meat if it isn't appealing to you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hummus- use as a dip or a spread
    Eggs- scrambled, fried, poached, omelet, baked, hard boiled, deviled, egg salad
    Cheeses- add to salad, eat plain, put in a wrap or a sandwich, cottage cheese with vegetables or fruit
    Salads
    raw vegetables, grilled vegetables, roasted vegetables, vegetable stir fry
    fruit
    yogurt
    Beans and Lentils- sometimes you can just replace the meat in your recipes with these or look for lots of great bean/lentil based recipes
    Nut butters- with fruits or vegetables or a sandwich
    Nuts and seeds

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/15475/everyday-cooking/special-diets/low-carb/main-dishes/vegetarian/
    https://www.pinterest.com/websitedesigner/low-carb-vegetarian-recipes/
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/grocery-list-vegetarian-low-carb-food-3926.html
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Well @sprepej I was eating what my hubby ate (vegetarian) but it was very heavily processed and lots of soy products and very high carb counts and I was trying to steer clear of the premade burgers etc bc have lots of soy or gluten etc. I know I can do veg again without all that but I think I wore out on chicken and aalmon bc it was all I could afford (sales). But I think I might just do beans and lentils for a bit.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Some blogs you might enjoy are Oh She Glows and Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. It's so easy to find whole food vegetarian recipes these days.
  • angelexperiment
    Options
    Cool thanks all for your very nice input.