Any 5'6-8" Ladies who started around 175 pounds and looking to/ have already lost 40 pounds?

Options
mrsaupton
mrsaupton Posts: 47 Member
Hi All,
So I have decided to get back on the bike and endeavour to reach my fitness goal of losing 40 pounds.

Any women that have already done this and can post some words of advice or success stories?

Or any women in the same boat as me who want to team up to motivate each other to succeed?

As I am pretty new Id love to make some new friends so we can motivate one another and finally reach our goals!

Replies

• bethvanderwalker
    bethvanderwalker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same boat here!! Just starting today and would love a support team!
  • shantireddo
    shantireddo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I too started this morning. Would be great to make some friends in the same boat, I am hoping to lose 28lbs - this is my first time trying calorie counting!
  • barbh2001
    barbh2001 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm in that range. Started about 1 month ago and losing slowly.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I am just a smidge taller at 5'9, but I started at 174 and am down to 151 currently. The goal is probably about 135-140ish, depending on how I look.

So far, the one thing that has helped me is just having patience. I have been losing the weight relatively slowly in order to keep my sanity (started in May). My Fitbit has helped tremendously along with the challenges as well. Lately I have had to take it slower due to a concussion, but still truckin'. Feel free to add me if you would like. :smile:
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and started at 183lbs.
    Met my goal of 137lbs March of this year. Currently 135.6lbs.
    Been on MFP for the last two years.
    Let's see, advice ?
    Lifestyle change. Not a diet.
    Patience.
    Set small goals of weight loss not the overall number of lbs you want to lose.
    Portion control. Weigh, measure all foods.
    Limit carbs, processed foods, sodium.
    Enjoy the journey ! Each single lb you lose.
    And last. There will be days that you over eat. Never give up. ;)
  • plovdiva
    plovdiva Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey! Same situation as yours here! Started at 180, hoping to get down to 130, I've been on MFP for about a week. Last year I used the app for about 2 months and it really worked until a chain of stressful family events made me quit. Hope I do much better this time around, but to be honest I'm not so fixed on the numbers. I just want to be able to have better eating habits, move freely and be healthy. Currently I try to recover from ACL reconstruction( knee surgery) and losing weight through eexcersizing is quite a challenge for me:( so I hope that at least I do better with my eating choices! Let's do this! :)
  • jos82
    jos82 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same boat too, except I just had a baby and am breastfeeding so I'm always hungry & kind of can't limit calories too much
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 40 y/o 5'7" female who started at 174 in January 2014. I set my deficit to 500 calories per day. I weighed all my foods, and used a heart rate monitor to help figure out my calorie burn and I ate all my exercise calories. Most days that was around 1800 calories. I lost on average a pound a week - though most weeks the scale didn't budge for 2-3 weeks, then whoosh 2-3 pounds would drop. I didn't freak out, I trusted the numbers and was patient.

I tried to eat 80+ gr of protein a day to keep from losing too much muscle. I discovered it helped me not feel so 'munchy' all the time. I like my treats, so I ate a lot of fruits & veggies so I could fit in dessert, drinks, chips, etc. For me, if I eliminated them all together, I would feel too deprived and I never would have lasted. I know because that's the way I did it the other 10 times I was on this wagon and it never stuck. Figure out what works for you

When I was about 7 pounds from goal, I changed my deficit to 250. I hit my goal weight of 129 after 11 months. I upped my calories to maintenance. I knew pretty close what my maintenance calories would be, because followed the numbers all along. I gained about 2 pounds of water weight when I switched stopped eating at a deficit, which I expected. I have been maintaining almost 10 months now. I still weigh and log my foods. I still work out. I still weigh myself every morning. The only weight fluctuation I have is due to water weight.

I started Martial Arts with my kids a few months into my journey and I love it! I'm not very good, but I am learning a ton, and I love how strong my body is getting. We do a LOT of push-ups, which I have a love-hate relationship with. I hate doing them, but I love what they have done for my arms, shoulders, back & core. Find something you enjoy doing and get moving.

I highly recommend reading the posts in the getting started section found here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

You ladies can do this! But a big part of it is a mental game. Keep your head in the game.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Im 5 '7...after my first pregnancy I was over 200 lbs. Went down to 145 :) it took about a year and definitely alot of work. I worked out alot and ate healthy for the most part. Just had my second baby 4 months ago and have 15 pounds to lose to get back to 145 or less ;-)
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    jos82 wrote: »
    Same boat too, except I just had a baby and am breastfeeding so I'm always hungry & kind of can't limit calories too much

You can lose wieght while breastfeeding...most doctors recommend not going below 1800. Just watch your supply and keep your protien up and you will be fine :)
  • jaywirth88
    jaywirth88 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey! Im 5'6 and started at 170 2 1/2 months ago. I have lost about 25 lbs so far and have 10-15 lbs left til i hit my goal!
    I eat lower carbs(50-100g/day) and eat a lot of protein to help keep me fuller, longer. I allow myself to have treats and 'unhealthy' foods pretty often, but i balance them with lots of nutritious whole, unprocessed foods and i also plan for those treats so I am able to fit them into my daily calorie/ macro goals.
    Feel free to add me
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, currently at 157lbs and looking to get to around 145 and a BF% of 18.

I've been eating clean and lifting weights for a couple of years now, but now that I'm putting on muscle as well the scales are not really my friend as they don't show you how hard you've really been working! I try and get my body fat percentage (BF%) checked every 4-6 weeks and that helps me stay on track.

Any new friends to help the motivation are welcomed! I love sharing recipes and workout tips and tricks, always willing try new things :smiley:
  • peoplegreet1
    peoplegreet1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I went from 220 to now I am 179 from July 2014 to October 2015! Please feel free to add me as a friend! I need them to help me stay accountable! I am having a fun time at the gym too. Love to see everyone so healthy and going so strong! Makes me want to do all the things they can. I have a few limitations but I try my hardest!
  • kelsey8510
    kelsey8510 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5"8 and when I started, I was 176. (That went down to the 150's, then up to 186... rough time) but I'm now at 161 and looking to hit 140 as my final goal weight. All about eating as clean as possible but not going crazy with limiting myself.
  • Salsal80
    Salsal80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5'7 here, @ 175, looking to lose 20 lbs. Calorie counting helps me lose weight the most, but usually am unable to sustain once I reach my goal. Looking for change in lifestyle this time around. Breastfeeding also, so not sure how that affects my numbers yet, but will start with 1800/day from now on and see how it goes!
    Shall we have weekly check-ins?
  • MissJay75
    Options
    Salsa180, I used to have a really hard time sustaining once I reached goal. This was a 2 part problem. 1) my approach to weight loss was too aggressive. I couldn't keep up what I was doing because I felt deprived all the time. 2) I saw my goal weight as the finish line. I just didn't want to go any more

This time around, I did things differently. I went at a much slower pace. It didn't matter how long it took me to reach goal weight, because that wasn't the finish line for me. The slower pace was what made it doable for me because I wasn't restricting too much. This is the biggest weight loss success for me EVER. Not just in pure pounds lost, but in the fact that I have kept if off for over 9 months, and can see myself doing this forever.

What makes it hard for you to keep the weight off once you get there? What are you going to do differently this time around?
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 5'7 (5'6 3/4) and I'm around 170... Maybe even a bit less. I want to weigh 145. I loved this weight the most even though I was as Low as 130. I feel that weight isn't really sustainable for me and requires too much dedication. So.. The goal is 145- I want all the veterans to add me to offer their advice and expertise

All the best!
  • bethvanderwalker
    bethvanderwalker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So glad to know I'm in this with all of you. We are all fighting the same struggles. I'm a stress eater. I need help finding new ways to cope.
  • 5midlohoos
    5midlohoos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a shorty 5 5 but I'm 25 pounds into a 35-40 lb loss. It feels great to have no clothes to wear! Ha! This is the first time I've lost this kind of weight and it has been relatively easy. The secret for me was fixing my blood sugar. This helped control my hunger pangs and the weight has been dropping off 1-2 lbs per week! You can do it!!!!!
  • MissJay75
    Options
    So glad to know I'm in this with all of you. We are all fighting the same struggles. I'm a stress eater. I need help finding new ways to cope.

I discovered I am a stress/comfort eater. At the end of the day when the kids are in bed and the to do list is put away, and I want to unwind the first thing I want to do is reach for comfort foods. I haven't tried to eliminate this entirely, but I have tried to moderate it a bit.

1) I am mindful of what I eat and how much. Every thing gets logged no matter how many calories in the red it puts me.

2) I save calories for the evening because I know I will want them. It's too much battle for me to fight that habit every. single. night. I can't live like that for the rest of my life. So I've compromised with something I can live with.

3) Skittles are my go-to because they give me a lot of crunch and chew and take me a long time to eat compared to other sugary treats. But some nights I want more. At these times I try to balance the junky snacks with healthy snacks. I tell myself to have a glass of water and an apple or yogurt before getting into the chips. I may still have chips, but usually half or less than what I would have had otherwise.