How often do you guys weigh?

Options
For some reason I dislike when it's time to weigh in. I fear that if the numbers didn't change (go down) I become frustrated. So I tend to not weigh in faithfully . However I would like to start weighing in more often...

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Every day. I graph the results and look at the trends. I don't get frustrated over single days. If you do, weighing more often might not be for you.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I weight daily so I can establish my weight range on TrendWeight https://trendweight.com/. I've found I don't panic if the scale goes up one day and down the next. As long as I'm in my range and the range keeps trending downward, I'm happy.
  • melmerritt33
    melmerritt33 Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Up until last week I was weighing once a week but hit a plateau and felt discouraged so ended up eating more. This last week I've weighed myself every day and actually found that seeing the number go up made me more determined to eat better that day, this week I lost 3lb so I'm going to try the daily weigh-in for a while and log it in so I can see the ups and downs. I'll see how it goes but this might actually be better for me than waiting a week then feeling bad because there's been no change. I guess it depends on how you react to the daily changes as weight can go up and down each day.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. If I dont, I can go off track too easily and quickly.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Daily. First thing in the morning.
  • richard3263
    richard3263 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I now weigh-in every two weeks at my local health centre as their scales are very precise and it helps to think that Big Brother is watching you! I used to weigh myself weekly but was advised by a dietician to make it fortnightly as any difference is more marked and successes result in a huge morale boost.
  • Adamsa1969
    Adamsa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Daily for me too, most of the time. The numbers go up and down and when they go up, I look at my sodium intake from theday before. Sodium can add a couple of pounds, believe it or not!

There are other victories, such as how your clothes fit and muscle mass, so don't let the scale take that away from you.
  • Hipnotika
    Hipnotika Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Every day AND i have to step on the scale about 5 times to get some magic #s..unless i have a broken scale (batteries have been replaced) but when i step on it 1st try its like 5lbs higher then it goes down to where i'm like: Oh there you are, you sucker you!!! LOL
  • a_manda
    a_manda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week and I keep the scale out of sight the rest of the time so Im not tempted. I get easily derailed when I don't see the number change even after a day even though I know weight fluctuates on a daily basis. I do best when I only step on once a week.
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mostly daily, unless I'm bloated.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Every morning for me.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I don't any more. It's not good for me. I go by measurements, how new new small-size clothes fit and look and by my improving running times and durations as well as my weight-lifting progression. I know I'm at a healthy weight. That battle is over for me.
  • kwitherspoon19
    kwitherspoon19 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, but only record my weight on the first and the fifteenth of the month. I used to be obsessed with the scale but my weigh in methods have helped me and my anxiety drastically
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Once a week, sometimes once every 2 weeks.
  • random5483
    random5483 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily right after waking up. Before eating, before using the restroom, and in my sleeping clothes which are all almost identical in weight. I don't mind weight gains and losses day to day since my overall progress is clearly downwards on the scale. I like having more data points. I also like seeing that weight gain often occurs the day after I workout because then I know it is clearly water weight since it happens every time I work out.

How often you weigh yourself should be based on what works best for you. If you want more data and won't lose hope with weight gains over a few days or even a week or more, then everyday works fine. If you lose motivation when your weight goes up over a few days, then a week might make sense. If you lose motivation unless you lose a lot of weight on every weigh in, once in two weeks or even once a month might work best. The choice that works for me might not work for you.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for daily but it's actually more like every other or every third day. I might be late for work and "not have time" by having dressed and eaten before I remember the scale, etc. I am going to make more of an effort to weigh in daily though, as I'm planning on stepping up this weight-loss "program" of mine, and I want to have a lot of data to compile and count (I love that sort of stuff, and it helps me keep calm when I have a lot of numbers to work with, and see what days worked and which ones didn't).

The thing about weighing once a week too is that on that particular day you might be retaining more water than the day after and you have a "high" day, only to become discouraged and think you've not lost anything/much - or you have a "low" day and then the next week you have a "high" one, and become extra discouraged from that. I find it less discouraging to weigh in more often because then I can really see how my calorie choices are impacting my weight.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Like others, I weigh daily and use TrendWeight.com to calculate the exponentially smoothed moving average of the measurements. In The Hacker's Diet, John Walker explains how and why (see the chapters on "Signal and Noise" and "Perfect Weight Forever").
  • atlrox2285
    atlrox2285 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning but only record once a week. The weigh-in keeps me going with my diet (a reminder to keep going) and if I only track once a week I have encouraging, steady downward progress. (Hit a healthy bmi this morning! Wooooot!)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Usually once a week but these last couple weeks I've been maintaining so I've been weighing every other week for my mental sanity .
  • _flawedperfectly_
    _flawedperfectly_ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Every day