Weighing at different times of day

Options
t_rog
t_rog Posts: 363 Member
At my home scale in the morning i'm one weight. At the gym around 5(when I usually can get there), i'm usually 3 lbs heavier. Which one is right? Am I somewhere in the middle?

Replies

• jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at the same time every day on the same scale (usually). Every scale is different, so to pin point which one is right is impossible. I recommend just weighing yourself on the same scale at the same time and only use that weight. And when doing "weigh-ins", use one day of the week and stick with it.

I weigh myself everyday, sometimes more than once, but then again Im an Obsessive Weigher hehe but for my weekly weigh ins, I weigh in Sundays right after I wake up after potty time. :)

Jessica
  • ronniesgirl1982
    Options
    I can weigh myslef in the morning and it can say something different to that in the evening. I weigh myself on Friday morning just after I get up and head for the loo. xx
  • Jupiter11
    Jupiter11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They could both be correct, I weighed myself before going to bed last night and I was 2 llb heavier than I am this morning. So a 3lb difference during the day is nothing, which is why for tracking your weight loss it's best to stick to one scale at the same time each week.
  • want2walknotwaddle
    want2walknotwaddle Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i am also a serial weigher but disregard any weights that arent first thing on a morning after toilet and before eating
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first thing in the morning as soon as I have been to the toilet! It's not my lightest time but it gives an indication. I did an experiment last year which really helped me put the number on the scales into perspective - I weighed myself several times a day for a week and the results were very interesting. Often I gained 2-5lbs overnight with my 'lightest' time being the middle of the day, even after eating breakfast and lunch! Cardio exercise makes no difference tomy weight however much I sweat (some people lose 2-3lbs in an hours run.). I can also gain weight within an hour even without eating or drinking anything.

So it made me much less focussed on the reading on the scales every morning and now I just use it as an indication of what's happening. So long as the trend is generally down, I know that MFP is working!!

B x
  • ronniesgirl1982
    Options
    Is it not also possible that as women different times of the month and certain days of the week we will be heavier. I know I hold alot of fluid in my boobs about 2 weeks before my period so surely I will be heavier then?
  • xcrystalx
    xcrystalx Posts: 19
    Options
    the morning one is right, you only weigh heavier later on in the day because of water and food weight but once you have been to the toilet that will go. just stick to weighing yourself in the morning.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    As I understand it your morning weigh in shows your true weight. Most people will 'gain' weight throughout the day due to eating and drinking.

I varey 2-3 lbs from morning to the evening when I was pregnant it would be as much as 5 lbs difference!! I'm guessing that was water retention.

If i weight myself before and after exercise there's a 1-2lbs difference, depending on the workout.