Weight training with the kids, when is too early?

Options
I took my 12 yr old ( going on 13 in March) son to the gym this weekend for the 1st time. He's played rugby for 5 yrs and is a big boy. The gym let him use the cardio machines, small silver dumbbells and a range of machines with pistons, rather than weight plates. He needs to work on his cardio and leg strength for rugby, so I think now is a good time for him to get started. It brought a tear to my eye watching him incline dumbbell press for the first time;-)) My friends say he should wait and not lift until he is older, but I think he is safe with the small range of equip he is allowed to use. Anyone else started their kids this early? Any issues or concerns I should consider?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    pembr0ke wrote: »
    Any issues or concerns I should consider?

Poor form. Not following a good, balanced program. I would have him work with a good personal trainer for a few sessions.

Machines are usually designed to fit adults, so i wouldn't assume they are safer for him than using freeweights.

By the way, sprinting drills develop cardio & leg strength for rugby.

• nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yeah windsprinting drills would be better like dude said, great for testosterone development, also just big compound movements like cleans, squats & presses is what will benefit him.
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Him doing a body weight program and windsprints would be ideal.
    https://youtu.be/LqgGhJywnHI