How do you cook Kale?

Options
2»

Replies

• Refosco715
    Refosco715 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Steamed or sauteed. If sauteed I try not to overcooked it, so I don't kill the vitamins (it's loaded with C)
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    http://vegweb.com/recipes/kale-chickpea-mash
    http://greek.food.com/recipe/kale-and-white-beans-179716 (the Asiago cheese is optional, really!)
    I often layer a can of drained butter beans, 2 T. nutritional yeast, 2 c. frozen chopped kale and 2 c. frozen chopped spinach, a little salt and pepper in a bowl, microwave 4 minutes, toss and eat.
    My daughter has been making something like this http://www.sugarandgrace.com/2013/05/24/raw-kale-salad-with-thai-peanut-dressing/ that is just wonderful, but I can't find her recipe. Similar to this, though.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 563 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Oh, and my son loves a couple of handfuls of young kale leaves in a blender with a banana, a package of frozen blueberries, and enough orange juice to process the whole thing.

And do google Dr. Terry Wahl's kale chip recipe. It's wonderful!
  • jennib1427
    jennib1427 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mmm baked kale! I put ground cumin, olive oil, salt and pepper on mine and bake them until they are crispy. Melt in your mouth and soooo savory :)
  • kellycasey5
    kellycasey5 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I like to chop the kale with leeks, toss with olive oil, pepper, a little salt, and feta. I put it..stalks and all, in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes. I toss it with tongs about 10 minutes in. It is done with the tops are crispy! So the bottom is a bit like ooey goey kale stalks leeks and cheese, and the top is crispy. I got that from a co-op I was in with my kale, and it is the best.

If I have the calories, I do like to put baguette or a sandwich thin or a slice of sourdough in the oven and have it as an open faced sandwich.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I serve it as a side dish with my fish dinners, I make it by first taking a half cup of fine chopped green bell pepper, one Jalapeno pepper and 1/4 cup of yellow onion, one tablespoon of minced garlic, one tablespoon of red pepper and one tablespoon of cilantro, and one tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Heat this mixture over high heat until the peppers and onions get soft, then add one bunch of Kale, de-stemmed and ripped to small size. Then add, two cups of fresh shredded spinach. Now add 1/2 cup of Cider Vinegar, lower to medium heat, and let simmer for about 25 minutes, server over wild rice.
  • heart3313
    heart3313 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't cook with it...but I always add it to my smoothies! :) that or spinach...it's great!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Very, very, kalefully.
  • glad4tunes
    glad4tunes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like it simple.

Wash it, shred it, Chop the stems (good nutrition there!), put in a saucepan with a small amount of water, a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon and a tiny dash of salt.

Steam for 3-5 minutes. It's important to put a little bit of fat on your greens in order to make the fat-soluble vitamins in them bio-available (A, K and E).
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Cut a couple slices of bacon into small pieces (I use kitchen shears) and cook in a pan, then add the kale once the bacon's almost done. Splash of vinegar (red wine vinegar is good) at the end helps cut some of the bitterness. I usually sprinkle walnuts on top before serving, too. Or, I "massage" raw kale with olive oil and lemon juice, let sit for a little while, then top with salad stuff (usually parmesan and walnuts).