The most annoying things said...

What are some of the most annoying thing people say to you about your weight? I've had my doctor give the advice "eat more food" when I asked what would help me gain. It seems a little ridiculous that a doctor would blow off giving advice.

Replies

• Irishfitz124
    Irishfitz124 Posts: 1 Member
    patcheslee wrote: »
    What are some of the most annoying thing people say to you about your weight? I've had my doctor give the advice "eat more food" when I asked what would help me gain. It seems a little ridiculous that a doctor would blow off giving advice.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

since you need a caloric surplus to gain weight, eat more food is the correct answer.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    I find it hilarious that a doctor would only say to you (his/her patient) to just "eat more food".. I am sure that this included phrases like "Increase your food intake", or make sure you "eat all of your meals through the day". etc...

I would have said something on the spot if EAT MORE FOOD was the only thing my doc said, especially if I have been his patient for years... But that is just my personality..

But in agreement with others, eat more food is positively the right answer.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    I think the most annoying thing I often see with gaining weight ( or anything with fitness.) People that state " sugar and sodium amounts do not matter, a calorie is just a calorie." Pretty annoying statements and really bad advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

since you need a caloric surplus to gain weight, eat more food is the correct answer.

Agree
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,035 Member
    edited October 2015
    To gain or to get gainz? Maybe your question was directed at the wrong person.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    I think the most annoying thing I often see with gaining weight ( or anything with fitness.) People that state " sugar and sodium amounts do not matter, a calorie is just a calorie." Pretty annoying statements and really bad advice.

Technically, in terms of gaining weight, that advice is spot on. A calorie is a unit of measurement, so yes, a calorie is a calorie just like an inch is an inch. In terms of weight loss/maintenance/gain, calories are all that matter. In terms of nutrition, macros matter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

all calories are equal in that they are a unit of energy so 100 calories of sugar = 100 calories of carrots; however, they are not nutritional twins, and no two foods provide the same amount of nutrition.

and no one in the gaining forum is saying ignore macros and micros.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    That I don't need to lose anymore weight...
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    I was 30 something weeks pregnant and was asked by a doctor ( not my regular one) if I had any issues with eating disorders.....I had gained 25 lbs at that point. I held it together but wanted to cry then and there, the whole pregnancy had been difficult and this doctor, although well meaning, made me want to crawl in a hole
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    edited October 2015
    Never had one asking what/how I eat, whether or not I smoke, and if I have a family history of diseases... They just go "you need to lose weight"... Yeah Ok I'll do that; that was very helpful advice!

Anyway I am trying to lose not gain so can't help you too much there. Although maybe you should ask people who ARE trying to LOSE what their diet was pre-MFP and adapt to your needs?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    OP, your Dr may have been a bit more curt than you would have preferred, but really, eating more food is, as far as I know, the only way to gain weight.
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    janjunie wrote: »
    I was 30 something weeks pregnant and was asked by a doctor ( not my regular one) if I had any issues with eating disorders.....I had gained 25 lbs at that point. I held it together but wanted to cry then and there, the whole pregnancy had been difficult and this doctor, although well meaning, made me want to crawl in a hole

i don't understand. What was wrong with that weight gain? isn't that the normal weight gain? was he suggesting you gained too much or not enough?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    When you call customer service on any issue and they say "things look good from here. Are you sure you have an issue?"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mariadalmadi
    mariadalmadi Posts: 16 Member

I agree with you, annoying! What is important what you eat not just how much . Why the GP doctor didn't send you to a dietician? My doctor told me"I cannot help , I didn't find anything you're healthy, be yourself, love yourself how you are" I did . And now 15 years later we started IVF and the doctor told me clearly until I don't put on 6 kgs they don't start the treatment. Nobody ever told me I should count the calories, I started 8 days ago the diet and I put on half a kg already . I'll go to dietician but I've got appointment only on 26 October. So I just started by myself .
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    In 2014 I lost almost 50 pounds (from 174 - 129) and I had very few people comment on my weight loss. Then randomly 8 months into maintenance, I had loads of comments from a bunch of different people asking me if I'd lost weight, or lost more weight. No, I've weighed this since last Christmas, thanks for noticing?
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    MissJay75 wrote: »
    In 2014 I lost almost 50 pounds (from 174 - 129) and I had very few people comment on my weight loss. Then randomly 8 months into maintenance, I had loads of comments from a bunch of different people asking me if I'd lost weight, or lost more weight. No, I've weighed this since last Christmas, thanks for noticing?

Isn't is weird how peoples' perceptions of you is really a mish-mash of every time they've seen and interacted with you... until they have enough experience with you after having made a change, it's like it's invisible - not yet 'statistically' observable or something.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited October 2015

Technically, in terms of gaining weight, that advice is spot on. A calorie is a unit of measurement, so yes, a calorie is a calorie just like an inch is an inch. In terms of weight loss/maintenance/gain, calories are all that matter. In terms of nutrition, macros matter.

1. The energy cost to metabolize fat, carbs and protein is different
    The body must use energy to digest, absorb and metabolize the energy in food. And it so happens that the body uses different amounts of energy to process different energy-containing nutrients. Generally, more energy is required to process protein than carbs, and more energy is required to process carbs than fat. What this means effectively is that a 2,500-calories-a-day high-protein diet adds fewer calories to the body than a 2,500-calories-a-day high-carb diet, which in turn adds fewer calories to the body than a 2,500-calories-a-day high-fat diet.

2. The biggest problem with using linear calorie equations for fat loss is that the fewer calories you consume, the fewer calories your body burns. Thus, if, based on the 3,500-calorie rule cited above, you decide to cut your daily energy intake by 500 calories in hopes of losing a pound a week (500 calories/day x 7 days = 3,500 calories), you will probably find that you do indeed lose a pound in the first week but less in each subsequent week. This phenomenon is believed to represent a metabolic adaptation to prevent starvation. Your body literally runs cooler to conserve the reduced number of calories you’re eating, thereby effectively increasing the value of each calorie.

A 2006 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that volunteers who maintained a very low-calorie diet for six months exhibited a significantly greater reduction in metabolic rate than could be explain by weight loss alone. A longer-term study on monkeys revealed that monkeys whose food intake was reduced by 30 percent for 11 years exhibited a 13-percent lower metabolic rate than weight loss alone could account for.

More relevant for our concerns as athletes is evidence that even small calorie deficits within a single day may alter our metabolism in ways that have negative effects on our body composition. A study involving elite female gymnasts and distance runners found a strong inverse relationship between the number and size of energy deficits throughout the day (that is, periods when the body’s calorie needs exceed the calorie supply from foods) and body fat percentage. In other words, the athletes who did the best job of matching their calorie intake with their calorie needs throughout the day were leaner than those who tended to fall behind.

What’s important to note about this study is that the effect of mini calorie deficits was independent of total caloric intake for the day. This means that a woman athlete who requires and consumes X calories a day is likely to have less muscle and more body fat if she does not time her eating well than if she takes in the same total number of calories but distributes them more evenly throughout the day.

3.Timing of eating affects calorie processing
    Thermic effect of food (TEF) is a fancy name for the energy used up as a result of digesting and absorbing a meal. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that TEF is higher in the morning than in the evening. Volunteers were given an identical 544-calorie meal at one of three times. In subjects fed at 9 am, TEF increased by 16 percent; in those fed at 5 pm, TEF increased by 13.5 percent; and in those fed at 1 am, TEF increased by only 11 percent. So it’s clear that we burn more calories in the morning.

The effect of calories on body composition is also influenced by the size and frequency of meals. For example, a Japanese study found that boxers placed on a six-meals-a-day weight-control diet lowered their body fat percentage significantly more than boxers who ate exactly the same number of calories in just two meals.

Generally speaking, food calories are more likely to be stored as fat and less likely to be used immediately for energy, stored as glycogen, or used to synthesize new muscle proteins when they are consumed in excess of short-term needs. This is why six small meals totaling 2,500 calories are not equal to two large meals totaling 2,500 calories.

On the flipside, food calories are more likely to be used immediately for energy or stored as glycogen or used to synthesize muscle proteins when they are consumed at times of energy deficit, such as first thing in the morning after the overnight fast. Another such time is after exercise. Numerous studies have shown that people build more muscle and gain less body fat (or shed more body fat) when they consume adequate calories within two hours after exercise than when they do not, despite consuming the same total number of calories over the course of the day.

To be sure, counting calories has some value. However, for the reasons cited above, you can’t count on calories from any source to affect your body equally in all circumstances.
  • monkeybusiness2104
    monkeybusiness2104 Posts: 47 Member
    gia07 wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that a doctor would only say to you (his/her patient) to just "eat more food".. I am sure that this included phrases like "Increase your food intake", or make sure you "eat all of your meals through the day". etc...

I would have said something on the spot if EAT MORE FOOD was the only thing my doc said, especially if I have been his patient for years... But that is just my personality..

But in agreement with others, eat more food is positively the right answer.

Actually my doc gave the same answer. Not helpful. She said. eat more food. Double up on all your meals.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    One time I told my doctor I had some pain when I did some movement - I can't remember what the specific situation was, but yes, he said - don't do that. lol

Sometimes it's annoying when someone gives you what seems like idiotic advice when you are struggling with something. If you were honest with yourself, wouldn't it be obvious that the solution to not gaining weight is to eat more?

The reality is that doctors are really bad at helping people change. Their success rate for getting heart attack patients to change their lifestyles is abyssmal. People don't like someone to tell them what to do. The only way people change is if they make the decision for themselves.