Am I doing it wrong?

Options
My friend who is an experienced runner told me I'm "doing it wrong". Let me explain.

I had been overweight my entire life. I've lost 120 lbs over the past 18 months. Started at 265 and now at 145. About 60 lbs ago I started running. I didn't use a program or anything. I just decided I wanted to go out for a run. Now I run 3-5 days a week anywhere from 2-6 miles.

I never have a plan or goal in mind. If I feel like running, I go running. I run until I don't feel like running any more. Some days this happens after 2 miles. Some days this happens after 6 miles. Some days I run 3 miles without stopping. Other days I decide I need a walking break after 1.5 miles.

My friend says because I don't have a training plan, set goals in mind, and sometimes allow myself to walk a little, I'm doing it wrong and shouldn't consider myself a runner.

Is there seriously a wrong way to run? Should I not call myself a runner? Am I offending "real" runners?

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Whether your way is wrong depends on your goals. If you want to run a 5k, a marathon, etc. then yes, you should have a training plan so you can build up to being able to do it.

If you want to run for the pleasure of running, then go out and do it. What may be "wrong" for your friend's goals may be perfectly right for yours.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I'd probably stare back at her with a wtf? look. That's like an outliner telling a pantser they are writing their novel wrong. (Outliner prepares ahead of time and follows plans, pantser just writes the novel without prep or outlines.) Granted some cannot do it one way or the other, that doesn't make that way the only right way for anyone.

I don't like outlines for novels, I still write a lot. However, I have no desire ever to just go run. I could be writing or online posting in forums. So, I make goals and following couch to 5k then a 10k training program is what works for me. I struggle to call myself a runner as I'm rather slow but after having long runs of about 5 miles, I have slowly started to work it into my vocab, sometimes.

Basic response: No. If making a goal for a certain distance or race doesn't appeal you then no reason to do such. It's not a "one way" only situation. I can't speak for all runners/joggers/walkers etc, so some might be like your friend but in general, I'd say do what works for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong way to run. If you run you are a runner regardless of how you train. You certainly aren't offending me.

If you are training for a particular goal there may be a more efficient way to achieve it. If your goal is just to run then there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Running is what you want it to be. Some people like to race, they like goals, whatever. Others just like to run.
  • soybruja
    soybruja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just sayin', person who's accomplished 120 weight loss and enjoying moving and listening to her body has lots to teach others
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    ...My friend says because I don't have a training plan, set goals in mind, and sometimes allow myself to walk a little, I'm doing it wrong and shouldn't consider myself a runner.

Is there seriously a wrong way to run? Should I not call myself a runner? Am I offending "real" runners?

Sounds like your friend is an elitist snob with a very narrow outlook - you'll find them in every hobby/pursuit. If you're getting out there and moving, you're doing just fine.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    soybruja wrote: »
    Just sayin', person who's accomplished 120 weight loss and enjoying moving and listening to her body has lots to teach others

'Nuff said right there!

• ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm very proud of my weight loss! I love running, but have no desire to run a marathon or anything like that. A (different) friend talked me into running a 5k and I hated it. Too many people and too many serious, stressed out people. I like running by myself, clearing my head, thinking of silly stuff, and enjoying the scenery.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ericaconti wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I'm very proud of my weight loss! I love running, but have no desire to run a marathon or anything like that. A (different) friend talked me into running a 5k and I hated it. Too many people and too many serious, stressed out people. I like running by myself, clearing my head, thinking of silly stuff, and enjoying the scenery.

Then it sounds like you do have a plan and a set goal in mind, and are achieving them! :) You've lost a substantial amount of weight at a sensible rate, are in better shape, training reasonably and sticking with it, I don't see anything wrong with any of that.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're listening to your body and have found something you enjoy....I'm with @AnvilHead - your friend is an elitist snob and needs to keep their opinions to themselves.

Have fun!

~Lyssa
  • ellerist
    ellerist Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ignore your "friend" and tell him/her when you need feedback, you will ask for it. You definitely are a runner. The best reason to run is simply because you want to! Forget all the other mumbo-jumbo.
  • Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    tr9e0hd7d0i4.jpg

You run therefore you are a runner. :)
  • Backagainbbg340
    Backagainbbg340 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a new friend
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Jillish23 wrote: »
    tr9e0hd7d0i4.jpg

You run therefore you are a runner. :)

^^^ This. 100 times this!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You rock!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    soybruja wrote: »

True things are true.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!! I agree with all the good stuff that's been said. You've really accomplished an incredible thing, you love what you're doing and who cares what your friend thinks!

• New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous! Who cares what any one has to say unless it's a useful tip like how to help with impact or breathing. Running is awesome in so many ways n can be really enjoyable n relaxing. If ur loosing the weight, feeling good about yourself for accomplishing a run goal in pace or distance or just for getting out n being active, then sounds like ur a great runner! You should be proud of yourself n keep doing u because sounds like you've already been kicking *kitten*!
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Your friend is being rude and kind of mean.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    People are weird lol your friend sounds like she takes running way too serious. And people that are in fact 'runners' in the way of training for a marathon in fact do need a training program. However if you are a 'runner' in the way of doing it for cardio and healthy then honestly you are still a runner and doing it the way you want. If you want a goal then set one if not you are still running ;-)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    OP, I have been running on and off for decades. I consider myself a runner, because ... I run. I do not follow a specific program, other than easing back into running with a walk-run interval program whenever I take breaks. I have no goals other than fitness. I have a very competitive and stressful job and have zero interest in seeing running (or any other form of exercise) as a competitive sport, exercising is something I do to take my mind off the stress, so I do not do races. It is something I do because I enjoy it. I listen to music and run. There were periods were I was into the mood for sprints, or when I was in the mood for more mileage, or had a personal time goal for a 5K etc, but these were goals just for me. Your friend is being just rude.