New to weights and need some insight!

Options
I just started weight training about two weeks ago (I'm female) and I've been trying to use online resources to figure out what to do. I think I've got a pretty good handle on the amount of different machines I'm using per workout. Usually 8 different exercises, each 3 sets of 10 reps. I have a routine for arms, legs, and abs (which incorporates some arms and legs as well). I run about 3 miles on the treadmill and spend about 35-40 minutes on weights.

My first question is, although I know everyone is different, what are typical weights to start out at to see progress? Currently for legs curls/seated leg raises I'm using 30 pounds. It's enough to feel somewhat challenging, but I don't feel very sore when I wake up the next day. With that being said, the next weight up is 50 pounds, and I'm unable to complete more than 1 set without feeling like I'm going to hurt myself, so I've been sticking to 30. Before this, I was a distance runner. I'd run a minimum of 5 miles a day, 6 days a week.

My second question is about arm exercises. I've been using 5 pound weights for everything. The next size up at my gym is 10, which is too heavy for me for the workouts I'm doing. It's frustrating because I feel as though I could handle a couple pounds up, but I don't have that option.

I've been going to the gym 6 days a week with the workout routine I mentioned above. I'm currently 5'6", about 138 pounds. The goal is to lose some fat and tone up my muscles to get a more athletic look and gain strength. My stomach has relatively no fat on it, but the top of my thighs store most of my excess fat along with my butt, so I do need to melt away some fat to get the look I want.

Any other suggestions or things I'm missing to have success with this? I'm measuring my calories every day and eating at a deficit, though I'm unsure how much I'd be burning when using weights.

I'm curious how long I should expect it will take to see some results, so that I can know if I need to change my method here. Anything you have to suggest or add would be really helpful to me! All I've ever known is running long distances so I have very limited knowledge on strength training, but I'm excited to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x a week. I lift back/biceps monday, chest/triceps wednesday, legs/shoulders friday. I lift to failure at a moderately heavy weight. Which means (at least as I understand it) is that I lift enough that I fail at 10 reps. I can't possibly do an 11th rep and often I can't even muster that 10th (or even 9th) rep. I don't always feel sore, I don't necessarily think that's a sign of whether you worked hard or not.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Perhaps you should aim for a rep range. My program for example has a range from 8-12. If I can do 12 reps in good form (free weights) for all sets it is time to go up.
    The weight you should be using is the one that requires you to use a lot of effort to finish your set. It should take you some time between sets to recover enough for the next set.

Also, feeling sore is not an indicator of working hard enough. People who lift weight reguraly don't have DOMS after every lifting session. Regardless of increasing the weights, your body gets used to the movements.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I guess my frustration is that I could go up from 30 pounds, but 50 is too heavy for me so I feel like I should be doing more, but I can't.
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

My first question is, although I know everyone is different, what are typical weights to start out at to see progress? Currently for legs curls/seated leg raises I'm using 30 pounds. It's enough to feel somewhat challenging, but I don't feel very sore when I wake up the next day. With that being said, the next weight up is 50 pounds, and I'm unable to complete more than 1 set without feeling like I'm going to hurt myself, so I've been sticking to 30. Before this, I was a distance runner. I'd run a minimum of 5 miles a day, 6 days a week.

This is really not a question anyone will be able to answer. Prior athletic background, levels of strength, individual variation all affect the answer. The real question you should be asking is what type of lifting you should be doing to reach your goals and how hard you are willing to work towards them.

Soreness is not indicative change following a workout. Don't let that be your guide. I do think 8 exercises at 3x10 is a ton of volume for a beginner, that will necessitate using lighter weight than you could if you were more focused during each workout. But again, it depends on your goal. But, as a beginner you will likely suffer from training-ADD, I did and felt like the more I did and the more volume I added the better off I would be. The change comes from applying a stimulus then allowing for adaptation, proper recovery.

I would recommend finding a good program that progresses you towards your eventual goal, be that strength, athleticism, general health, etc.

Also, at some point someone is goin to tell you that toning is a myth. A big argument will ensue in cyberspace, and everyone loses. But, what most people mean when they say tone, is actually reduce fat to expose muscle, that is all diet, lifting will help you maintain what you currently have while you lose fat. Since you are a beginning lifter you will also gain CNS adaptations quickly during this time, but only limited muscle growth if you eat at a deficit. This is because of both the caloric restriction necessary to lose body fat and the lack of high levels of testosterone necessary for rapid muscle growth.

Anyway, find a program that works for you and stick to that for 8-12 weeks then reasses. Hone in your diet and you will see results. After that time you can reassess based on your starting goals and see if you are headed in the right direction.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Can you do 5 reps at 50? Or 5 reps with the 10lb DB?
    If you can get 3 sets of 5 reps do that. Run that for 2 weeks and try and get 1 more rep the next time.
    Often, for accessory lifts, for me it will look like this for reps:
    10, 10, 8, 6, 5. Each time I try and get 1 more rep on the sets I'm missing. Heck, over the course of a month or two it might look like this by the time I work up: 10,10,10,10, 9. <--still shooting for that 1 last rep.

Maybe you get 7, 7, 5 instead of 10,10,10 with 50lbs. That's okay. Just try and get 1 more rep than the last time. Over time you'll get 10,10,10.
  • purple4sure05
    edited October 2015
    Options
    armylife wrote: »

Also, at some point someone is goin to tell you that toning is a myth. A big argument will ensue in cyberspace, and everyone loses. But, what most people mean when they say tone, is actually reduce fat to expose muscle, that is all diet, lifting will help you maintain what you currently have while you lose fat. Since you are a beginning lifter you will also gain CNS adaptations quickly during this time, but only limited muscle growth if you eat at a deficit. This is because of both the caloric restriction necessary to lose body fat and the lack of high levels of testosterone necessary for rapid muscle growth.

Anyway, find a program that works for you and stick to that for 8-12 weeks then reasses. Hone in your diet and you will see results. After that time you can reassess based on your starting goals and see if you are headed in the right direction.

Thanks for all the tips. I've heard a lot of people say that you can't tone without eating an excess of calories. There seems to be some merit to that, but I've seen many people who start out chunky and begin gymnastics or competitive cheerleading or something that end up both lean AND toned by the end of 6 months or so that there must be something behind it. In any case, I'm open to hearing any theories. I don't know the answers so I'm curious to hear what people have to say.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    If you can get 3 sets of 5 reps do that. Run that for 2 weeks and try and get 1 more rep the next time.
    10, 10, 8, 6, 5. Each time I try and get 1 more rep on the sets I'm missing. Heck, over the course of a month or two it might look like this by the time I work up: 10,10,10,10, 9. <--still shooting for that 1 last rep.

Maybe you get 7, 7, 5 instead of 10,10,10 with 50lbs. That's okay. Just try and get 1 more rep than the last time. Over time you'll get 10,10,10.

Just out of curiosity, I've heard that less reps at a higher weight make you bulk up more than less weight at higher reps. Of course I know this takes a lot of time, but I'll be on this regimen at least through April when the weather warms up enough to be outside, so I'd like to make sure I'm doing what I can to just tone what I have or build some more lean muscle, rather than emphasizing just putting on more muscle. Not trying to be one of the ladies who think they're going to turn into the hulk after two months of lifting heavy (lol), but I'd like to understand how to go about things to get the results I'm looking for.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Just out of curiosity, I've heard that less reps at a higher weight make you bulk up more than less weight at higher reps. Of course I know this takes a lot of time, but I'll be on this regimen at least through April when the weather warms up enough to be outside, so I'd like to make sure I'm doing what I can to just tone what I have or build some more lean muscle, rather than emphasizing just putting on more muscle. Not trying to be one of the ladies who think they're going to turn into the hulk after two months of lifting heavy (lol), but I'd like to understand how to go about things to get the results I'm looking for.

Less reps at a heavier weight builds strength period. That bulk stuff is nonsense otherwise I'd be huge! You have to eat at a surplus to gain muscle (and fat comes along too for the ride). Even then it's a long, slow road, taking years.

But, don't believe me, believe the women in this thread http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks for all the tips. I've heard a lot of people say that you can't tone without eating an excess of calories. There seems to be some merit to that, but I've seen many people who start out chunky and begin gymnastics or competitive cheerleading or something that end up both lean AND toned by the end of 6 months or so that there must be something behind it. In any case, I'm open to hearing any theories. I don't know the answers so I'm curious to hear what people have to say.

That is correlation not causation. The people who start an exercise program and end up slimmer and looking more muscular are those that also restructure their caloric intake to decrease body fat by limiting over eating. Workouts alone will not transform your body.

Additionally, no woman bulks up in a 6 month period without wanting to, no matter how they lift. By wanting, I mean taking anabolic compounds. A good example of this is Ronda Rousey, she is not bulky but has strength trained for years. She looks very muscular, especially pre-fight due to low body fat and not having excess water weight. But, at 135lbs she is still strong, not bulky. That is because it is not something that naturally occurs in women.
  • purple4sure05
    edited October 2015
    Options

That is correlation not causation. The people who start an exercise program and end up slimmer and looking more muscular are those that also restructure their caloric intake to decrease body fat by limiting over eating. Workouts alone will not transform your body.

Additionally, no woman bulks up in a 6 month period without wanting to, no matter how they lift. By wanting, I mean taking anabolic compounds. A good example of this is Ronda Rousey, she is not bulky but has strength trained for years. She looks very muscular, especially pre-fight due to low body fat and not having excess water weight. But, at 135lbs she is still strong, not bulky. That is because it is not something that naturally occurs in women.

I mean I realize that you have to eat at a deficit to reduce any fat, I assumed that was a given with that anecdote. My point was that I have known people to begin an exercise plan and both slim down and develop muscle tone. I assume that with them being sedentary previously, they were not toned to begin with.

• JessicaNSinclair
    JessicaNSinclair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Believe me it is extremely difficult to be bulky as a woman. I would love to add on muscle by lifting heavy but it takes a LOT of time meaning years of heavy lifting and high protein eating. I would say if you can only do 5 reps with 10 lb weights, do that and then drop down to the 5 for the last 5 reps. Next time try doing 6 with the 10 lbs and 4 with the 5. Eventually you will be able to do all 10 with the 10s and start with the 15s! It's a long process but it is fun to compete against yourself and see yourself get stronger! Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    There's no difference between "building some more lean muscle" and "just putting on more muscle". "Lean muscle" is redundant, because muscle is lean by it's very nature. If you put on muscle, you're putting on "lean muscle".

What you're referring to as "toning" is simply reducing your bodyfat so your existing muscles are more visible and not covered by a layer of subcutaneous fat. You won't bulk up - that's nearly impossible to do (to any significant extent) while in a caloric deficit no matter how hard/heavy you lift in whatever rep range, and in any case it doesn't happen (to any significant extent) in a few months. Lifting "heavy" (which means heavy relative to your current abilities and progressing as you get stronger), maintaining an adequate protein intake and staying in a caloric deficit will help you reach your goals.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    There are lots of knowledgeable and experienced people here who can give you amazing advice about weight training, so I'm not going to offer any. I just want to make sure about this leg raise/curl machine that you're using: typically there are a couple of 5 pound weights at the TOP of the stack that you can add to the weight after you have set the pin at the 30 pound level (or wherever). They may not have a number on them. Just wanted to make sure that you hadn't missed seeing them on the machine. Someone at the gym could probably help if you want to double-check that.
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    There are lots of knowledgeable and experienced people here who can give you amazing advice about weight training, so I'm not going to offer any. I just want to make sure about this leg raise/curl machine that you're using: typically there are a couple of 5 pound weights at the TOP of the stack that you can add to the weight after you have set the pin at the 30 pound level (or wherever). They may not have a number on them. Just wanted to make sure that you hadn't missed seeing them on the machine. Someone at the gym could probably help if you want to double-check that.

That's a good tip. Going to the gym in about an hour, I'll definitely check that out!
  • purple4sure05
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    There's no difference between "building some more lean muscle" and "just putting on more muscle". "Lean muscle" is redundant, because muscle is lean by it's very nature. If you put on muscle, you're putting on "lean muscle".

What you're referring to as "toning" is simply reducing your bodyfat so your existing muscles are more visible and not covered by a layer of subcutaneous fat. You won't bulk up - that's nearly impossible to do (to any significant extent) while in a caloric deficit no matter how hard/heavy you lift in whatever rep range, and in any case it doesn't happen (to any significant extent) in a few months. Lifting "heavy" (which means heavy relative to your current abilities and progressing as you get stronger), maintaining an adequate protein intake and staying in a caloric deficit will help you reach your goals.

Thanks for the advice :)
  • Matp75
    Matp75 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    go to bodybuilding.com and start reading.. then begin your new life of never being big enough...I know you are readin this and thinking im crazy..if you continue to lift and get into it and enjoy it this time next year you will understand... lifting changes your outlook from loosing weight to total transformation
    I would start by using compound exersizes in the 8-10 rep to failure range
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Pick a program and stick to it. A lot of women here have had success with New Rules of Lifting for Women -- google it, read about it, and follow it to the letter.

You mention in your first post that "everyone is different"; we're not. Do what's been proven to work, and enjoy your results.