home gym-what machine to buy

Options
I am creating a small gym in my basement. I am not sure what piece of equipment I want to buy first. it will be my only equipment until after Christmas...so,I want to make an informed decision. I am leaning towards an elliptical...but I am open to suggestions. if anyone thinks there is one machine that is a must have, please let me know...thanks guys I appreciate your opinions...

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What else will the gym have? What is the plan you are going to follow? It completely depends on what you like, and what you plan to do long-run. I would not use the elliptical unless someone was pointing a gun to my head, so for me, for example, this would be something I would never buy. But for someone else, it might be a great idea.
    What I have at home is a treadmill (for when I cannot leave the kids at home alone to run), a yoga mat for bodyweight exercises, a resistance band for pilates and several dumbbells. If I had the space and money for more things, these would have been a TRX and a stationary bike.
  • brandiseagroves
    brandiseagroves Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thanks, I will put in a gym floor for doing videos...and I like the idea of the ball...I will hopefully add weights...I just live so far out that I have to create my own gym. it's dark by the time I get home or I would walk outside. my ultimate goal is to lose 40 more pounds...I have lost over 100...but since then I moved to the middle of nowhere..lol
    I have considered a treadmill.I like them, but I tend to walk tense...like I'm waiting to fall off...maybe I would loosen up if I did it more

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, and a bench.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    thanks, I will put in a gym floor for doing videos...and I like the idea of the ball...I will hopefully add weights...I just live so far out that I have to create my own gym. it's dark by the time I get home or I would walk outside. my ultimate goal is to lose 40 more pounds...I have lost over 100...but since then I moved to the middle of nowhere..lol
    I have considered a treadmill.I like them, but I tend to walk tense...like I'm waiting to fall off...maybe I would loosen up if I did it more

40 lbs is not that much, so I would focus on the long term. What do you like doing? What can you picture yourself doing and actually liking it? What have you enjoyed so far during your weight loss? Or what sounds interesting? If e.g. you plan to use an elliptical just for a few months, I would not think it would be a good investment. If it is something you have used and enjoy, and can see yourself using for years, go for it. And same for everything else of course. What have been your favourite exercises, machines, classes etc throughout the years?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I jump into this thread, and the first thing I wanted to know is home gym in the basement with what? Are we looking to fill up the basement over the next year or so with all types of equipment for cardio and weight lifting?

Need more information... I have filled up a whole bedroom with cardio and weight lifting equipment over the past year. Just bought my last piece which is a treadmill for running indoors now that winter is coming...

Anyone want a free membership to my gym?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This one

impulse_sterling_full_power_rack.jpg
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd first plan everything I think I would be doing in my home gym, and al the necessary equipment for it. Only then I would choose from that list what to get first.

When it comes to being able to buy only one piece of equipment, I'd probably myself go with a suspension trainer. Super versatile.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Personally, I'd first plan everything I think I would be doing in my home gym, and al the necessary equipment for it. Only then I would choose from that list what to get first.

When it comes to being able to buy only one piece of equipment, I'd probably myself go with a suspension trainer. Super versatile.

Exactly.

OP, Without first figuring out your fitness goals and plans to reach them, it is hard to pick what equipment is right for your home gym. Space and budget are two limiting factors for home gyms. An elliptical, treadmill, rower, spin bike (or trainer if you have an outdoor bike), power rack, bench, free weights and stands to hold them, plus gym flooring, TV and DVD player for videos ... the partial list of options gets space consuming and expensive pretty quickly.

What devices did you use most when you went to the gym? Maybe an elliptical and a suspension trainer meet your needs and limitations. Maybe it's a full power rack with tons of iron and a treadmill ... or resistance bands and a bike ... a hot tub and wine rack (wait, that's my wife's idea of a home gym).

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, and a bench.

This is the same idea I had -- check out StrongLifts 5x5 and then you could add a spin bike if you don't like the treadmill
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Just a thought but craigslist is a great place for exercise equipment at the quarter of the price :) i bought most ofc weights on there and saved a ton
  • Tamlyngo
    Tamlyngo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of 'machines'. My home gym consists of free weights, TRX, pull up bar, medicine balls etc. TRX is a great versatile work out that can be adapted to your fitness level and can be used for strength and cardio. Good luck!
  • WingardiumLeviosa91
    WingardiumLeviosa91 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree with an elliptical. It is the only machine I use at the gym, easiest way to burn more calories!
  • brandiseagroves
    Options
    sounds crazy...but I hadn't thought of Craig's list...I'll definitely look there. the hope is to expand the gym over the next few years...I would prefer to be outside, but get home after dark...lost most of my weight with walking and diet...I have a twenty acre farm in the mountains...and like to walk up and down the mountains to build endurance and muscle...
    when I use to go to a gym I typically used the treadmill, elliptical, our recumbent bike...nothing overly exciting...I walked 6 to 10 miles per day..typically outside in two sessions...

I truly appreciate everyone that took the time to post..I will certainly make a plain...set goals and go from there

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    My main Home Gym machines:
    Vectra home gym
    Treadmill
    Elliptical
    Water Rower
    Bike
    Cage and bench

I use the cage and elliptical most and some cable work on the Vectra. I sometimes do circuits on the treadmill. Bike is going out the door. Water Rower sprung a leak.

My accessories:
    Olympic barbell and plates
    Dumbbells
    Kettlebells
    Medicine ball
    Bands
    Landmine base
    Suspension trainer

I use all these.

Consider the headroom for your equipment. My gym is a converted two-car garage with high ceilings. So I can throw a medicine ball in the air and do pull-ups on my rack.

Also consider what equipment will support your main sport.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends a lot on what you want to do. I have a bowflex, some dumbbells, and a stationary bike. First two to do strength training, last one for HIIT. Seems to be working for me.
  • brandiseagroves
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    My main Home Gym machines:
    Vectra home gym
    Treadmill
    Elliptical
    Water Rower
    Bike
    Cage and bench

I use the cage and elliptical most and some cable work on the Vectra. I sometimes do circuits on the treadmill. Bike is going out the door. Water Rower sprung a leak.

My accessories:
    Olympic barbell and plates
    Dumbbells
    Kettlebells
    Medicine ball
    Bands
    Landmine base
    Suspension trainer

I use all these.

Consider the headroom for your equipment. My gym is a converted two-car garage with high ceilings. So I can throw a medicine ball in the air and do pull-ups on my rack.

Also consider what equipment will support your main sport.

your gym sounds awesome...I can only hope mine is as nice when I'm done...
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I also have horse-stall mats for the flooring. They are firm but I notice more spring in my Burpees on them vs. concrete.

• brandiseagroves
    Options
    :) I appreciate all your help and advice
  • GETU1N
    GETU1N Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options
    Elliptical
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Horse stall mats are the best bang for your buck flooring.