CARB CYCLING

Options
I'm very interested as to how this would work. I'm 22 years old, currently 5' 9 at 221 pounds with no movement on the scale. I've consumed about 1800 calories every day with cheat meals on Thursday. I'm very interested in carb cycling but I'm confused as to how I should start. On my high days I would consume 300 grams and 150 on lows. How should I schedule these days during the week? Should I focus more on my macros or calorie intake? Is 300 grams a fair carb intake for a high day?

If anyone has any experience with this and has some advice, it would greatly be appreciated. Feel free to add me also. I'm very active on MFP and can help you get motivated!!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose and aren't losing, focus on calories first and adjust macros to fit that deficit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    66% carbs on high days - what's the objective ? Who are you cheating on Thursdays apart from yourself ?
  • bardiatalabi
    bardiatalabi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'd keep the 1800 and cycle the macros from there?
  • bardiatalabi
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    66% carbs on high days - what's the objective ? Who are you cheating on Thursdays apart from yourself ?

The cheats were to throw off metabolism. I would see some progress by using those after being in a calorie deficit for a majority of the week.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    It sounded like the scale wasn't moving at 1800.

• bardiatalabi
    Options

So drop it further?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Hi there I do chris powell choose more lose more carb cycling the book explains it all. Men should eat a min of 1600 on low carb days on high eat 1800 on free day 3at2400.

pick a schedule
    Hc lc hc lc hc lc free
    lc lc hc lc lc hc free
    hc hc lc hc hc lc free
    hc hc hc lc hc hc free

there are more. But it is easier to understand with chris powells method and it works. There is also a thread on motivation and support called carb cyclers unite :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

The cheats were to throw off metabolism. I would see some progress by using those after being in a calorie deficit for a majority of the week.

You don't need to "throw off" your metabolism.

If you're talking about leptin up-regulation that's likely to take longer than a day of over feeding and it's also not likely to be beneficial until you're quite lean.

My advice: ditch the cheat day for a month. Stick closely to your targets for calories and macros, don't worry about cycling intake.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

So drop it further?
    If you're absolutely sure you're accurate on the 1800 and it's been 6-8 weeks without loss, that's what I'd do.

I'd double-check your logging and food weighing, though. I'm 218 and 1800 is below my BMR (I'm probably a little taller, but still...) Most likely, you're eating more than you think.

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    We have a carb cycling group in the motivation section that you are more than welcome to look at
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options

Ahhhh nope!

If you're having a problem losing, tighten your logging.
  • Thickivory
    Thickivory Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I bought Chris powells carb cycling book. Def a must for first timers