I just can't run... or can I?

Options
I'm thinking of giving the C25K app a go to increase my fitness level. Right now I'm using an elliptical trainer, but I'm getting bored.

My only problem? I can't run :s

I'm 34, 158 lbs (5'6", large bum, thick thighs), I have a very sedentary lifestyle and I haven't run since I had to at school. And I hated it, because even as a skinny teenage girl I couldn't get the breathing right and would get painful stitches all the time. The last time I had to run (while on holiday, so I wouldn't miss a bus), my insides were on fire and I thought I was going to pass out (I did catch that bus, though! :# )

But anyway, let's not get distracted.

Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I'm not a cardio girl at all, but I went from not running at all to running 5Ks with C25K. I have one coming up this Saturday, in fact, and I'm super excited about it! Go slower than you think you need to, get proper shoes, and don't be afraid to repeat a day (or week) if you need to.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a runner at all. I remember trying C25k years ago and not sticking with it just because I don't like running. Fast forward to two years ago where I found myself in a boot camp environment where we run all the time. I still don't love it but I have gotten much better at it just because of consistency. So even though I did not do C25K when I was forced to start running in the boot camp and weighed about 50 pounds more, I was a lot slower and it hurt more but really if you just don't stop you should accomplish your goal.
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I don't have the profile of a runner AT ALL and also have a huge bum and thighs! I started with walking for 6 months when I decided to lose weight 2.5 years ago. Then I slowly started doing something similar to C25K after that. Now I run half marathons regularly (have done 6 in the last 18 months) and I am training for my first full marathon in January. I am slow (very very slow) and when I try to go fast, I cant breathe. If you cant breath, it means you are going too fast. If you cant have a conversation while running, you are going too fast. I found starting my running on a treadmill very helpful to ensure I took it slow. I ran at 4.3 mph in the beginning. Now I run at ~5 - 5.5 mph, which is still really slow, but it works for me.

ANYONE can run if you really want to!!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I always hated running when I was forced to do it too. Ironically, I've always wanted to run, but dreaded working myself past how uncomfortable it made me feel.

I have a big butt and thighs too, and I started out walking. With walking, I started out with a cane due to arthritis. I built my fitness up from walking assisted to the corner to walking 3.5 mph (I can now walk even faster) for 5.5 miles.

That's when I started C25K. Because of my arthritis, I admit I prepared more than was probably necessary. I once read on here... I think AliceDark once said it... that running is a gait, not a speed. And that's been my mantra the whole time I've been doing the program. I'm in week 6 now, and my running speed isn't much faster than my walking speed, BUT...

I learned this through walking: my speed increased with time and the desire for it to happen. There was no conscious effort on my part -- it just happened.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Oh it works brilliantly. I couldn't run at all and now I do 5k's on my days off work. I'm just working on building up my speed right now.

There's lots of different apps. Personally I love the ZombiesRun! app. It's very entertaining.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Read Born to Run. Then start up your C25k app and go outside and run. Find a nice park or trail with some scenery.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Mangsney wrote: »

Neither could I until just over two years ago when I started C25K. Ran my fourth trail half marathon on Sunday...

• lisaloolovesblue
    lisaloolovesblue Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't done C25K, but did my own, similar thing. I didn't like running at all, but a couple weeks ago I started. At first, I spent the majority of the time walking, with a couple individual minutes running. I did that at least 3 times a week, for 30 minutes each time. It's been about a month now, and just yesterday, I was able to jog a whole mile. It took me 14 minutes, at a 4.5 mph pace, but I'm so proud of myself for not taking a single walking break. It works!!

A good rule is to push yourself reasonably hard, and only increase 10% per week.
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all these great replies; exactly what I was hoping for!

I need to think of the best time to attempt this. I'll be going to a nearby park and I was thinking of doing it in the morning, but if it's too early the kids will be on their way to school and I want to avoid that. Maybe after I have a small breakfast.

And I'd forgotten about ZombiesRun! I've heard a lot of good about it too.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I smoked when I started running. Ahem. That makes it pretty hard.
    As previously mentioned, go slow and go short, until you like it. You will. Then you can try to push and go further.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I once read somewhere that so many of us think of running negatively because it was forced upon us as a "punishment" growing up, especially in sports. "You missed the ball, go run around the track and come back and try again" type stuff. I think there's probably some truth to that.

Anyway, I completed c25k a couple months back and am now doing the 10k trainer. I never thought I'd be able to run but now I go 3-4 times/week and really enjoy it. As previous posters have said, start slow and take your time. There was one week in c25k that I needed to repeat and that is completely okay. Listen to your body and have fun!

Oh, and for reference, I'm also 5'6, started at 150 lbs and am 30 years old. You can do it!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I didn't use that program. But I did always swear I would only run if I was being chased. And now I do it by choice! I started slowly jogging/walking in intervals. I use strategically timed songs. Gradually, I picked up the pace and jogged more and walked less. Then I was alternating jogging and running.

You can totally do this! :smiley:
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving the C25K app a go to increase my fitness level. Right now I'm using an elliptical trainer, but I'm getting bored.

I'm 34, 158 lbs (5'6", large bum, thick thighs), I have a very sedentary lifestyle and I haven't run since I had to at school. And I hated it, because even as a skinny teenage girl I couldn't get the breathing right and would get painful stitches all the time. The last time I had to run (while on holiday, so I wouldn't miss a bus), my insides were on fire and I thought I was going to pass out (I did catch that bus, though! :# )

Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

No matter who it is, an elite runner or someone who never exercises when they first tried to run a mile it was hard. I had a similar story to yours in a way. When I was in my mid twenties I had let myself go. Was over weight. Never exercised. One day I was trying to run across the street to make it before the light turned, and I could not...I remember being hit with the realization: I can't run...I guess I will never run again. Ok fast forward ten years, I decided to make a change and discovered I could run if started slow and built on it. Lungs were on fire, legs burned, side stiched ...until they didn't anymore. Got to be I could pick up and run 10 miles without even thinking about it. Built a little day by day, week by week, and month by month until I ran my first marathon in less than 4 hours. Moral of the story is you CAN run if you just work at it. Get out there and do it! It will never be harder than the first couple of weeks. Get past those and you will be amazed at the dividends. Good luck!
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 y/o and never ran in my life until I started C25k almost exactly a year ago. I now take more pride in my ability to run than I do in my weight loss. Do it.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

We weight the same! And I'm 5'1, so chances are I have a bigger bum and thicker thighs than you and I run. I haven't tried this program, but have developed one of my own. I started walking and then interval training, until eventually it felt better to jog than power walk, easier even. I have to take my progression slow, because my knees are slow to warm up to anything new, but I'm getting much better. I can run a good three miles now and I'm not even sore the next day.
    You can do anything you want to do, other people aren't so drastically different than you or me, so lace up the sneaks and move!!!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that anyone can become a runner. I started running almost exactly one year ago to the day. I ran my first marathon on Sunday. I posted my full story just a few days ago: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10264725/couch-to-marathon-in-364-days
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It absolutely works! I had literally NEVER run a mile in my entire life (was always "sick" that day in gym class) for all the same reasons you have avoided it. It felt awful and awkward, and I couldn't imagine why people would do it for fun. After gaining some unwelcome weight, I started C25K in January 2014, completed the program, and have since grown to love running...which led to cycling...and later led to swimming and triathlons. I'm working toward my second half marathon right now. What I love most about running is the solitude and the fact that it's a sport I can take with me anywhere I go without being stuck inside a gym.

You can most definitely become a runner! Or maybe you'll complete the program and you'll decide running isn't your favorite thing. Either way, you can certainly do it!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try doing C25k on the elliptical. You can do this by working very hard intervals (increase resistance or speed but not both) with less hard ones according to the interval times in C25K. This will make your elliptical more interesting and increase your cardio level. It can also help you ease into running, if you so choose and find you enjoy it. There are too many good exercise options available to force yourself to do something you don't enjoy.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

I'm 34, 158 lbs (5'6", large bum, thick thighs), I have a very sedentary lifestyle and I haven't run since I had to at school.

Answer: Yes, if you want to.

Why? Because it's within the reach of the vast majority of people, and with age often comes more determination but also a willingness to look for answers. Train right and one can do amazing things.

Your age is not a road block nor is your lifestyle. I'm a computer geek, a consultant with a very sedentary lifestyle outside of my running and other passions. I started running again last fall at age 53 after taking almost a decade and a half off and gaining 105 pounds. Am I a runner now? Absolutely - I'm racing a 25km mountain race on Saturday in the pouring rain and will be loving (almost) every minute of it.

Running will help kick your metabolism into gear. I lost a ton of weight without making major changes to my diet, just by increasing my activity level. By adding running.

Danger: you might find you like it once you become good at it. Focus on it... and you will.