How many lbs did you lose in your first week?

Options
I've been eating 1000-1200 per day for 7 days straight now. I am 5'8" and 177lbs - given that I am overweight I was hoping for at least a 2lb weight loss this week but I didn't even lose 1lb (I lost .7lbs)

It's a bit discouraging. Have any of you guys faced the same problem and did the weight loss pick up after the first week? I'd love to hear your stories to help keep me motivated!!

Have a great day everyone.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" and 177 lbs, you are only minorly above the healthy BMI range. A 2 lb per week weight loss is an unreasonable expectation. In addition, eating 1000-1200 calories is not necessary and is, IMO, unhealthy. Set your rate of loss to .5 pounds per week and eat.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I think you'll find that most of the veterans here will advise you to think long term instead of short term. I know it can be frustrating when you don't see the big drop right out of the gate. But this is a lifestyle change and a long term process. You can expect to think in terms of months or years, not days or weeks.

I don't know anything about your goals. So this is all pretty general advice. But do know that it gets easier. Set yourself some realistic goals (1000-1200 calories is far too low for you -- you can get into the math later, but for now, just trust me on this and re-set your MFP goal to lose 1lb/week, not 2) and remember that it's a sprint, not a marathon. Slow and steady wins this race.

Good luck!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    First- are you weighing all your food? If not, you may be eating more than you think.

Second-of your calorie count is accurate, you are eating way too few calories. 1200 is the MINIMUM for an adult female.

Third- at 5'8" and 177lbs, 2lbs a week will be too extreme of a goal.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Honestly? None. None at all. It took 2-3 weeks before the scale started moving, but it was well worth the wait! And I agree with the other posters - eat more!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You are a whole 7 pounds above the normal BMI, so you should aim to lose 0.5 pounds per week, not the 2 you told MFP.

You probably aren't eating 1000-1200 calories a day given that you only lost 0.7 pounds in your first week. Are you weighing your food? If not, I would start doing that. As close to "normal BMI" as you are, every calorie matters.

Also, I'm your height and 5 pounds heavier. I can lose weight on 1800-2200 a day depending on my workouts for the week. You can eat a lot more food and still lose weight at a healthy pace.
  • segacs
    Options
    Have you read the sticky threads for new members? I think you'll find TONS of helpful information there on getting started:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • focusandgo
    focusandgo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Is 1200 calories too low for someone who is very sedentary? I literally sit during classes all morning and then I go home to sit and study. I feel full and energetic with what I've been eating so far (lots of fruits and veg and proteins from sources like chicken and fish)
  • jemhh
    Options
    Yes it is too low. You likely feel low energy because you aren't eating enough (if you're accurately weighing/logging your food.) Food is fuel.
  • segacs
    Options
    focusandgo wrote: »
    Is 1200 calories too low for someone who is very sedentary? I literally sit during classes all morning and then I go home to sit and study. I feel full and energetic with what I've been eating so far (lots of fruits and veg and proteins from sources like chicken and fish)

Yes, at 5'8" / 177, it's still too low for you. I don't know your age, but I'm guessing you're in the college student age range (early 20s or thereabouts?) If you're 20 years old, your TDEE is probably in the ~2000 range, and you shouldn't eat below 1500 to lose 1lb/week.

I know, it's a lot of acronyms and math. Don't worry about it for now. For now, just think of it this way: You didn't gain the weight overnight, so you won't lose it overnight. Slower is healthier. Slower is better in a lot of ways. Slow down.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Unless you use an electric scooter to get around campus, you're not likely truly sedentary. My recommendation is to reconfigure MFP to put you at "lightly active" and set it to lose 1 lb per week, then see what it says. Setting it to "0.5 lb per week" might be even better once your logging accuracy is more precise (as in you start using a digital food scale to weigh things).
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs. But then stalled. 2 weeks later I lost 2 . After that it was steady losses.
  • graymamal
    graymamal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm having an opposite experience. I am 7 days into my MFP and I've lost 6 pounds. Pretty sure it's not water weight, I'm noticeably skinnier. Every body is different, change up your routine a bit.
  • lizkharvey
    lizkharvey Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's been a week and I've lost 4 lbs. My calorie goal is about 1,000. I don't agree with every one saying that it's too low. When I eat more than that, I gain weight! Haha. It's all about your lifestyle. If you are very athletic and are moving and walking most of the day, then it's definitely too low. I eat high protein foods. Drive to class in the morning, maybe clean my house in the afternoon, then sit and do homework all night. For me, I can't eat more than 1100 calories a day.

Besides, you didn't ask for advice on your calorie goals. Don't let them make you feel bad or stressed!

Make sure you drink LOTS of water. That'll help too.
  • jemhh
    Options
    lizkharvey wrote: »
    It's been a week and I've lost 4 lbs. My calorie goal is about 1,000. I don't agree with every one saying that it's too low. When I eat more than that, I gain weight! Haha. It's all about your lifestyle. If you are very athletic and are moving and walking most of the day, then it's definitely too low. I eat high protein foods. Drive to class in the morning, maybe clean my house in the afternoon, then sit and do homework all night. For me, I can't eat more than 1100 calories a day.

Besides, you didn't ask for advice on your calorie goals. Don't let them make you feel bad or stressed!

Are you a 6 yo child? An extremely short and thin woman? An older and small woman? If not, you can eat 1100 and not gain weight.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My first week I lost 10 lbs. It's amazing what cutting out fast food and soda does while having an active job
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    .7 lbs is actually a fine rate for you. You're probably eating more than 1200 calories (are you using a food scale?) but that's fine, as 1200 with your stats is not necessary.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    lizkharvey wrote: »

^Don't listen to this.

When women eat under 1200 (for men 1500), they can't keep it up and eventually go into an overeating cycle and gain it all back.

Crash dieting leads to yo-yo-ing and worse.

Nobody's trying to make you feel bad.

We're trying to give you advice that will lead to a sustainable, healthy, happy eating plan of sticking to your calorie limit that will lead to lifelong habits that will keep you at a healthy weight.

My very best wishes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    How many lbs did you lose in your first week?

Absolutely none. Not a thing.

It wasn't until I had stuck with 1250 cal/day for a full 10 days before I lost my first few grams.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Yes, you are sedentary ... and 1200 calories should be all right. But don't go below that. Also, if you do exercise, you can eat about half those exercise calories back. :)

In another thread, @tomatoey describes it like this ...

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)

Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)

Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

• focusandgo
    focusandgo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    So I thought I would update everyone - I've lost 8.5 pounds since the beginning of October despite only losing .7 lbs in the first week. I believe a lot of it was hormonal (with PMS I always tend to retain water) so there is hope for anyone else who experienced frustration after the 1st week!