I just can't run... or can I?

Options

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I've got zombiesrun and love the story I however need to get new shoes before I can hit the pavement or a track again. The open spot between buildings at my college is looking inviting.
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Mangsney wrote: »

Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

Yes. I tried it in April 2014 and by the end of the summer I was running 3 miles a few times a week. I quit over the winter and pulled it back out this past May. Today I ran my first half marathon. Oh, and I'm 46 yrs old, 5'6" and when I started in May I weighed 195 lbs. I'm currently in the low 170s, so it works even for the out of shape and overweight :)
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Am I too old at 62 or just making excuses?
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Oh it works brilliantly. I couldn't run at all and now I do 5k's on my days off work. I'm just working on building up my speed right now.

There's lots of different apps. Personally I love the ZombiesRun! app. It's very entertaining.

I agree that it works as well. I started it in January at almost 240 lbs. It took a little over 3 months to complete the program because I had to do some weeks over (I just wasn't ready to move on).

I second Zombies, Run too. The Zombies, Run 5k is less structured than C25K and I love the regular Zombies, Run. Just finished Season 1 and am starting Season 2.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Again, thank you so much to every person who posted a comment, shared their story and encouraged me.

I did the first workout this morning. I didn't collapse, I didn't cheat, and best of all, I didn't completely hate it! :smiley:

I think there's hope, and you've all played a big part in getting this started.

That's great. You know what helps me sometimes? Smiling. Seriously, find something stupid to smile at or about during a hard interval. (I know it's cheesy, but there actually are physiological benefits!)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »

My boss runs marathons and she's in her early 50s.

I'm not a doctor, so I can't give you the all-clear, but I also did hear of a 90 year old running a marathon recently.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

@alizesmom - I've had several people in their 60s go through the program. My mother did it this year at 65. She finished a 5k with walking breaks and kept it up.
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Again, thank you so much to every person who posted a comment, shared their story and encouraged me.

I did the first workout this morning. I didn't collapse, I didn't cheat, and best of all, I didn't completely hate it! :smiley:

That's great. You know what helps me sometimes? Smiling. Seriously, find something stupid to smile at or about during a hard interval. (I know it's cheesy, but there actually are physiological benefits!)

I tend to smile a lot in general, so I'll try extra hard. I came across a few people while doing the workout yesterday, and while I kind of ignored the group of retired dog-walkers who took up the entire path, I smiled at another jogger and a dad teaching his little girl how to ride a bike. I smile at crows and magpies too :p
  • Mangsney
    Mangsney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    One thing I have to say, I wasn't expecting the thigh soreness to be this bad. Oh dear, my poor thighs... :s

I guess it's a good thing my schedule is going to be packed full over the next few days, because I need the soreness to go away before I do it again!
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

Omg I really love this advice and will def put it to use :)
    C25K success here as well. I also realized that I had some exercise induced asthma through the process - my lungs would burn and I had an audible wheeze. I thought at first I would try to run through it, but passers by would be concerned, stopping me to see if I was ok and telling me not to push it
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Whoops it cut off the end somehow.
    Anyways I told my doc about the wheezing and he gave me an rx for an inhaler, which made the whole thing so much more doable and enjoyable.
    I completed c25k and kept running - about a year later I outran the inhaler - I no longer use it! I enjoy it more with each run. 5 years ago I never would believe I'd make such a statement - lol!
    Happy running! Go slow - speed follows naturally as you put down more miles - and be kind to and patient with yourself :)
  • dwebbqt
    dwebbqt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started last year at 51. Bad knees and bad heart. It hurt a lot when I started. I read up on form and found Chi running. That made a world of difference for me!! So, make sure you have correct form and the C25K (any of them or your own) works great. This is the first time I've ever set a goal that I didn't know ahead of time I could accomplish. I am more proud of saying I run 2 miles every other week day, and 3 miles on a weekend than any other thing I've set out to do. oh and breathing makes a world of difference when you going to! So, form, breath and just enjoy.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people on here, I was in your boat. Didn't run at all a year ago. I couldn't go more than a couple of minutes without huffing and puffing. Did the C25K, ran a 5-k, ran another one kept running more and did a HM 7 months after I started.

There is SO much support, info and help here in the community....
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of giving the C25K app a go to increase my fitness level. Right now I'm using an elliptical trainer, but I'm getting bored.

My only problem? I can't run :s

I'm 34, 158 lbs (5'6", large bum, thick thighs), I have a very sedentary lifestyle and I haven't run since I had to at school. And I hated it, because even as a skinny teenage girl I couldn't get the breathing right and would get painful stitches all the time. The last time I had to run (while on holiday, so I wouldn't miss a bus), my insides were on fire and I thought I was going to pass out (I did catch that bus, though! :# )

But anyway, let's not get distracted.

Does C25K really work when you have no previous running experience? Realistically? When you're like me...? I'd love to hear from people who were like me and have become decent runners.

c25k Is great because it's a structured way to get past the endurance problems you're describing. All of those issues you will get through. It's conditioning. Then you'll be running miles at a clip and not feel out of breath.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I was like you growing up, OP, terrible at running, it felt bad (at a normal BMI). C25K helped me run, yes, I even got to liking it, a lot. Felt great. Felt like I accomplished something. Trouble is, the reason I sucked at running was because (I later learned) my joints etc. are not well suited to running. The "right" shoes and coaching didn't help. I think some people are great at running because they're built for it, most people can probably learn to run to a point, and some people (like me) should stay away altogether, but you don't know which group you're in until you have some kind of injury or enough injuries that a professional or two have to weigh in and let you know. (Unless you know for sure you're great at it.)

It's not like there aren't other things to do. You could bike, swim, dance, walk. Almost everyone can walk safely.
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You can!

Never ran, hated exercise. Dislike sweating - I just hate that sticky, wet feeling. But no good way to loose weight and increase fitness without it. I was 46 when I started exercising (April 2014) and was 230 pounds, 5'7" and for the first time had borderline high BP. I had finally gotten tired of being fat and getting out of breath going up a flight of stairs and did NOT want to be on meds if I could help it. By August I was up to 45 minutes on the elliptical doing 10-minute "miles" according to the machine and BP was a little lower but not great. Resting HR was OK, not great.

Signed up for a 5K thinking I could do it on a elliptical, so I could run it. WRONG. A runner friend gently suggested I try running before the actual race and I could only go 1/10 of a mile. Plus I didn't have good shoes. Tried better shoes - went 3/10. Started researching running (because I tend to research EVERYTHING when I do it) and meanwhile walked the 5K. Got good running shoes, read that you should run as slowly as possible starting out, don't focus on time. I eventually got to a mile on my own but I think my issue was starting out running as far as I could in one block and then walking the rest. I really didn't increase my stamina that way.

6 weeks ago (now 47 1/2 at 190) I finally decided to try C25K - got the free one from zen labs on my iphone. Weeks 1-4 were easy. Week 5 was OK until I got to two 8-minute intervals and I stopped at 6 minutes on the second interval. I looked ahead (note: BAD IDEA) with dread saw I was to run 20 minutes solid next run! How COULD I? I was prepare to re-do week 5 but looked online for others doing it and everyone said how mental running is and how you were conditioned to be able to do it by the weeks leading up. I psyched myself up, did not repeat the 8/8 and did 20 minutes! Woot! Week 6 had the bits broken up again so I knew I could do 10/10 with walking breaks if I could do 20, right? Right! Yesterday I ran week 6 day 3 for 22 minutes. I had finally gotten to a point where I had a stride down. Yeah, runners were passing me but at least I was passing walkers! I'm around a 13.5 minute mile. That's OK! Speed will come; right now I'm all about endurance. So here are some things I learned that worked for me so far:

- Good shoes are important. Professional fitting and quality running shoes let me run farther while feeling better.
    - Form is important. Torso tall and vertical, shoulders back, arms loose (sometimes I make a loose O with my thumb and middle finger to keep my hands loose). Land flat-footed and roll as you move forward. You would think heel-to-toe but not for jogging beginners. You want the impact of your weight dispelled over the whole surface of the foot/shoe.
    - Breathing is important. I actually found it to be quite natural but I read breaking in is quicker than breathing out and should be a 2:3 ratio. This happens to be perfectly timed with my stepping - two steps breathe in, 3 steps to breathe out. It feels quite natural. If I get out of breath I try to go with a really deep belly breath in and expel fully. I read your heart rate slows naturally when you do that. It really helps.
    - Distraction and self-pep talks are important! Each to their own. I like music that I can run in time with. I'll fast forward to the next song to get just the right peppy beat. Eventually I'll make a play list but during the alternate walk/run state not really practical. If my battery dies I focus on the sound of my feet. If I'm tired I focus on a point ahead and tell myself to just make it to that tree/rock or end of a song, etc. and when I get there I tell myself that wasn't bad, I can probably make it to - pick another landmark. And lastly when I really feel tired or sore or out of breath, I take a deep breath and remind myself I can do ANYTHING for another 30 seconds, minute, whatever.
    - If you feel weak and not ready, take a second day of rest. Eat well, fuel your body. It's hard to lose fat while building muscle so have a break-even calorie day and hydrate like crazy. The next day you'll tackle the run like a boss! But remember, on average it takes 3x a week to gain running stamina so you can't do that every time. Just those days when you REALLY know it won't be a productive run.

Yesterday the 22 minutes were easier than I expected. For some reason (screen lock maybe) I didn't hear the "you are halfway done" comment and I thought "by now I should be half way for sure" and I looked and only had 6 minutes left!!! I had done a mile and a half by then. It took about the 6 week mark to not have sore shin muscles and jelly-weak thighs afterward. My shins aren't sore and my thighs are tired but not complete jelly. I'm looking forward to the 24 minute run. Yesterday when I stopped at 22 I thought to myself "Ya know Special KH, I think I could have gone two more minutes if I had to".

I couldn't have done this without the C25K - I tried and self training just wasn't working for me. I won't worry about speed - I'm sure that will come. 24 minutes tomorrow. No problem. :)

Oh, and PS - BP at my last checkup a few weeks ago was 128/83! And I've been checking my resting HR via Jawbone 4 - has dropped to 58-63 with an average of 61. VERY healthy range. :D No meds for me! I also notice mornings after I run are when it's in the 50s - as low as 56. Days I just walk and do some strength are in the low 60s - you can SEE how strenuous cardio helps the heart.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread because I think it's brilliant. Thanks heaps everyone for giving me so much inspiration while I do C25K! xxxooo
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

Just making excuses. Unless you have a legitmate medical problem there is no "late" time to start, Start slow and pick up as you can. Short walks turn into longer walks turn into jog/walks turn into jogs turn into jog/runs turn into runs... Keep moving.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I always hated running when I was forced to do it too. Ironically, I've always wanted to run, but dreaded working myself past how uncomfortable it made me feel.

I have a big butt and thighs too, and I started out walking. With walking, I started out with a cane due to arthritis. I built my fitness up from walking assisted to the corner to walking 3.5 mph (I can now walk even faster) for 5.5 miles.

That's when I started C25K. Because of my arthritis, I admit I prepared more than was probably necessary. I once read on here... I think AliceDark once said it... that running is a gait, not a speed. And that's been my mantra the whole time I've been doing the program. I'm in week 6 now, and my running speed isn't much faster than my walking speed, BUT...

I learned this through walking: my speed increased with time and the desire for it to happen. There was no conscious effort on my part -- it just happened.

good lord this this this this

running is a gait not a speed- that's fantastic.

I would suggest do your walking- and as you get more comfortable walking- just incorporate some jogging stretches INTO your walk path. And eventually you'll be more comfortable jogging longer and longer stretches in your walk path.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    How's it going, OP?