Am I underestamating my needed TEE?

Options
So little background about me before I start

5' 10" male 32 years. Medium/Large frame
I started using MFP Aug 3, 2015. Was at 230lbs with a starting goal of 180 (secondary goal 170 from there)
Had it set in MFP to lose 2lbs a week, moderate active
Lost over 10lbs the first week just cutting out fast food, and stuck to just under the limit MFP gave me (i think roughly 2500)

Bought a UP Move to keep track of steps taken at work and integrated it with MFP
I use MapMyRide and have been doing some bike rides when weather is nice. Maybe 2-3 rides a week, roughly 1 hour length/13.5 miles. Occasionally 2.5 hours/28-33 miles on the weekend.

After reading through the forums, i took advice of setting my activity level in MFP to Sedentary and letting the apps micromanage my final numbers. Ive updated my MFP goals with my weight weekly. My last update was Oct 3, 193.8 weight, and it gives me 1500 daily. This last weekend I was a bad boy but I believe by tomorrows weigh-in I will be back on track.

The main problem i have been having lately is I have been completely ravenous. Especially when I get home from work. I use half my daily allowance for my breakfast and lunch (with a midday break snack). But once i get home, its like I cannot find anything to hold me until dinner, or easily keep under budget.

Now Im sure that it was easier for me to get by previously because of my generous fat stores, but its like its just not cutting it anymore.
Should I change my goal settings from sedentary to something else?

I am a carpenter.... but its not regular carpentry at the moment. The Very Active level of Carpentry I believe is ment for working on houses/office buildings. That is very active. Currently my position is in a shop, more along the lines of cabinet builder. Always on my feet, average 2.5-3 miles of walking just at work, much light lifting ( 45-130 lbs) with the occasional heavy lifting ( 200-300+ lbs). But it fluctuates daily. Some days doing nothing but working with handtools and 10 lb sheets of laminate, others I am building crates and lifting 90 lb sheets of plywood.
Have I been underestamating my activity levels and had MFP set wrong the whole time? Am I better off using the lightly active or active levels in my goals to help offset my craving for food in late afternoon/evening?

Replies

• Tinawood40
    Tinawood40 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That sounds like lightly active or more to me.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that you're still set to a pace of 2lbs/week. An 1000/day calorie deficit is no longer appropriate for you, since you're closer to your goal and have less to lose. Adjust to 1lb/week to lose those last 15-20 pounds.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I set the goals to slightly active and 1 lb/wk. Look at all those glorious extra calories now :D
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I set the goals to slightly active and 1 lb/wk. Look at all those glorious extra calories now :D

Yep! The winner is the one who gets to eat the most food while still losing weight. Good luck. You've got this.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely up the amount of calories you're eating a day! I never eat less than 1600 cals. I'm female, 5'1 (and a third on a good day!) and weigh 165lbs. I still lose eating this amount and would be starving if I didn't! I use my fitbit to estimate my tdee. It puts me around 2100-2300 calories burned a day. My only activity is walking and running around after two kids all day. I tend to average between 10k-13k steps a day.