Taking a pause from low calories, once in a while.

Options
Hi all,

does any of you eat at (almost) maintenance every once in a while? For example, every three months or every 10 pounds lost?
I don't mean overeat for 1-2 days, I mean eating at maintenance for a few weeks.

Is it helpful/necessary in order to have a successful weight loss? What do you think?

Replies

• rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've found that it can help me drop a few pounds. But I only do it for 1-2 days. I could see it helping you not get burnt out but it can definitely become a slippery slope.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary at all for weight loss, but some people enjoy doing it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do/did this when losing weight. Maintenance breaks, or diet breaks, are great for physiological and psychological reasons. Here are a couple of articles about them:

Diet breaks
    * http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
    * http://strengthunbound.com/when-to-take-a-diet-break/
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I ate at maintenance for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds very worthy... Better than all that gnashing of teeth, tearing of hair, and rending of shirts that goes on around here! Lol
  • jemhh
    Options

Slacker.

I may have eaten at your maintenance for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your point of views.

@jemhh, this is exactly what I was thinking about. I wouldn't really use the word "diet break", because I would still be logging everything and be sure not to go over my limit.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Artemiris wrote: »
    Thank you for your point of views.

@jemhh, this is exactly what I was thinking about. I wouldn't really use the word "diet break", because I would still be logging everything and be sure not to go over my limit.

I always log too. People call it different things so there's no standard definition/term for it. I eat at maintenance, exercise like normal, and log.
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @jemhh How often do you do that? And for how many days?
  • momandmedaycare
    momandmedaycare Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ya but couldn't you eat a few over the day before and spend some extra time on the treadmill the next day? Especially during the holidays when eating in your calorie goals is harder?
  • jemhh
    edited October 2015
    Options
    @Artemiris I don't do it on a set schedule. When I am losing weight, I am usually not hungry beyond "oh, it's dinner time" kind of hunger. When I get to the point where I am just hungry all of the time, I take a week off. Well, actually 8 days because I usually do Sunday through Sunday. I am usually ready and raring to get back to cutting my calories by Friday at the latest, but I make myself wait because the extra calories for a few more days helps me out with exercise (lifting) so much.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Slacker.

I may have eaten at your maintenance for Thanksgiving and Christmas last year.

In all honesty, the chocolate pie may have put me over, but I ate a little less in the few days leading up to it.

I think I'm leaving all options, but possibly not the food, on the table this year.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't mind "breaking" my diet. If I have an event, I'll eat what I want. If I'm feeling tired, and hungry, I'll eat more than usual. As long as I lose at a reasonable rate, I don't really sweat it.

I find that just eating something really satisfying is better than just eating more though. So, say a nice medium rare steak (fillet, or a New York strip), with lightly salted steamed broccoli, applesauce, and a generous helping of A1.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If anything it's probably more helpful for those of us who are older and have been obese our entire lives in order to help with loose skin. Give your skin chance to catch up with the lack of fat underneath!
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    We won't deny ourselves anything during vacations, I guess you could call that a break. We love to try new things & always seek out something special when away.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just took my first week long "break" (after 7 months) and ate a maintenance for a week. I logged everything and continued my usual workouts. This was more of a mental break. I was getting to the point I was thinking about food all the time. I have also re-evaluated my daily calories now that I'm back at deficit and decided I can deal with a slower pace of weight loss. Otherwise, I think I'm setting myself up for failure long-term.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I just let myself go a little over my calories on the weekends. It evens out. :)
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I give myself permission to eat at maintenance any day I want--it helps if I have a day that I'm very hungry. Ironically, knowing I can go up a little if I want helps me stay under.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I eat at or above maintenance periodically, but not on any type of schedule. Occasions where I choose to eat more than usual just periodically present themselves. Parties, vacations, houseguests, holidays, etc. I don't plan higher calorie days because I know they'll come along unplanned.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    As of now I eat at maintenance 2 days of the week and the other 5 I make the deficit so kinda having a little break everyweek. . Before I started back the losing weight phase I had been maintaining for 3 months because everyday I was in a deficit I felt extra hungry it was only a deficit of -350- and the reason for the extra hunger for me were that I was eating so many carbs high for so long .. and not eating much of fibers fats or protiens