Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gaining weight with High Metabalism

hi all, I am having trouble trying to keep the weight I gain because ai have a High Metabalism. Any pointers on to how I can keep the weight on?
I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Eat more

And if you struggle with that, eat calorie sense foods (nuts, nut butters, whole milk, oils, cheeses, fatty meat, eggs....etc). Making shakes can help too. You can easily blend together a 800-1000 calorie shake and it'll feel like a lot less.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Eat more

And if you struggle with that, eat calorie sense foods (nuts, nut butters, whole milk, oils, cheeses, fatty meat, eggs....etc). Making shakes can help too. You can easily blend together a 800-1000 calorie shake and it'll feel like a lot less.

Yup. Just consume enough calories.
    No low fat and diet options, but full milk and normal soda.
    Drink calories, whole milk has a ton, and won't fill you up like food does.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    How do you know that you have a high metaboilsm- do your nails and hair grow really fast?
    Could you just have a normal metabolism- like most of us- but are expending more energy than most people? Do you have lots of nervous, twitchy energy? Do you do lots of exercise?

Do you know how many calories you are actually consuming and expending? Do yuo track? You may be eating less than you thought. Regardless, the answer is to consume more calorie dense foods as above.
  • 3xercis3
    3xercis3 Posts: 4 Member
    What does the App say your kj intake should be, if u training for muscle mass a 50% carbs 50% protein diet should b your aim
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    3xercis3 wrote: »
    What does the App say your kj intake should be, if u training for muscle mass a 50% carbs 50% protein diet should b your aim

ummm so 50/50 protein and carbs and no fats? why so much protein????
  • 3xercis3
    3xercis3 Posts: 4 Member
    That's just a guide if he is trying to gain muscle. Most sources of protein will contain fat, saying that these fats tend not to be good fats. Aiming for leaner sources of protein coupled with a similar amount of carbs would be ideal. Supplementation of good oils such as fish oil, and other beneficial things such as probiotics can be used to fill the gaps where your nutrition would be lacking
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    That's just a guide if he is trying to gain muscle. Most sources of protein will contain fat, saying that these fats tend not to be good fats. Aiming for leaner sources of protein coupled with a similar amount of carbs would be ideal. Supplementation of good oils such as fish oil, and other beneficial things such as probiotics can be used to fill the gaps where your nutrition would be lacking

yea, that is not how it works. When bulking you want to aim for about .6 to.85 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill in the rest with carbs.

You get no additional benefit from over consuming on protein, but when bulking you do get the additional benefit of the insulin spike that carbs produce.

When cutting, protein then becomes more important to retain mass.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

Where's the fat?
  • L0VE3UG
    L0VE3UG Posts: 47 Member

Terrible, terrible advice. Fats are just as important as carbs and protein. You can't just take a pill of fish oil and call it good...

OP - shakes/smoothies have been useful for me since they provide nutrition without making me feel too full. Are you currently tracking your intake? Have you calculated how many calories you should be taking in? I'd figure this out as a starting point then add 200-500 cals to that number and see how you do.

I have an overactive thyroid and my family calls me "lucky". Definitely not how I feel when trying to gain!
  • blueyes28gotchu
    blueyes28gotchu Posts: 2 Member
    Eat more

Thanks bro. I am always active and playing sports as well, always moving, lots of energy, I take in 3,250 calories a day. I have been now for a few months, I have gained but keeps going up and down. No steady incline, so I prob have to up my calorie in take.
    I appreciate the feedback bro.
  • poconos27
    poconos27 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hey there, I've had trouble gaining muscle or fat since I was 16. Ironically, while I was with someone at a weight loss center the doc recommended i do a resting metabolic rate or RMR test. Voila! Turns out I burn 1800 calories just resting. No wonder I lose weight easily if I don't maintain a 2000+ calorie **healthy** diet. So blueeyes consider yourself lucky with a challenge. I think with a long list of sports you do, you may need to cut down 25% of your above average activity levels, shift more on muscle building exercises, maintain your same diet and see what happens while using this awesome app. Make sure your gym sessions are not 2 hour marathons. Other folks are right you need the right combo of fats, carbs and protein (1/2 gram of egg/dairy/fish/meat proteins per pound of body weight ). Set a ratio of more carbs than fats. Find what works for you after 60 days. Also check your weight goals are realistic as today's average person is 30% fatter or steroid bulked more than 25 years ago. So slim guys look even skinner in todays world. Stay healthy!
  • Grosen17
    Grosen17 Posts: 56 Member
    Anyone willing to share an effective meal plan with me?
    I'm 6ft 1 @ 220 lb Looking to gain 10-15 Lb WITHOUT eating s***th foods
  • monkeybusiness2104
    monkeybusiness2104 Posts: 47 Member
    Grosen17 wrote: »
    Anyone willing to share an effective meal plan with me?
    I'm 6ft 1 @ 220 lb Looking to gain 10-15 Lb WITHOUT eating s***th foods

Home made power smoothies. Add me and check my meal plans for 1000+ cal smoothies. Also do several cups of oatmeal or breakfast add peanut butter or nutella or milk and there's about 900 cal. Add coconut oil. Measure out one cup of dry brown organic rice and there's 600+ calories. Add steak. Several eggs with cheese on top add to to two pieces of toast. Add coconut oil to most everything even shakes. Teriyaki chicken rice bowls = 500+ cal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    poconos27 wrote: »
    Hey there, I've had trouble gaining muscle or fat since I was 16. Ironically, while I was with someone at a weight loss center the doc recommended i do a resting metabolic rate or RMR test. Voila! Turns out I burn 1800 calories just resting. No wonder I lose weight easily if I don't maintain a 2000+ calorie **healthy** diet. So blueeyes consider yourself lucky with a challenge. I think with a long list of sports you do, you may need to cut down 25% of your above average activity levels, shift more on muscle building exercises, maintain your same diet and see what happens while using this awesome app. Make sure your gym sessions are not 2 hour marathons. Other folks are right you need the right combo of fats, carbs and protein (1/2 gram of egg/dairy/fish/meat proteins per pound of body weight ). Set a ratio of more carbs than fats. Find what works for you after 60 days. Also check your weight goals are realistic as today's average person is 30% fatter or steroid bulked more than 25 years ago. So slim guys look even skinner in todays world. Stay healthy!
    Just want to point out that a metabolic rate of 1800 for a male is fairly common. The 2000 calorie guideline is pretty much an average between men and women.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Eat more

Thanks bro. I am always active and playing sports as well, always moving, lots of energy, I take in 3,250 calories a day. I have been now for a few months, I have gained but keeps going up and down. No steady incline, so I prob have to up my calorie in take.
    I appreciate the feedback bro.

Another thing, is you could try using a website to log your weight and take a rolling 7 day average. I use trendweight which syncs with fitbit, but there are other free websites and apps that will show overall trends instead of just trying to squint at the numbers and see what they're doing.