Nut Free Vegans?

Options
2»

Replies

• jaxjackjackie
    jaxjackjackie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Lately I am starting to be more and more turned off by the idea of animal products. I mean, if I'm not willing to eat my dogs, why should I eat a chicken or cow? I'm really considering going vegan, but find so many of the vegan recipes and food alternatives out there have nuts, and I'm highly allergic. Are there any nut-free vegans out there who can shed some light on how they manage this lifestyle change while avoiding nuts?

Let's see if you're not willing to eat dogs, why should you eat a chicken or cow

1) they are farmed as food
    2) they taste delicious
    3) you can put a chicken on a lead and walk it round the park
    4) picking up cow poo in a pooper-scooper might be tricky
    5) I've never eaten dog but I'm not sure how nice it would be roasted with potatoes and Yorkshire puddings
    6) chicken soup
    7) steak and ale pie

As for the other question? There's a long way between vegetarian and vegan and it sounds difficult, albeit not impossible to get your nutritional requirements from a severely restricted diet if you have the desire to do so

If I had my own farm and knew the treatment of the animals providing the milk and eggs, I would definitely become a vegetarian, however unfortunately it is impossible to really know how the animals and animal products you buy in supermarkets have been treated, which makes me lean more towards veganism. I am slowly cutting all these things out of my diet, not because I don't like them or the taste (I do), but because every day they become more nauseating to think about. No hate to meat eaters, I currently am one because it is easier to hit my protein goals by eating these things, just leaning away from it. Live you life and do your thing.
  • jaxjackjackie
    edited October 2015
    Options
    -

• jaxjackjackie
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I have to say your logic sort of escapes me here. People make conflicting distinctions between categorically similar items all the time. I eat plants, but there are plenty of plants you won't find me eating. The pine tree out back, for example.

That aside, if you tolerate soy, beans, grains, and green leafy veggies, you should have no problems getting protein. Nuts add crunch, variety, and a bit of protein, but I tend to add them to my diet when I want fat.

I'm not asking CAN you be a vegan without eating nuts. I am asking, considering the majority of vegan recipes I've ever read contained nuts, how do nut free vegans manage their lifestyle and allergy.
  • jaxjackjackie
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are we playing the oxymoron game? I thought all vegans were a little nuts? ;)

I kid! I love my vegan friends like @janejellyroll!

I'm already a nut :P
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I have to say your logic sort of escapes me here. People make conflicting distinctions between categorically similar items all the time. I eat plants, but there are plenty of plants you won't find me eating. The pine tree out back, for example.

That aside, if you tolerate soy, beans, grains, and green leafy veggies, you should have no problems getting protein. Nuts add crunch, variety, and a bit of protein, but I tend to add them to my diet when I want fat.

I'm not asking CAN you be a vegan without eating nuts. I am asking, considering the majority of vegan recipes I've ever read contained nuts, how do nut free vegans manage their lifestyle and allergy.

Where are you looking for recipes? I certainly know of some recipes with nuts, but I'm reviewing my cookbooks in my head and I don't think the majority of the recipes in my vegan cookbooks rely on nuts. In a given week, I may not even eat them -- though I'm not allergic. Although you won't be able to do cashew sauces/cream, most entrees should be open to you. Some of my favorite cookbooks are by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Isa Does It, Vegan with a Vengeance, Veganomicon), Robin Robertson (Vegan on the Cheap), and Donna Klein (Supermarket Vegan). You should be able to find nut-free recipes in all of these. The "Oh She Glows" blog also has some nut-free recipes. I haven't cooked a lot of her stuff, but I've only heard great things.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'd say try Pinterest. Also, anyone here of the Daisy dairy cow bust? Sick. Will not be eating that brand again.