Haven't Lost in 4 days now...advice?

Options

Replies

• katiepaff
    katiepaff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I realize it seems like I'm making a problem out of nothing. The reason I asked about eating back exercise calories is I keep hearing conflicting things. An acquaintance of mine says that unless I'm doing extreme training, I should stick to my 1500 calories, and not eating back any exercise calories burned. But mfp adds them to your daily allowance. I'm just confused. Apologies if it seems like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    katiepaff wrote: »
    Sorry, I realize it seems like I'm making a problem out of nothing. The reason I asked about eating back exercise calories is I keep hearing conflicting things. An acquaintance of mine says that unless I'm doing extreme training, I should stick to my 1500 calories, and not eating back any exercise calories burned. But mfp adds them to your daily allowance. I'm just confused. Apologies if it seems like I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here.

What is your height?
    What is your current weight?
    What is your goal weight?
    What did you set as your weekly loss rate?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Question: should I or should I not eat back my exercise calories? Would stopping that help me?

I wouldn't make ANY changes based on four days of not losing weight. It's too soon.
  • katiepaff
    Options
    5'4"
    1lb/week
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Katie,

It can also depend on ho you're accounting for your exercise calories. Are you entering them manually through MFP? Or getting the readouts from a cardio machine? Or are they syncing from a device like a FitBit?

MFP and cardio machines burns are usually high. Exercise calories synced from a device will be more accurate.

Likewise, are you weighing all your solid food and measuring your liquids to determine calories consumed? If not, really tightening up your logging can make a difference in the long run.

I do agree with everyone else--4 days does not a plateau make. :smiley:
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    5'4"
    1lb/week

So you're set at one pound per week ... losing two and a half per week on average over the past month ... then freaking out because of FOUR DAYS?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    5'4"
    1lb/week

And on average have you been losing 1lb / week?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    This is why everyone quits a diet after a month. If you're freaking out after 4 days....what happens when you go two weeks with nothing? Or "gasp" the scale goes up a pound or two.

"Patience, you must learn patience".
    Yoda
  • katiepaff
    Options
    Thanks for the perspective, guys. Appreciate it! I will try to stay patient.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

It's noteworthy that losing at over double your planned rate didn't trigger a thread asking what you needed to fix.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Are you close to getting your period? Or are you possibly ovulating? These things make my weight loss stall. I don't even count these as plateaus because if I keep eating cleanly throughout, I know that the weight will come off right after.
  • ledarkrose
    ledarkrose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I don't lose anything after 2 weeks, I realize it's time to step it up :smiley:
  • Chasity6
    Chasity6 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Agreed stay patient. I love trendweight it helps me to stay on track when the scale moves around even though it goes up and down averaging 1lb or more a week slowly going down.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Your MFP calorie amount does not include calories burned from exercise, so you should eat those back. However, many people consider the calorie burns given to be inflated, and so suggest you only eat back 50-75% of the calories give. You can adjust these manually.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Your MFP calorie amount does not include calories burned from exercise, so you should eat those back. However, many people consider the calorie burns given to be inflated, and so suggest you only eat back 50-75% of the calories give. You can adjust these manually.

She's losing at two and a half times her planned rate on average over the past month.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I am in such a rush to enter a new lower number on the scales, that I turn a blind eye to the cause. Whether I spent the previous day running to the bathroom and now find myself unusually empty, or whether I am dehydrated for one of various reasons, I push those silly thoughts aside and rejoice at seeing that new lower number. A new low is a new low. All is well until days and days go by and the scale won't push past that artificial loss, and I forget that it was artificial to begin with and my frustration builds. Or at least it used to. I try not to let the scales rule me anymore. My success is defined by whether I am eating under goal. Period.
  • katiepaff
    Options
    So if I'm using a Polar HRM for workouts I should not eat back those calories burned?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    So if I'm using a Polar HRM for workouts I should not eat back those calories burned?

Why would you NOT? You're losing much faster than you're planning to.
  • katiepaff
    Options
    I don't know if I'm going to continue to lose so quickly or if that was just a fluke/luck during my first month
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Most people get an initial big whoosh of water weight loss when they cut calories. You are likely correct that your weight loss is simply slowing down at this point. Now it is a more normal rate.