Beans

Options
I was wondering if anyone wants beans daily. I need to up my fiber and I love beans so I was wanting to add them to my eggs in the morning. How much is OK to eat daily I want to add maybe 3/4 cup to eggs and take out a few egg whites as beans are a good source of protein as well. Thanks

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Beans are great! No problem eatting them daily ;)
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    garbonzo beans are great on salads!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I eat beans just about daily. They're delicious, filling, and packed with good stuff.
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of beans and eggs on Friday, I've been having it daily and there is 1 more portion left. It keeps me full for ages, high in fibre and in protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them daily, but do have lots of beans. I like them with eggs, too. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Beans have lectins and phytates. Don't eat them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »

Ignore this. Beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat (generally speaking). They contain protein, fiber and a host of vital micronutrients.

I have eaten beans pretty much every day of my life since I started eating solid food. Over 1/2 a century of beans eaten without a single food related or long term medical problem. I think beans are a big part of the reason I am so healthy.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

@Yi5hedr3 . what are the basis of your statement above ?
    For the record, I eat different varieties of beans twice a week. I believe they are beneficial to my health
  • EddieSalazar
    EddieSalazar Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Eat them on the daily! Very nutritious and extremely easy to make. Just throw them in a slow cooker for a couple hours and season with a little bit of salt. And you have food for a week aha.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Eat them all the time, just watch out for gas, haha.

I eat them on top of salads, in burritos, by themselves with some sort of dressing on top, I make a bean and veggie salad (no lettuce), and will even mix in with tuna.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beans are great. Eat them without concern.
  • Soapytime
    Soapytime Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Soaking, rinsing, and cooking your beans goes a long way to breaking down those chemicals. As long as you doing that, you need not worry. I make a mean ham and bean soup. It's filling, tastes great, and low cal for the serving you get. Found it here: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/05/ham-bean-soup/ My slow cooker doesn't really seem to get hot enough, so I make it on the stove top.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    never heard anyone say that! Meat is full of hormones and crap yet still is recommended. Beans are by Fa one of the healthiest options

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love beans. I'm not a vegetarian, but they are still a major source of protein. I go through a lot of black beans and chickpeas.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I eat beans everyday! This pasta e fagioli is something I make in advance then eat for a meal each day until it's gone, so yummy (LOTS of fiber)! This has two different kinds of beans in it. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/12/pasta-e-fagioli/

I also eat burritos and quesadillas with beans quite often. I was only eating red kidney beans for a while, but black beans are delicious and perfect for quesadillas.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    I eat beans everyday! This pasta e fagioli is something I make in advance then eat for a meal each day until it's gone, so yummy (LOTS of fiber)! This has two different kinds of beans in it. http://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/12/pasta-e-fagioli/

I also eat burritos and quesadillas with beans quite often. I was only eating red kidney beans for a while, but black beans are delicious and perfect for quesadillas.

I forgot the fagioli had green beans, so technically three types of beans!
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Soapytime wrote: »

Soaking, rinsing, and cooking your beans goes a long way to breaking down those chemicals. As long as you doing that, you need not worry.

If you don't want to soak/cook dried beans (though dried beans are usually cheapest) or if you haven't got time then tinned beans are great too, already cooked so just need rinsing before use.
  • canadacatman
    canadacatman Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice