Nut Free Vegans?

Options
Lately I am starting to be more and more turned off by the idea of animal products. I mean, if I'm not willing to eat my dogs, why should I eat a chicken or cow? I'm really considering going vegan, but find so many of the vegan recipes and food alternatives out there have nuts, and I'm highly allergic. Are there any nut-free vegans out there who can shed some light on how they manage this lifestyle change while avoiding nuts?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc) and legumes (beans, peanuts, etc) could be alternatives to nuts.

Another option is to eat eggs and dairy. :+1:
  • jaxjackjackie
    jaxjackjackie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan that's allergic to cashews and pistachios, and often have to avoid other nuts due to cross contamination. Nuts aren't a very good source of protein, anyway. If you still want to eat nuts or the like, replace them with seeds. I usually get my protein from fake meats, soystuff, and leafy greens.

Are you allergic to coconut as well, or just typical nuts? I ask because there are several very good vegan products that contain coconut.

I can eat coconut thankfully!
  • jaxjackjackie
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc) and legumes (beans, peanuts, etc) could be alternatives to nuts.

Another option is to eat eggs and dairy. :+1:

I'm also allergic to peanuts, however will definitely have to become more familiar with the seeds of the world!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are awesome if you arent allergic! A source of omega 3s too. Also a complete protein is quinoa. I think probably most add nuts for a crunchy texture or breading? Not necessary. Use flours instead like coconut, flax meal, brown rice, quinoa etc.oats. some veggies are high in protein like edamame. Try to make most of your foods tho and not depend on high processed meat subs and soy products as soy causes hormonal issues in sensitive people with immune diseases. Auto immune I mean. Quorn is processed but uses mycoprotein from mushrooms. Or make quinoa burgers. Also nuts may be used as a thickener but you can use xanthan gum, potato starch, or other flours.
  • kittykatjohns
    kittykatjohns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Www.ohsheglows.com is an awesome blog /she has cookbooks! She has tons of recipes without nuts
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    See if you can enjoy the many ways to present soy and tofu. Sunflower seeds uniquely are a good source for selenium.

Could you eat your goldfish? Maybe consider allowing fish in to your diet for some beneficial oily vitamins.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    --
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the problem. Simply exclude the nuts you're allergic to. The assumption is that you're eating whole foods as opposed to vegan junk/processed foods.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lately I am starting to be more and more turned off by the idea of animal products. I mean, if I'm not willing to eat my dogs, why should I eat a chicken or cow? I'm really considering going vegan, but find so many of the vegan recipes and food alternatives out there have nuts, and I'm highly allergic. Are there any nut-free vegans out there who can shed some light on how they manage this lifestyle change while avoiding nuts?

Let's see if you're not willing to eat dogs, why should you eat a chicken or cow

1) they are farmed as food
    2) they taste delicious
    3) you can put a chicken on a lead and walk it round the park
    4) picking up cow poo in a pooper-scooper might be tricky
    5) I've never eaten dog but I'm not sure how nice it would be roasted with potatoes and Yorkshire puddings
    6) chicken soup
    7) steak and ale pie

As for the other question? There's a long way between vegetarian and vegan and it sounds difficult, albeit not impossible to get your nutritional requirements from a severely restricted diet if you have the desire to do so
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Would you eat a dog if it were raise for eating like in Asia? Is that different than eating a pig? Some people keep pigs as pets.

I'm actually just curious. Not saying anything to be mean. Just wondering!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Let's see if you're not willing to eat dogs, why should you eat a chicken or cow

1) they are farmed as food
    2) they taste delicious
    3) you can put a chicken on a lead and walk it round the park
    4) picking up cow poo in a pooper-scooper might be tricky
    5) I've never eaten dog but I'm not sure how nice it would be roasted with potatoes and Yorkshire puddings
    6) chicken soup
    7) steak and ale pie

As for the other question? There's a long way between vegetarian and vegan and it sounds difficult, albeit not impossible to get your nutritional requirements from a severely restricted diet if you have the desire to do so

Assuming that OP has the ability to buy a B12 supplement (easily available where I live) or purchase fortified foods (many foods are fortified with B12), meeting nutritional needs as a vegan isn't that difficult. Fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans are abundant with nutrients. B12 is the only vitamin that isn't available through plant foods. Although some vegans choose to supplement iron, calcium, D, or other vitamins or minerals (just as some non-vegans do), these are all available through plant foods.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Are we playing the oxymoron game? I thought all vegans were a little nuts? ;)

I kid! I love my vegan friends like @janejellyroll!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are we playing the oxymoron game? I thought all vegans were a little nuts? ;)

I kid! I love my vegan friends like @janejellyroll!

I was a nut before I went vegan. They're completely unrelated!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I have to say your logic sort of escapes me here. People make conflicting distinctions between categorically similar items all the time. I eat plants, but there are plenty of plants you won't find me eating. The pine tree out back, for example.

That aside, if you tolerate soy, beans, grains, and green leafy veggies, you should have no problems getting protein. Nuts add crunch, variety, and a bit of protein, but I tend to add them to my diet when I want fat.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I've eaten dog
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I've eaten dog
    So tempted. So, so tempted. But... no.

• jaxjackjackie
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Would you eat a dog if it were raise for eating like in Asia? Is that different than eating a pig? Some people keep pigs as pets.

I'm actually just curious. Not saying anything to be mean. Just wondering!

No. I would never eat a dog. I don't really ever want to eat another animal, hence my question