How do I stay on track when I have a cold

Options
After a long weekend overeating and overindulging in wine/ beer I now have a terrible cold. Sore throat, stuffy, headache. How the heck do I get back on track when all I want to do is nothing!

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just eat within your daily goal. You don't have to exercise to lose weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Soup. Pepperoni sticks and cheese. Easy snack foods. Tea.

Do nothing. Watch a movie.

Feel better.
  • rnohou2010
    rnohou2010 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about calories while you are sick. Just try to eat healthy and take it easy and relax and let your body heal. There is plenty of time for counting calories and dieting later.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, facing a cold without the comfort of ice cream is a tough one. I would try to eat your maintenance intake, lots of tea, and take it easy. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    beef broth and chicken broth -- makes the cold feel so much better!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Do the same as usual. Maybe more vitamin c foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of spicy Asian soups when I have a cold. And drink lots and lots of tea. This fills me up and makes up for the calories I didn't earn from exercise.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    I feel for you, facing a cold without the comfort of ice cream is a tough one. I would try to eat your maintenance intake, lots of tea, and take it easy. Hope you feel better soon!

Nothing wrong with ice cream. Eat it.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    Options
    I eat what my body tells me it needs when I'm ill. My main concern is to get myself well. So eat what you feel you need. I always crave rice pudding and yogurt when I'm ill which is bizarre as dairy produce is usually the worst thing to eat when poorly lol
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is me exactly - had a rubbish couple of weeks and so ready to get back on track this week and woke up with a stinking cold!! - I did workout anyway though as I'm mad! :p
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have had a cold for a werk, and i think im the only person i know who is starving wgen they are sick, i also should be getting my period in the next day or 2. Whatever. Eat all the food, like seriously all of it..get better..and move on to next week.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Same way you do when you aren't sick. Eat within your calorie goals. If you don't feel like eating at a deficit, then set your goal to maintenance and eat there until you feel better, then switch it back to a deficit.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of chicken broth, ginger tea with lemon to heal. Don't stress over your macros and just eat within your caloric allowance. Feel better!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Rest and fluids. It's hardly rocket science!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    I have had a cold for a werk, and i think im the only person i know who is starving wgen they are sick, i also should be getting my period in the next day or 2. Whatever. Eat all the food, like seriously all of it..get better..and move on to next week.

I'm always hungry when I'm sick too! It's frustrating.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Take a break. I was sick with a sore throat, cough, even a low grade fever, and I still dragged myself to the gym everyday and did my usual workout. Not only did I probably infect the public, but it took me easily an extra week to recover from my illness that I could've saved had I taken care of myself in the beginning.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Same way you do when you aren't sick. Eat within your calorie goals. If you don't feel like eating at a deficit, then set your goal to maintenance and eat there until you feel better, then switch it back to a deficit.

I often switch to maintenance when sick. I look at practicing maintenance as a great experiment anyway. Can I loosen the reins without going crazy? Turns out I can, thankfully.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I just got over having a cold/sinus infection and did horribly. I'm anxious to review the suggestions!!!
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »

Nothing wrong with ice cream. Eat it.

I think that was in regards to dairy not being a great idea while you are mucusy and coughing. It only leads to more mucus and grossness.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Set to maintenance

Chicken soup

Meds as required for symptoms

Sleep

Childcare