Interesting trend in my Bowflex training.

Options
Hello all. I have searched Google for any reference to this phenomenon I have experienced in the last couple weeks. I have found that my strength seems increased when it is hot and humid out. I don't know if this is because of the heat affecting my body, or the Bowflex...but I have noticed I can do much more weight and many more reps than my 'normal'.

Example Saturday when it was 23 C I was able to do only 6 reps of 200 lbs for the Bench Press, but yesterday when it was 33 C I was able to do 12 at 210lbs and even went and did another 5 at 220 afterwards because I felt I didn't work out enough.

Is there something that could explain this or should I be looking at other factors/variables more closely instead of the heat?

Replies

• ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    Options
    No idea, but I desperately want a bowflex *jealous* lol
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm able to perform my best in the heat as well, just how my body works. I guess the heat helps get my body all warmed up and my muscles are nice and loose and ready to go!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Could it be that your muscles are warmer so it permits you to do more? I know most people only stretch for about 5 minutes and thats not enough time for your muscles to heat up. It should be more like 10 to 15 minutes and your stretching should look more like low impact yoga than the typical stretching we learned in school.
  • Ndskuse
    Ndskuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Well that is good that I am not the only one that experiences peak performance in the heat! I think you could be onto something there about it being the fact the muscles have little need to be 'warmed up' when it is already 30+ degrees.
  • Autumn1206
    Autumn1206 Posts: 126
    Options

I got mine off of craigslist for a pretty deep discount. It has been totally worth every penny
  • ajricketts
    ajricketts Posts: 32
    Options

I got mine off of craigslist for a pretty deep discount. It has been totally worth every penny

I've been looking there, just don't have the cash. My wife is a teacher so she doesn't get paid for the summer :( That means no extra spending for me