Greetings from TX

Options
smlandry
smlandry Posts: 12 Member
Hello all! I've actually been using the site since Friday but finally have the courage/curiosity/time to post here on the message boards. While I really want to lose weight (who doesn't!), my main goal is just to get healthy. I'm a teacher and for 9 months out of the year I'm on high stress mode. I'm a mother of a toddler and my husband has epilepsy (thankfully controled by meds) so a lot of times I drive him places where in a normal life he could take care one thing while I take care of something else. I don't mind this, but I seem to attract stress and I don't handle it well. So I'm just looking for encouragement, new ideas on exercising (especially for bad knees), and good recipes that will help me feel satisfied in that I'm full and that I ate something good. I'm loving this site and wish I knew about it sooner! Oh and another major goal- get back into long distance running (I ran cross country in high school and loved it). Thanks!

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm in Texas too. :smile:
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Fellow Texan here!
  • meryllb
    meryllb Posts: 28
    Options
    i find that when i used have a lot going on (i am a full time student and more than full time social worker), i wouldn't work out as much/often because it was a whole event, you have to make the time, pack a gym bag, bring gym clothes with you to work, change, drive to the gym, blah blah... so i started purchasing stuff to use at home, i started with an elliptical (i actually found a great golds gym one for around 200 on amazon) and put it in my tv room. i didn't realize i used it so much before i started using MFP. i would hop on during my shows, in the morning while i was waiting my turn to use the bathroom, while i was waiting for something to bake, while i was reading a magazine, etc and when i would check my time on MFP i had logged in over 2 hours in a day! just doing 10, 15 or 20 min intervals through out the day! i just recently invested in some weights, resistance bands and some dvds (also from amazon), i think its so much easier to exercise when you have it all with in reach.
  • lgenschow
    lgenschow Posts: 1
    Options
    i am a displaced texan...have been living in washington state for several years and since it rains 10 months out of the year, i have become sedentary and plump....need to get back into shape! good luck to you and i hope that the exercise will help you cope with stress....i have read in several places that stress is a leading cause for weight gain regardless of diet, exercise, etc....i have been doing yoga now for a couple of weeks and the deep breathing exercise, if i do them outside of class, really help with the stress...just thought i would throw that out there...
  • razzmahtazz
    razzmahtazz Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and am also a teacher. I understand about the high stress for 9 months! In meetings, the administrators literally throw candy at us....
  • smlandry
    Options
    I'm in Texas and am also a teacher. I understand about the high stress for 9 months! In meetings, the administrators literally throw candy at us....

I know! Nothing appeases a room full of women like chocolate! It was a common joke in our building all this year that the way to get us to listen was to stuff our mouths. For my team chocolate was the only reason we survived the school year. Sad to say it but so true. :tongue:
  • smlandry
    Options
    Thanks to all for the howdys! My husband is always on me about my stress levels so doing this is making him back off a little let me figure things out. It being the summer and I'm home also helps. He just wants me to be healthy and I love him for it! Here's hoping we all make our goals!!!! :happy:
  • oyvonnee
    oyvonnee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Hi! TEXAS Girl over here too. I'm glad to see all the TEXANS and ALL of you are getting a friend request so get ready! I'm glad you joined and I think you will enjoy it. It's like Facebook for people working to get healthy! :-) Sending you a friend request. Yvonne :flowerforyou:
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    CommittohealthCHANGED Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi I am from Texas :tongue: