Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mine actually went up.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    yeah I could see back pain happening with loose bras at that size....no support. Nordstrom is a good place to get fitted, if the correct size doesn't help the pain I'd get it checked. I have 12-20 bras at any one time and I"m just constantly buying them when I see one I like then rotating old ones (I consider a year too old) to the trash. I cannot imagine owning just one.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't have large breasts, so I've been able to buy "cheap" bras that fit A, B, C cups, just went down the appropriate band size. Now I'm wearing 36C pull-over/sports bras from Wal-mart.

I went through 3 bra sizes purchases during my weight loss - 48D, 40C, and 36C.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Kalikel that "professional" fitters don't always know what they're doing. If they're a fitter for a store that offers limited stock, you're going to get bad information.

You can measure yourself very easily.

Measure under your bust. This is your band measurement.

Next, without a bra, bend over at the waist and measure at the fullest part of your breast.

Cup size?

21b15928297332cb9651eabeec028ed9.jpg
  • Saraw0520
    Saraw0520 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    craziedani wrote: »
    depends... did you get measured for your size or did you just assume? your cup size changes too when you lose weight to an extent. Plus with that size I would imagine you need something super supportive to prevent back pain.
    This. You need to get professionally measured. I started my weight loss journey at a 42F and am now in a 38H. My band went down while cup stayed the same, hence the cup letter difference. Lane Bryant is excellent with measurements.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with Kalikel that "professional" fitters don't always know what they're doing. If they're a fitter for a store that offers limited stock, you're going to get bad information.

Next, without a bra, bend over at the waist and measure at the fullest part of your breast.

Cup size?

Just a note, this chart works for some, but if you have a bit of upper back fat, it will throw your numbers off dramatically. Told me I was a 40 F back when I was heavier. I tried one just to see... lol I could have fit a small ham in there along with my boobs. Fortunately that fat has been the quickest to go, so now I'm a 38/36 D or so, which is what it says. I just try them and see.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I went down one size after my 37ish lb loss. None in the band, because I have a large ribcage and it really was all ribcage!

What ended up being really nice is that I kept a cup size up compared to last time I was this size a few years ago! So my boobs got bigger in a way. I only lost one cup size (I had gained at least 2 with my extra weight).

I you don't need lots of support and don't mind no underwire, Fruit of the Loom has very cheap multi-pack jogbras that worked for me. I liked them in the summer when brastraps show anyway. Don't get the spaghetti strap kind if you need support, but the tank kind I got worked well for a long time before wearing out. Now they are too big for me, but they were cheap :)
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Cup size?

I tried this method out recently when I started escaping from my bras, and came up two band sizes smaller and two cup sizes larger. I was sceptical initially, but the new self-measured size is the best fitting bra I've ever owned.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice about bra sizes. Man, I am tiny compared to all of you....at a "c" cup. But my "girls" did a lot of jiggling when I jogged on the treadmill or did any running type of activity and someone at the gym suggested that I wear 2 bras: a regular bra and then a sport bra over it. You really need the support when you start getting active. If I jiggled, I can't imagine what you all are going through...... I second going to the doctor if the back pain continues. It may just mean that you are not getting the support if you have bad posture when working out...or it may be more serious.
  • j9x794
    j9x794 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for your tips! It has been a couple of days now with new bras and the pain is gone, which is great.

As for high impact bras, shock absorber bras are great! I did not have problems with jiggling even at my size.

• amy102875
    amy102875 Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I lost 67 lbs. I went from a 40DDD (which in reality probably should have been a cup size or two higher) to a 34DD/DDD. So the cup size doesn't look like it went down, but in reality it did by the way measurements work. I got fitted after the first 40 lbs. and then again recently when they started to feel loose again.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI for anyone reading this, there's a lovely group of people on Reddit in a forum called "A Bra That Fits." The "bent over" method works for some people, but not all. There's a few different ways to measure, and there's calculators that might get you close. The folks on ABTF can help point you in the right direction and help you get a better estimate. But there's nothing like going to a professional bra shop (not typically located in a department store) where they import bras from England and Europe (if you're in the states). Every mall shop I went into -- even the fancy ones like Nordstrums -- would put me in something like a 42DDD. But my REAL size was something more like 36DDDDDD. Most stores don't sell that size. So for most of my life my bras did not fit. I feel if you've ever had problems being happy about how your girls look in things, you owe it to yourself the next time you're in a town that has a bra boutique to get fitted and try on bras. It will change your world, if you've been wearing the wrong size.
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have gone down so far... I went from a 46 C to a 40 B so far... but i am guessing i will go down more too.. (hopefully not too much more in cup size!!) I still have about 85 ish pounds to go to my final goal weight so I am guessing i will go down more... I just hope i don't lose it in the cup size..
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    j9x794 wrote: »
    I get measured at Nordstrom. So I am hoping that the back pain will go away.

did anyone else experience this? having back pain from looser bras after some weight loss?

it will cost a lot if I need to replace the bras every two months! But I will take it! I hope I will get to some normal sizes soon, so the cost should go down.

no, you should not have back pain. you need a different brand of bra or a different size. While losing weight make sure to buy bras where you're sizing to the largest hook size on that bra. Three GOOD bras should be enough at any one given point in time if money is tight.

You really only need one flesh colored bra. Wash it at night to wear again the next day. I've gone for years only owning 1 bra at a time (B/c i'm a minimalist, not because of weight loss). I also own a sports bra for running, but I don't wear it out of the house if Im not on a trail.

Yeah, I meant one sports bra and two regular bras. One to wear while the other one dries. Good job minimizing down to two!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the 'old' way of measuring was to add 5 inches to the band measurement, and then use the difference between that and the bust measurement to get the cup size. As a result, most women ended up in the standard department store range of 32-40, A to DD. It meant the stores could stock a narrower range of sizes, and the manufacturers didn't have to make as many different sizes. But it also meant that most women were in bras too big at the band and too small at the cup, so they'd ride up and you wouldn't get proper support from the band. Lots of chafing, back problems and discomfort have been caused by the "add 5 inches" method.

To this day, most department stores still only carry those sizes. Some of the stores in the United States are getting better, but here in Canada, that's remained the standard. And most employees are still taught to measure that way, essentially fitting you into what they sell as opposed to what you need.

I was shocked the first time I learned that I wasn't a 38B but a 34DDD. I was like, bras come in size DDD? I didn't get it. But I bought one and it was the most comfortable bra I ever owned, and I never looked back.

These days I actually measure out at a 28DDD/28E, but once again I'm back in 30Ds because nobody around here sells a 28 band size. I know they exist in the US, but there's no practical way for me to try one on or return an online order (which, after shipping, exchange rate and duty would end up costing me a small fortune) if it doesn't fit. So 30D it is. Which, on a slightly smaller hook, isn't bad. But I still wish there were more options for us ladies with smaller ribcages.

(Side note: People are shocked when they hear I'm a D, DD or E. 'Cause I don't look all that big. But it's not the absolute size of the breasts, it's their size relative to the ribcage that counts. D cup isn't all that big in most cases.)
    j9x794 wrote: »
    As for high impact bras, shock absorber bras are great! I did not have problems with jiggling even at my size.

Agreed. My sports bra is from Shock Absorber and it works great. Other brands to consider are Moving Comfort, Freya and Panache (their sports lines).

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty small and tend to lose in "the girls" early on. I prefer small though.

I've lost about 30lbs and I've gone from an overflowing 36C to a loose 34B. I'll be back in an a 34A when I lose another 10-15lbs.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Freya sports bra rec. I have pretty big cups and don't move at all in my Freya bra when I'm jogging.
  • spiritlevel9
    spiritlevel9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find that the adding 5 inches to the under bust measurement, works best for me. I have a wide ribcage and not much fat on my upper body. This measurement has remained the same after weight loss (33inches) Fullest part of the breasts are 35 inches making me a 38AAA. I was able to get a 38aa from triumph and this fits well band size but there is room in the cup! Luckily, I don't need much support.

I did try the other method which came out 34B. I tried some on. Very tight around the diaphragm and cups not spaced wide enough to contain what little breasts I have.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I want to burn my bras. I went from having small breasts to having almost nothing. So hard to find a bra that looks pretty and makes me feel confident now. Unless I spend a crap ton of money. Maybe it's worth it though.