success stories from people who suffer with anxiety

Options
Last year I started suffering with anxiety.
its been a long battle and although things are so much better than last year. I am struggling to get back into dieting and exercise.
I used to be brill with exercise pre anxiety 3/4 time a wk at gym.
I've been told exercise is good for anxiety. yet I am struggling to see how that works and also I feel nervous anxious about going back to it.
has anyone got through anxiety and had success with diet and exercise?

Replies

• FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Exercise does help with mine. There is a meditative element to any exercise that calms your mind (in my opinion). Plus, when you feel better about yourself and are able to commend yourself for small achievements every day, the anxiety gets better.

Is your anxiety about exercising or about going to the gym to do it? If the latter, start out at home with DVD's or simple squats, lunges, etc. If it's just about exercise, start small, 5-10 minutes, then add a minute every other day, week, etc. until you are comfortable.

Eating right and exercising, for me, are key to keeping anxiety/panic attacks at bay.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i work with my anxiety
    i accept i have anxiety and ask what can i do to make myself feel better. also, breaking things into smaller problems/situations make it easier. I am not going to a party, I'm going to get into my car, i'm going to drive for a bit, i'm going to walk from my car to a door. i'm going to knock. etc

same can be done with the gym. you can also ask for a tour and tutorial to make you more comfortable with the equipment

dieting is just for today and nothing to worry about-that and i don't really diet. i just count calories.
  • dm1372
    dm1372 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your body releases endorphins. Endorphins are great for lots of reasons but the main one we think of is that it lifts your mood. Exercise scientifically makes you happier! It helps with my depression immensely.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Exercise has certainly helped me with anxiety and depression. So does yoga and breathing exercises.

As for diet, I do feel better when I limited added sugar but I think that's more about having better energy than less anxiety.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It has helped me with anxiety and depression. I have been a lot more happy the last couple of months. My husband and I even fight less, plus, I am so happy and proud of myself for my loss, that it helps. I feel like I get anxiety when I CAN'T exercise though. I have a hard time not going out 7 nights a week walking.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I found walking to be the best stress reliever for me. It helped me settle my thoughts etc and released all those great feel good chemicals, I think that if I felt going to the Gym was the only option exercise wise I would have baulked.

I also found that the higher the intensity of the work-out caused me more issues with rising anxiety.....I ended up quitting do DVD's at home that were fast paced because I just felt more panicked afterwards and interestingly the weight loss that I had going fine just stalled out.....now that may have been due to changing my routine and water retention etc etc....but I had a look at the effects of increased cortisol levels on weight loss and thought it was best to go back to what had served me well in the past and it worked for me.

For anxiety management the best tools I have found for me have been in being diligent in getting into daily meditation, learning and employing mindfulness when I start to feel overwhelmed, reducing my caffeine intake (I was a coffee fiend), deep breathing and getting back into kind of my version of Yoga/Tai Chi/stretching motions which I "try" to incorporate regularly.....

Good Luck.... <3

• RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm Schizoaffective, which means I have Psychosis (Paranoia and such), Depression, Mania, and yes even anxiety.. Take a bunch of meds and supplements to deal with all this... My therapist strongly recommends exercise (and has even encouraged me to exercise seeing me for free in exercise activities outside of therapy on a few occasions)... But exercise --- well, it seems i'm always doing well mental health wise when I'm exercising, I'm never sure if it's because i'm doing well that i'm exercising, or if I'm it's because I'm exerising that I'm doing well. Chicken and egg problem, unfortunately. But if i have something that works i hate to mess with it, so i'm sticking with exercise. Not currently taking anti-anxiety meds, meds currently include lithium risperidone heart-burn-meds and supplements like fish oil, probiotics, iron + b12 (because of heart burn meds), CoQ10, allergy OTC stuff, and more
  • dinosaurparty
    dinosaurparty Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Anxiety (and depression) is something I've dealt with my whole life. Sometimes, like now, it gets really bad. I get anxiety attacks and can't work.

Running made a huuuge change in my mental state. I started running every morning when I was in a bad place, and it helped me push past. Now I run or workout almost every day, and I notice that the days I do are typically much easier to manage than those that I don't.

Getting into it was difficult. Social anxiety is a *kitten* and literally the only reason I started running was because I could go out at 5:15am before the rest of the world was up, and no one had to watch me puff along :P It does get better as you gain confidence, though. I'd recommended making a game plan before you get to the gym so you know exactly what you're going to do, then just plug into your music and get 'er done. Don't overthink it, and don't let yourself stand around feeling awkward.

You will feel so much better after - endorphins are a magical thing.

(I also agree with checking your vitamins and whatnot. I get really out of whack and sad when my iron levels are low.)

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I definitely have social anxiety. I'm terribly wound up around strangers and even family gatherings exhaust me. I'm a born introvert. Being thinner and healthier helps, partly because I have more confidence but partly I think because I have more energy to deal with the situation. But I am still not nor ever will be nor ever want to be a social butterfly.

As for working out where people could see me, while I often avoided it with late night walks, when I couldn't avoid it a little who gives a damn what they think? Goes a long way. I don't know them, they don't know me, I'm doing this for me, screw them! Sometimes you just gotta feel a little angry to make it through.
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had a difficult time leaving my house a year ago because of anxiety and depression. Since January I have been eating better, lost 30 lbs, and exercising outside almost daily. I feel like a new person! Walking, running and yoga have been great. Just take that first step and know that you are worth it!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Same here, I experienced anxiety late last year / early this year.

Then I started increasing my walking and counting calories in April, and have since lost 21 kg, am now averaging 16,000 steps a day, and just ran half a 5km parkrun this morning. I feel fantastic, and have stopped having anxiety episodes.

This might not work for you, but I found that these achievements made me feel stronger, happier, more confident.

I agree with the comments about walking being meditative. Having said that, I find meditation and breathing exercises themselves to make me anxious, focus negatively on my heartbeat, and hyperventilate.

But walking makes me appreciate my surroundings, not worry about myself so much. I find I think happy thoughts when exercising, and the sound of birds and footsteps is calming.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Most of my anxiety has lifted since making a habit of walking a minimum of 45 minutes daily. Shedding the excess fat from maintaining a calorie deficit, and exposing the little muscle development beneath is really great for my depression. For me, my attention to my physical appearance is a good indicator of my emotional state.

Similar to another post on this thread, I also find it easiest to get out really early in the day to walk and run. Fewer people around when I'm feeling vulnerable to scrutiny and criticism about my exercise and fitness has helped me adhere to a consistent exercise schedule.

Good luck to you. I hope you find the strength to take your first step.
  • JordankAddiep
    JordankAddiep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Talking about the panic attacks,anxiety and even depression makes me cry :( I have been dealing with panic attacks since I was in the 8th grade, I have developed anxiety and social anxiety as well within the last 3 years. Some days are worse that others and some days are better. However I have found a way to cope and control my anxiety and panic attacks at least to a certain extent. And although I am not 100 percent cured It has helped me out tremendously and I am starting to get ahold of myself.

I hope this helps somebody out there out because it is something I have wished I could change for

nearly 10 years.

Take a look at anxiousreview . com
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder and I have been suffering from panic attack and derealization for 12 years now. In the past it was so bad that I had to either stay in bed or go to the hospital, every day for months at a time.

I tried EVERYTHING. The only thing that works are medicines, in my case paroxetine.

Exercise doesn't help at all. If I am going through a bad period, in which I have panic attacks every day, it's impossibile to exercise.
    On the other hand, if I am having a good period (thanks to the medicine) I can exercise and do almost anything.

When the crisis is bad there are only 3 things that help me: painting, playing the piano and playing simple repetitive games (like frozen bubbles).

Mindfulness meditation helped me a bit.
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I suffered from severe anxiety and depression over the past five years with high doses of medication for both. I managed to get myself out walking in June and have been gradually extending it since then. I have now started going to the gym 2 - 3 times per week.

I am now completely off my medication and feel better than I have for quite some time - it has certainly worked for me.

It was very difficult in the beginning to get out and do it, but now it is more of a habit and has crated a virtuous circle for me in many aspects of my life.
  • sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I suffer with anxiety and i have really found that exercise does help, even if for that hour a day i dont think about what is making me anxious
  • coaoalo
    coaoalo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me with my anxiety about exercising was to remember that exercise does not equal the gym. Can you go for walks/ runs? Do you have space for one exercise machine in your house? Find what's making you anxious and remove that, at least to begin with. Once you're used to exercising again you can work towards your old routine.
  • last_jennifer
    last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Today is Mental Health World Day, and I want to thank everyone who posted. I live with too much anxiety on a daily basis. I am so happy to see people posting and talking about it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    Last year I started suffering with anxiety.
    its been a long battle and although things are so much better than last year. I am struggling to get back into dieting and exercise.
    I used to be brill with exercise pre anxiety 3/4 time a wk at gym.
    I've been told exercise is good for anxiety. yet I am struggling to see how that works and also I feel nervous anxious about going back to it.
    has anyone got through anxiety and had success with diet and exercise?

I had anxiety issues, I used to have terrible panic attacks that would last for 30 mins or more, mostly triggered by health anxiety issues after some significant health issues. I had counselling and CBT, learned mindfulness meditation and had coping mechanisms (sometimes down to flapping my hands :blush: )

Then I hit the gym with the help of a personal trainer who would reassure that getting out of breath (one of my triggers) was normal and OK I started to do things I never thought possible! and it got fitter and stronger. At the same time I calorie counted and lost 55lbs ...I'm fit and strong and I haven't had a panic attack for 8 months...I've had the glimmer of one a couple of times but I haven't spiralled down

For me the cure was weight loss and fitness...I trust my body again and I feel like I can do not I'm too old or can't try

For me it worked

Good luck ...