I Can't Do It

Options
I feel like I can, but the last few days I feel like quitting. I just know I'll eventually revert back to bad habits as soon as something goes wrong in my life. Always have. Feeling super down today.

Replies

• Fideloose150
    Fideloose150 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can, that's because you indeed can!

Don't let the thought that you'll "eventually" revert back to bad habits keep you from pursuing this goal today. You've already taken the first step which is usually the hardest. Now you just have to show up day in and day out.

When things don't go your way on a certain day, brush it off and get back on track the very next day. If you messed up and ate something you shouldn't have at lunch, then make sure the next meal of the day is in line with what your goals are.

We all have those days when we feel we can't, just get out of your head, tell the little voice to shut the F up, and do what you KNOW you need to do to get the results you want.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Having motivation and others to cheer and encourage you does go a long way.

Just don't give up. You can do this!
  • TheDailyChallenge
    TheDailyChallenge Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Which part do you feel you cant do? Just do one thing a day to keep moving you in the right direction towards your total health. Stick only to eating right and forget working out or if you feel deprived eat what you "need" but promise yourself to work it off.
    You got this.

Join my group for small daily healthy challenges. This keeps me accountable and on track.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/108626-a-challenge-per-day

Join us! Hang in there!
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Lucky me, I'm still eating fine. I've lost 20lbs in a month. But for the last two weeks I've been at the gym everyday, sometimes for three hours. Today I was lifting, I usually finish with an hour of cardio but my body was telling me no. I feel dizzy (I had a protein bar before the gym.) I guess I feel down because I wanted to keep up this 1lb a day trend a little longer. Realistically speaking I need to give my body time to recover. Maybe I'm pushing myself too hard.
    If you feel like you can, that's because you indeed can!

Don't let the thought that you'll "eventually" revert back to bad habits keep you from pursuing this goal today. You've already taken the first step which is usually the hardest. Now you just have to show up day in and day out.

When things don't go your way on a certain day, brush it off and get back on track the very next day. If you messed up and ate something you shouldn't have at lunch, then make sure the next meal of the day is in line with what your goals are.

We all have those days when we feel we can't, just get out of your head, tell the little voice to shut the F up, and do what you KNOW you need to do to get the results you want.

Feel free to add me as a friend. Having motivation and others to cheer and encourage you does go a long way.

Just don't give up. You can do this!

• Fideloose150
    Fideloose150 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That might be it. 1lb per day isn't easy even if you've got a lot of weight to lose. Focus on a minimum of X lbs per week or month and make those goals more conservative. There's a reason MFP doesn't let you choose over 2lbs per week as a goal.

Try scaling back on exercise as well. Listen to your body. If you're exhausted and feeling dizzy that's a good sign you might be overdoing it. Why not cut back to 2 hours until you work up enough strength/endurance?

You seem like you got a grasp on this!
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    That might be it. 1lb per day isn't easy even if you've got a lot of weight to lose. Focus on a minimum of X lbs per week or month and make those goals more conservative. There's a reason MFP doesn't let you choose over 2lbs per week as a goal.

Try scaling back on exercise as well. Listen to your body. If you're exhausted and feeling dizzy that's a good sign you might be overdoing it. Why not cut back to 2 hours until you work up enough strength/endurance?

You seem like you got a grasp on this!

1 lbs a day was never the goal it was just the byproduct of my work. It made me want to push harder, but I think I pushed as hard as I can for the time being.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Its OK to have a down day, everyone does. It sounds like you already know what's going on. Goal setting is a great thing to do but it shouldn't be something that forces you into a negative space where it becomes counter-productive and damaging. Give yourself some wiggle room and have a rest, re-assess your goals tomorrow. Chin up, you can do this!
  • entwife
    Options
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Just don't over do it so you get fed up.
    Good luck.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Lucky me, I'm still eating fine. I've lost 20lbs in a month. But for the last two weeks I've been at the gym everyday, sometimes for three hours. Today I was lifting, I usually finish with an hour of cardio but my body was telling me no. I feel dizzy (I had a protein bar before the gym.) I guess I feel down because I wanted to keep up this 1lb a day trend a little longer. Realistically speaking I need to give my body time to recover. Maybe I'm pushing myself too hard.

No wonder you feel like quitting. You're seriously punishing your body here. 1lb a day is totally unrealistic. I understand it wasn't intentional but it was a sign you were going too hard too fast. You're likely undoing your hard work in the gym with additional losses of lean muscle. I checked your diary to see what your intake is like and it looks like you haven't been logging for at least a week. Do you know how many calories a day you're eating? If you're working out a lot you need to fuel your body appropriately.

Please be kinder to your body, it's telling you stop what you're doing and get a new plan. Weight loss doesn't have to be punishing. Think about what's sustainable.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

No wonder you feel like quitting. You're seriously punishing your body here. 1lb a day is totally unrealistic. I understand it wasn't intentional but it was a sign you were going too hard too fast. You're likely undoing your hard work in the gym with additional losses of lean muscle. I checked your diary to see what your intake is like and it looks like you haven't been logging for at least a week. Do you know how many calories a day you're eating? If you're working out a lot you need to fuel your body appropriately.

Please be kinder to your body, it's telling you stop what you're doing and get a new plan. Weight loss doesn't have to be punishing. Think about what's sustainable.

Yes I know how many calories I've eaten, there was an issue with my account so I tracked it on a temporary account. Today's the first day I have access to my account.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    entwife wrote: »
    Its OK to have a down day, everyone does. It sounds like you already know what's going on. Goal setting is a great thing to do but it shouldn't be something that forces you into a negative space where it becomes counter-productive and damaging. Give yourself some wiggle room and have a rest, re-assess your goals tomorrow. Chin up, you can do this!
    Thanks, yeah it's rough. I guess it's my personality. I'm always strive to do better. But when I reach a point where I can't I tend to give up. Maybe I need a psychiatrist lol

I know I'm disappointed that I didn't do what I set out to do today. But I know listening to my body is really important. Thanks for the help
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

I'm a little disappointed I won't look like Kate Hudson... Damn chest.

This thread is great, basically describes everything I did wrong in the past. I dunno I just felt so good about working so hard it was never intended to be a rush to weightloss. I want to reach a goal this time then train myself to eat enough to maintain my weight instead of binging once I decide to no longer eat restricted.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yeah it's rough. I guess it's my personality. I'm always strive to do better. But when I reach a point where I can't I tend to give up. Maybe I need a psychiatrist lol

I know I'm disappointed that I didn't do what I set out to do today. But I know listening to my body is really important. Thanks for the help

I understand where you're coming from. I also struggle with 'perfection or nothing' thinking and it's what led to me re-gaining weight in the past. This time I've gone slower, stopped thinking in terms of 'failing', stopped beating myself up if I go over my calories or miss a work out for some reason. It's an ongoing battle but I'm re-defining what 'better'. Now 'better' is dedication, consistency, sustainability.
  • entwife
    Options

This thread is great, basically describes everything I did wrong in the past. I dunno I just felt so good about working so hard it was never intended to be a rush to weightloss. I want to reach a goal this time then train myself to eat enough to maintain my weight instead of binging once I decide to no longer eat restricted.

Ha ha no I have to say I agree, there is little chance of you looking like Kate Hudson :) No offence ;)

I can relate to the working hard thing, I tend to be 'all or nothing', on or off the wagon. Its hard to find a middle ground where I have a bit of balance with exercise, eating well and enjoying life. I'm either feeling guilty for eating badly and not exercising enough, or feeling saintly because I logged every crumb and hit my exercise target. So yeah i can relate.

Once you're rested up a bit will you come back and update us on how you are going?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    "Perfect is the enemy of good." Voltaire. It's so true!

It was fun while it lasted, eh? :) Now go out and re-examine how to make it all more reasonable, and don't you dare give up without trying it the lazier/easier way like so many of us have success with ;) That's not fair to yourself. Good luck!
  • joshuakcaron
    Options

Ha ha no I have to say I agree, there is little chance of you looking like Kate Hudson :) No offence ;)

I can relate to the working hard thing, I tend to be 'all or nothing', on or off the wagon. Its hard to find a middle ground where I have a bit of balance with exercise, eating well and enjoying life. I'm either feeling guilty for eating badly and not exercising enough, or feeling saintly because I logged every crumb and hit my exercise target. So yeah i can relate.

Once you're rested up a bit will you come back and update us on how you are going?

I feel a lot better this morning. My body isn't screaming at me right now. We will see how I feel after my 9-10 hour shift on my feet XD

If I'm lucky, it'll just be an 8 hour shift tonight.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options

What I decided this time around was to trust the process of slow weight loss as I train myself how to eat well for the rest of my life. Last time the weight poured off, I hit my goal weight, and had no clue how to maintain. I gained it all back plus some in 5 months, and discovered the community section of MFP when I decided to start over again. It's much less satisfying to lose it slowly, but is much more what maintenance is like. Watching what we eat with little to no excitement watching the scale drop. I think that's a hard thing for successful weight losers to adapt to.
  • joshuakcaron
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »

What I decided this time around was to trust the process of slow weight loss as I train myself how to eat well for the rest of my life. Last time the weight poured off, I hit my goal weight, and had no clue how to maintain. I gained it all back plus some in 5 months, and discovered the community section of MFP when I decided to start over again. It's much less satisfying to lose it slowly, but is much more what maintenance is like. Watching what we eat with little to no excitement watching the scale drop. I think that's a hard thing for successful weight losers to adapt to.

So you decided on slower weightloss so it was much closer to maitenence eating?

But if someone is determined enough and they're diligent about logging food they could in theory lose 2lbs a week and slowly adjust their diet to maitenence?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Read up on cognitive distortion and all-or-nothing thinking. Many of my weight loss compatriots are guilty, and I needed to readjust my expectations, too.

So what happens if you pick the tough road, because you are "determined enough" and you stumble? Are you suddenly a failure? Or have you simply had a set-back like the average Joe?

The mental toughness comes when you recognize a set-back, dial back the intensity for a few weeks to help your body recover, then ramp it up again. In full faith that you can do it....again.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yes they could. But it depends on your height and weight. If I lose any faster I'd be eating less than 1200 calories. I did that last time and it didn't work out in the long run. It could work for you, and you could always go to a 1# loss per week if you were getting too hungry.