Core/butt

Options
I've never been big on working out, but I really want to tighten up my stomache and core, along with making my butt bigger/healthier. Any suggestions? I'm new to everything, so beginners tips would be awesome :)

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Planks, squats.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Planks are good for core.
    Bicycle crunches :)
    For legs/butt I do: Squats, sumo squants, pulse while sumo squatting for about 5-10 seconds, I used to do lunges but it hurts my knees but sometimes i do them, donkey kicks, leg raises, glute bridge, one leg glute bridge, one leg raise, leg raises. :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    b_hassall wrote: »
    I've never been big on working out, but I really want to tighten up my stomache and core, along with making my butt bigger/healthier. Any suggestions? I'm new to everything, so beginners tips would be awesome :)

The Gluteus Maximus (part of your butt :smile: ) is actually part of your Core musculature. Bret Contreras has done a lot of work dealing with strengthening your glutes, so you may want to look-up some of his work. The glutes are very important to basic everyday movement.
  • JessicaNSinclair
    JessicaNSinclair Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Number one thing would be diet for the core! Clean, high protein diets will allow your abs to peek through! For the booty growth lots of squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc! Don't be afraid to go heavy with the weights either!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    For the booty growth lots of squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc! Don't be afraid to go heavy with the weights either!
    + hip thrusts
  • AppetiteControlFreak
    Options
    Kettle bell swings. These will work everything you mentioned at once

Stiff leg deadlifts. Really focus on the bubble in the term bubble butt.
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Love jillian michaels videos I do them off YouTube great work out n free I have actually developed a butt from her workouts n can start to c my top two abs just need more weight loss cuz I think the other 4 r just hiding lol
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Full body workouts using compound lifts--deadlifts, squats, lunges, hip thrusts, Glute bridges, step ups, prowler pushes, kettlebell swings. You could also include sprinting and/or hill sprints, not jogging. For core work I love planks (many variations), walkouts, chops, pallofs, mountain climbers, ball rollouts, leg raises, windshield wipers, Russian twists...just some of the exercises I use. As already stated, don't be Afraid to go heavy on your weights as you progress... On major lifts I often use 3 sets of 8 reps with 1 min. Rest between sets; 5 sets of 5 reps with 2-3 mins rest; 6 sets of 3 reps with 3-5 min rest between sets. As you lift heavier weights with more sets, decrease your reps and increase your rest. Including Olympic lifts such as cleans and snatches are fantastic also.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Squats with weights and make sure its low! For abs diet helps the most....plank exercises are great
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Squats with weights and make sure its low! For abs diet helps the most....plank exercises are great

Why Squat with light weight? Not there's a problem with low-weight squatting but why in-particular for Core training? One thing when we talk about the Core, it's important to understand what aspect of the Core is being referred to. The Core is split into Stabilizing muscles and "Movement" muscles.

Stabilizers: Transversus Abdominus (TrA), Multifidus, Longissimus, Spinal Erectors
    Movers: Rectus Abdominus (RA), Inner & Outer Obliques, Quadratus Lumborum, Gluteus Maximus, Latissimus

The Core is more complex than just abs. For my final class I wrote a meta-analysis on Core training; Squatting and Deadlifting at loads of 70%+ 1RM are the two best exercises one can do for the Stabilizers of the back, but they're actually not the best for working the RA and Obliques. I'm not saying they don't or their bad, just not the best like some think. There are many exercises good for training the RA and Obliques, AB Wheel, different plank positions, etc. I recall at one point where I had really just been squatting twice per week and doing some planks, then one day I decided to use the ab-wheel and my RA was sore for a week. In terms of fat composition, that still will be largely impacted by nutrition regardless of how you train.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Low--as in Azz-2-grass. You can start with bodyweight squats and progress to Pistol (single-leg) or weighted squats.

You can find good deals on 25#+ Kettlebells on Amazon. Start with a double-arm swing. When that gets easier, go to single-arm swing.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

The Gluteus Maximus (part of your butt :smile: ) is actually part of your Core musculature. Bret Contreras has done a lot of work dealing with strengthening your glutes, so you may want to look-up some of his work. The glutes are very important to basic everyday movement.

Yup, his training program Strong Curves is great :)
    Currently doing it and loving it.
    Squats, hip thrusts, etc. are all incorporated in that program.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Why Squat with light weight? Not there's a problem with low-weight squatting but why in-particular for Core training? One thing when we talk about the Core, it's important to understand what aspect of the Core is being referred to. The Core is split into Stabilizing muscles and "Movement" muscles.

Stabilizers: Transversus Abdominus (TrA), Multifidus, Longissimus, Spinal Erectors
    Movers: Rectus Abdominus (RA), Inner & Outer Obliques, Quadratus Lumborum, Gluteus Maximus, Latissimus

The Core is more complex than just abs. For my final class I wrote a meta-analysis on Core training; Squatting and Deadlifting at loads of 70%+ 1RM are the two best exercises one can do for the Stabilizers of the back, but they're actually not the best for working the RA and Obliques. I'm not saying they don't or their bad, just not the best like some think. There are many exercises good for training the RA and Obliques, AB Wheel, different plank positions, etc. I recall at one point where I had really just been squatting twice per week and doing some planks, then one day I decided to use the ab-wheel and my RA was sore for a week. In terms of fat composition, that still will be largely impacted by nutrition regardless of how you train.

I think she meant to squat low (below parallel) not use low weight.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Is strong curves a book or online? and what equipment do you need? thanks
  • missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Love jillian michaels videos I do them off YouTube great work out n free I have actually developed a butt from her workouts n can start to c my top two abs just need more weight loss cuz I think the other 4 r just hiding lol

Her standing ab workout is awesome. It's easy and very effective. Bonus you stand the whole time, no neck pain crunched :smiley:
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Her standing ab workout is awesome. It's easy and very effective. Bonus you stand the whole time, no neck pain crunched :smiley: [/quote]

Yes I tried the Jessica smith one I seen ppl on here saying was good. To be honest I feel jipped just finished her 30 min one now I'm going to go n do my jillian cuz she can work me!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    AsISmile wrote: »

Is strong curves a book or online? and what equipment do you need? thanks

It is a book containing four programs. Three of them require a lot of different equipment, and are best done at a gym.
    One is a bodyweight version and can be done at home (with minimal investments).