how to shop when you're broke and have a family

Options

Replies

• Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways I found was to write a shoping list and stick to it. Have a list in the kitchen, and as you run short write it down.
    If you buy only apples and bananas as your fruit then though its boring it neans you can spend more on veggies which are more nutritious.
    I used a lot of frozen foods too. They are cheaper and just as good for you. I buy chicken and Salmon and veg.
    Only buy what you will eat If the kids wont eat liver then there's no point in buying it no matter how cheap it is.
    stick to 3 meals a day, It isn't child cruelty to not allow snacks, Ànd they'll clean their plates at meal time because they're hungry.
    Be willing to cook from scratch, if you dont enjoy cooking then learn to enjoy saving the pennies it allows.
    We used to have junkfood night once a week, It still is a crisps,chocolate and pop night But as its junk you may as well buy the cheapest rubbish...as expensive crap is still crap but has a fancy label.
    Even though my hard up days are over I still do these things ,and we spend alot less than the average British family.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    By the way, you are doing great. You are a survivor. You are planning a better future for your kids.

I appreciate this! I have been searching and it's really easy to find "cheap, quick and easy" meals that are horribly unhealthy and equally as easy to find information on eating healthy on a budget when you are one person. I want to continue my weight loss but most importantly keep them healthy. I have to figure out how to cut out some time for meal prep. I think that would make a huge difference.
    There is nothing wrong with "cheap quick and easy- if it gets you the calories you need- it's fine- don't get so hung up on "is this healthy enough or not"
    We NEVER have old milk in our house. We can go thru up to 6 gallons a week. Especially during the summer while the kids are out of school. 3 and 13yo drink lots and lots of milk. I don't buy any juices bc it's mostly sugars anyways.

so- stop buying so much fricking milk- it's way to expensive to be buying regularly. You don't need it.

beans and rice- pasta- and all that "stuff inside the middle of the store" is where the cheap stuff is.
    stop buying fresh produce unless it's massively on sale and buy frozen.
    Buy bread and meats when they go on sale before they go bad- you can get a great deal that way and then just freeze them.

anything chili/soup/stew/cassarole related can get you what you want.
  • Orione2
    Orione2 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can have the same breakfast and lunch every day. You dont need 10 different cereals. Toast and something is equivalent and cheaper.
    Lunches bit if salad,cut up veg,make a bean dip. Either dip it or spread it on bread with the veggies in to make a sandwich. Dirt cheap.
    Make dinner. Chicken thighs are cheaper than beast and taste better. Roast with some seasoning and veg. Get a slow cooker and use cheap cuts of meat cooked for 24 hours with veg. Slow cookers use hardly any electric.
    And dont take the kids shoping with you if you can avoid it,or you'll come home with loads more stuff than you went for.
  • ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just want to start by saying THANK YOU for all of the wonderful advice, suggestions and words of encouragement. However, I must get something off my chest. Please stop telling me to stop buying milk. I understand that no one wants to read thru an entire thread when there are several pages and tons of posts but several people disagree with our milk consumption. While you are under no obligation to agree with my choice to buy milk I would ask that you keep it a little respectful when expressing your personal views on milk. I am ok keeping my kids in milk. I am ok if my daughter just wants a glass of milk because she just wants a glass of milk. We only use upwards of 6 gallons during the summer months because the kids are home and they eat a lot of cereal, mainly my 14 yo son who can eat a box (we buy bags tho, just using this as a size reference) at a time. I feel like I don't but a lot of unnecessary junk so the cost of the milk is ok. We do not buy soda or juices. All we have are milk and water. I do not want this to be misinterpreted in any fashion. I am not being hateful or rude. I just would like to ask those of you who who have a strong opinion on this, or any other topic discussed here, try to remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, views or feelings about things and there are more tactful ways to share that opinion with out insinuating that someone else's is the wrong one.

Again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share on this post. I, personally, have already started incorporating lots of the information shared here into our family. I know that I am not the only single mom-or any person for that matter- who doesn't make enough money to live comfortably and I hope that the information shared here is helpful to others as well.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I read all 6 pages.

My opinion still stands. You're asking about how to eat with less money- that's a huge chunk of change dedicated to something that could go to something more substantive.

But like you said- everyone's entitled to an opinion- including the milk. <shrugs>
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Save every veggie scrap (wilted veggies, ends of carrots, onion skin, etc...) in a zip bag along with bones. When the bags full, dump it in a pot to make homemade stock. You can also save "good scraps" like the few pieces of carrots or bites of chicken that didnt get eaten at dinner to use in soup.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Save every veggie scrap (wilted veggies, ends of carrots, onion skin, etc...) in a zip bag along with bones. When the bags full, dump it in a pot to make homemade stock. You can also save "good scraps" like the few pieces of carrots or bites of chicken that didnt get eaten at dinner to use in soup.

I keep this bag in the freezer. I roast the bones first for a richer flavour and I save the leafy bits from celery.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have not had time to read through all the replies but I want to add that I found a page on Youtube of a series of videos made by a 92 yr old woman who gives her recipes for Depression Era cooking. If anyone would know how to pinch a penny, it would be someone who lived through that! I watched only a few videos so far, but the recipes are wonderful and are similar to what my great aunts taught me as well. They lived through the Depression as well. There is a Youtube channel with lots of her recipes called Great Depression Cooking. The woman's name is Clara.
  • 4whirlygigs
    4whirlygigs Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    We NEVER have old milk in our house. We can go thru up to 6 gallons a week. Especially during the summer while the kids are out of school. 3 and 13yo drink lots and lots of milk. I don't buy any juices bc it's mostly sugars anyways.

Children don't need that much milk. Have them alternate with water. That would save lots on your grocery budget.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Lentils, barley, dried beans and eggs are all cheap and a great source of nutrition. Frozen veggies like peas and carrots hold up well. Even green beans can be ok. Look into co-ops. Sometimes they are available where for a few hours of labor you get free eggs and cheap veggies. Growing your own lettuce and herbs is very very easy! Other things require more work but those are easy as pie. Tomatoes aren't too hard either.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Also lettuce does great through fall and early spring depending on where you are. So you can do a late/early garden with it.
  • PennySwimmer
    PennySwimmer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This website is brilliant - http://agirlcalledjack.com/ - the budget UK cook mentioned further up. As for sandwiches, grated carrot and cheese is cheaper than ham/ sandwich meats (and less processed). You can buy oats that are quicker cooking than steel cut which take about 3 mins in a pan and you can get on with other stuff whilst they cook.
  • PennySwimmer
    PennySwimmer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Also stick with the milk if you like. I'm with you. We eat a tonne of yogurt and no-one would ever stop me doing that. Oatmeal is a good way of using milk - we make ours half milk, half water - since I often find my kids leave milk behind in their empty bowls of cereals, which is just waste.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Such a great thread! I read through the 1st, 5th, and 6th pages, so I may have missed some things.

1. For milk, you would have to check prices, but my mom used powdered milk when we were really poor. It was much cheaper at the time, but I don't know about now. Also, if you ever see milk on a crazy sale, you can freeze the whole jug and thaw it out later when milk is more expensive.

2. For cereal, my kids and hubby love it too. At our house it is now a treat for your birthday- you get to pick out any box you want that week. The rest of the time, I make oatmeal overnight in the crockpot. The kids mix in raisins or frozen fruit or cut up apples in the morning. I sometimes stir in an egg (it cooks in the hot oatmeal) right before serving to up the protein a little.

3. We are vegetarian so that saves. When you do use meat, use it as a flavor, don't serve a hunk of meat. Sub in lots of good grains and beans and lentils.

4. I made a crock pot lentil sloppy joe recipe that was cheap and amazing and easy. I just googled for it. Meatloaf was also mentioned. As a busy mom, the kind of thing you can make ahead, and that makes enough to last several meals, is so helpful. You can also make a big huge pot of rice, let it cool, then freeze smaller amounts. Let them thaw in the fridge all day then microwave to go with the meal. Rice under stews and soups is great, and makes them more filling.

5. Are your kids on free and reduced lunch at school? Is free breakfast an option, too? If so, are they getting enough at school? Can they get more? Ask. Our cafeteria has a fresh fruit table, and you are only supposed to get one, but I asked for my kids to be able to take more fruit, and they were ok with it. My kids will happily eat 2 or 3 pieces of fruit at lunch, and I am happy to let them!

6. Some websites like Budget Bytes have prices for recipes. I find this helpful as I don't like to take the time to price out all the ingredients.

• ShelliesTrying
    ShelliesTrying Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Cappy2013 wrote: »
    Also stick with the milk if you like. I'm with you. We eat a tonne of yogurt and no-one would ever stop me doing that. Oatmeal is a good way of using milk - we make ours half milk, half water - since I often find my kids leave milk behind in their empty bowls of cereals, which is just waste.

I don't intend on stopping buying so much milk. I was merely asking for some respect when expressing opinions. Everyone can have their opinions and please do express them but do it in a manner that doesn't imply that someone else's opinion is wrong because it's not yours. My son is 14 and eats like a horse and cereal is easy and quick for school mornings and during the summer when they are at home alone. They are kids so it's not like they are going to prepare a 3 course meal when they are home alone. So cereal and PB&J it is.

Thanks for your support.
  • suzan06
    Options
    You can cook beans in the crock pot, too- beans, water, spices. Some bits of leftover meat from leftovers to flavor it. Serve over rice, make a side of a frozen veggie, done.
  • suzan06
    Options
    My kids are 5 and 8 and they can prep easy crockpot stuff for me. My 8 year old is in charge of making the oatmeal every night before bed, for example. When its just measure and dump, they are all over it! Even the 3 year old would probably love having the "job" of helping the older siblings make the meal.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    if your kids love milk, cut back on the other sources of dairy in their diets. my kids get 3 serves of dairy a day, and they can choose between a slice of cheese (a kraft single or string cheese), a glass of milk, a go-gurt tube, or a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese.

Things may be different in my home than yours however, since I have an autistic child who would really prefer to only eat cheese and bread, for all meals. It helps us to tell him we need to pick another protein source for the next meal, ie- peanut butter.

Fwiw- I dont mind fruit juice, at all. My kids can have a 6 oz glass of juice in place of a piece of whole fruit once a day. Apple juice is a great source of vitamin c, and can help keep kids regular.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I tried powdered milk tricks a few times but it tastes quite a bit different. Mix it up the night before and let it get nice and cold. You might try half-and-half powdered with fresh milk. I did switch to powdered milk for nearly all my cooking, and that typically wasn't noticed.