Not losing weight or inches - under calories & exercising da

Options
well as the subject says, I've been keeping under my calories and exercising daily (jillian michaels 30 day shred every day and Zumba, walking etc every other) but I've not lost any weight or inches, I've run out of ideas and my will power is lacking due to no results :( but I'm so desperate to get results I will not give up! Please give me some ideas as what I could be doing wrong/right and why I might not be getting ANY results, it's getting me down please help!!

Replies

• abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    maybe you are gaining muscle which could explain the lack of inches or pounds lost, considering muscle is denser than fat. I would recommend switching up your routine a little, try something like swimming laps then go for a bike ride one day, the next day do weights and use an elliptical or play racquetball.
  • roxanea
    roxanea Posts: 59
    Options
    You may want to change your excercise routine up a bit. I found that when I was doing the same thing every week my body got used to what I was doing and I stopped losing all the way around.

I also found out that I was excercising way too much and when I cut back a little than I started to lose again.

Ziz zaging your calories can also help get your body back to lossing again.

Just try to change things up a bit and see what happens and good luck.
  • stronger_faster
    Options
    Continually going under your calories could be the culprit, actually--I was struggling with this recently and bumping up/"cycling" my calories seems to be helping so far!
  • kiawya
    kiawya Posts: 73
    Options
    This happened to me too in the beginning, I agree it is converting fat to muscle.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    just looked at your diary seeing a lot of prossed food and NOT A LOT of fruit and veg!

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Looked at your diary, think it's time to get some more veggies in the diet and add sodium so you can keep an eye on it. Also make sure your body has time to recover from workouts. Hope that helps.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Make sure your eating enough calories, at least 1200 a day. Also try to eat back some of your exercise calories, I know it sounds counter intuitive but it works.
  • jtkelley420
    Options
    Can you really exercise to much to where you wont lose weight??? I did not know that..
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Looking over your diary, there seems to be a few issues. It looks like you aren't getting enough calories most days, you're intake after exercise should be close to 1200 for most women unless you are really petite. It also looks like you use a lot of quick processed foods, I don't see many lean meats or veggies, fruits. Even though you are under on calories what you do eat does matter. You aren't logging any water, are you drinking it and not logging? Water does make a big difference. Another thing to look at is to track your sodium and sugar I would guess they are fairly high with the processed foods. That will cause you're body to hold onto water because of the sodium and if you aren't drinking water it's not getting flushed out.

Try tweaking your nutrition it may be just the nudge you're body needs.
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Change your routine to bust the plateau. If you are doing the same things, day after day (same routine) then switch it up, do something new, throw in a splurge day. I know everyone is different but it has worked for me.

A persons body starts to anticipate what you are going to do and will compensate for it. Gotta keep it guessing sometimes.
  • scumbelina
    scumbelina Posts: 18
    Options
    Thank you all very much, these tips and above are great! I'm going to up my greens for sure, have always been a terrible veg dodger and fruit for that matter! So what I'm getting is to make sure I eat enough(of the right stuff) and maybe up my exercise some more?? I find it difficult to get the right balance I get worried I'll eat to much. How do I figure that out??