Salisbury Steak and other ground beef patties

pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
So I made salisbury steaks last night and I made a realization, whenever I make ground beef patties they come out dry. Anybody know how to avoid that?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It happens to me when I use ground beef that is too lean. What kind were you using?
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Have you considered adding some kind of a sauce? Worcestershire, soy sauce, and any hot sauce you fancy tends to be the common choice. You can try adding a very small amount condiments or oil to the mix as well.
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2015
    Ok, so it's not beef, but I love turkey burgers. But they are so very dry when made homemade. I found a recipe on Skinnytaste.com search -: turkey zuchini burger. It's basically grated zuchini mixed into the meat. Zuchini is full of moisture. Makes it very moist & cuts calories per burger. I'm sure you could add zuchini to beef as well.
  • pie_eyes
    Francl27 wrote: »
    It happens to me when I use ground beef that is too lean. What kind were you using?

93% lean, 7% fat
  • pie_eyes
    Ok, so it's not beef, but I love turkey burgers. But they are so very dry when made homemade. I found a recipe on Skinnytaste.com search -: turkey zuchini burger. It's basically grated zuchini mixed into the meat. Zuchini is full of moisture. Makes it very moist & cuts calories per burger. I'm sure you could add zuchini to beef as well.

That's an interesting idea
  • Francl27

93% lean, 7% fat

Yep that's why. I can't use such low fat meat for burgers, it's just too dry. I just use it for recipes.
  • pie_eyes

93% lean, 7% fat

Yep that's why. I can't use such low fat meat for burgers, it's just too dry. I just use it for recipes.

What kind do you use?
  • Francl27
    For burgers I use 85% or 90% but 85% is just tastier, and it fills me up longer, so it's worth it IMO.
  • pie_eyes
    For burgers I use 85% or 90% but 85% is just tastier, and it fills me up longer, so it's worth it IMO.

Cool thanks
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,073 Member
    I use half ground beef and half ground pork, yum. A higher fat content will make them moist plus keep you full.
  • 0utrun
    0utrun Posts: 71 Member

I do this too. I also marinate with Worcestershire or lemon juice and sometimes mix the meat with minced onions and carrots.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    0utrun wrote: »

I do this too. I also marinate with Worcestershire or lemon juice and sometimes mix the meat with minced onions and carrots.

Most foods from the onion family do have quite a bit of moisture and they will give your meat more flavor and texture without added spices and seasonings. A lot of bang for your buck.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I add veggies - for beef it's typically finely chopped mushroom - up to 50% depending on the dish.
  • ereckless82
    ereckless82 Posts: 85 Member
    I add Worcestershire sauce to mine. I use 93/7 beef for mine usually and they come out nice and moist. I cook them to medium rare and finish them In a little bit of light onion, sherry, mushroom gravy.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member

I made a turkey meatloaf last night and grated an entire zucchini into it (the yellow variety). It was very moist and delicious and no one had any idea the zucchini was there!
  • pie_eyes
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Funny that you'd post this today. Just last night I made Salisbury steak for the first time in years and it turned out perfectly.

I used this recipe from skinnytaste.com. The last step where you cook it for awhile in the mushroom gravy solves the "it's too dry" problem:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/skinny-salisbury-steak-with-mushroom.html

Looks like a cool website thanks
  • anewstart22
    anewstart22 Posts: 885 Member
    edited October 2015
    Are you having salisbury steaks with brown gravy? Well either way it doesn't matter because the recipe I am going to link to makes fantastic salisbury steaks that fall apart. I use panko bread crumbs in place of the bread crumbs but I also blend them to a powder in my vitamix for my recipes. I like it that way, they seem to melt away in anything I put them in. More often I use ground turkey instead of hamburger.

Here is the recipe, I make the steak sizes half size because I don't eat all that in one sitting. I do serve with mashed potatoes and I sometimes add mushrooms to the gravy. I always have a salad with the meal too.

thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/salisbury-steak-mashed-potatoes-and-peas/
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    93/7 has the tendency to be a bit dry or bland, I agree with the 85/15 for burgers unless you're adding some other liquid and/or flavor enhancement.

On the other hand, 93/7 makes great tacos, because you always have enough seasoning and liquid to carry the day.
  • pie_eyes
    edited October 2015
    Are you having salisbury steaks with brown gravy? Well either way it doesn't matter because the recipe I am going to link to makes fantastic salisbury steaks that fall apart. I use panko bread crumbs in place of the bread crumbs but I also blend them to a powder in my vitamix for my recipes. I like it that way, they seem to melt away in anything I put them in. More often I use ground turkey instead of hamburger.

Here is the recipe, I make the steak sizes half size because I don't eat all that in one sitting. I do serve with mashed potatoes and I sometimes add mushrooms to the gravy. I always have a salad with the meal too.

Cool I'm trying again Tuesday or Wednesday I'll look at this recipe, try to incorporate it with what I already know and stuff. I'm going to use a fattier meat and see if that fixes my problem.
  • anewstart22
    edited October 2015

Cool I'm trying again Tuesday or Wednesday I'll look at this recipe, try to incorporate it with what I already know and stuff. I'm going to use a fattier meat and see if that fixes my problem.

I use lean meat in all my recipes, well I use 93/7 hamburger and I use lean ground turkey as well. It's still tender but one thing to make sure is to use the right pan, put the patties in while hot and turn down the heat to cook them. You'll get a nice sear on the outside but have time to get them started cooking on the inside. Don't let them cook all the way through on both sides at first because you will add them into the gravy to finish cooking. I use a large 12" All Clad stainless steel skillet and turning the heat down is essential so I don't burn the patties.

I have also used the ground beef and pork mixture as well. Of course that is the most tender with the turkey being a little less tender.

• pie_eyes

I use lean meat in all my recipes, well I use 93/7 hamburger and I use lean ground turkey as well. It's still tender but one thing to make sure is to use the right pan, put the patties in while hot and turn down the heat to cook them. You'll get a nice sear on the outside but have time to get them started cooking on the inside. Don't let them cook all the way through on both sides at first because you will add them into the gravy to finish cooking. I use a large 12" All Clad stainless steel skillet and turning the heat down is essential so I don't burn the patties.

I have also used the ground beef and pork mixture as well. Of course that is the most tender with the turkey being a little less tender.

I get anxiety if the meat isn't cooked through, like and the gravy I don't want that to burn away. I'll see but I get real anxiety.
  • anewstart22
    edited October 2015

I get anxiety if the meat isn't cooked through, like and the gravy I don't want that to burn away. I'll see but I get real anxiety.

No worries, the meat will cook through in the gravy and you don't cook the gravy on high heat to burn it away, there is plenty of gravy to put the meat into. Just don't overcook the meat or you will have it very dry. It needs to be under cooked when you put it back into the gravy, this will cook it the rest of the way through, I promise. You do turn the patties to cook the other side before you put them in the gravy. Just don't cook them all the way through the middle, leave a small amount of pink on the outside edge. Then they finish cooking in the gravy.

One more thing, I use ground chuck and ground sirloin not regular ground beef.
  • anewstart22

No worries, the meat will cook through in the gravy and you don't cook the gravy on high heat to burn it away, there is plenty of gravy to put the meat into. Just don't overcook the meat or you will have it very dry. It needs to be under cooked when you put it back into the gravy, this will cook it the rest of the way through, I promise. You do turn the patties to cook the other side before you put them in the gravy. Just don't cook them all the way through the middle, leave a small amount of pink on the outside edge. Then they finish cooking in the gravy.

Quoting myself so I can add to this. I always form my patties and put them on a plate, then cover with foil and put back in the refirgerator for at least 1 hour to allow the bread crumbs to soften and absorb moisture and then let them sit for about 20 minutes on the counter with loose foil coverage so the temps warm up. This helps them to cook correctly without overcooking the outside and having a raw inside. Mine is always cooked through by the time the recipe is finished. You'll like this if you follow the tips and tricks.
  • pie_eyes

Quoting myself so I can add to this. I always form my patties and put them on a plate, then cover with foil and put back in the refirgerator for at least 1 hour to allow the bread crumbs to soften and absorb moisture and then let them sit for about 20 minutes on the counter with loose foil coverage so the temps warm up. This helps them to cook correctly without overcooking the outside and having a raw inside. Mine is always cooked through by the time the recipe is finished. You'll like this if you follow the tips and tricks.

I like that idea
  • pie_eyes
    Problem solved, thanks everyone for the help. I don't know what did the trick because I tried multiple different tactics, but it all came out good. Even made a decent gravy
  • anewstart22
    Glad you liked it!