Not enough calories?

Options
shantireddo
shantireddo Posts: 43 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I seem to be struggling to take in my recommended daily calories!
Today, 1400(including 200 for exercise) .. I've eaten 664.. no longer hungry and don't really want to eat just for the sake of it.

Got me wondering, does anyone else have this issue? And what happens if you take in so few? I am eating what I would normally before I started calorie counting...

Confused!

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You won't be eating just for the sake of it, you will be eating for your body's nutritional requirements for proteins and fats. If you continue to significantly under eat you will start to feel fatigued, your body will use muscle for energy instead of fat (you will lose lean body mass, this you don't want to do).

Are you sure you are calorie counting properly? If you were only eating 600 calories before it is unlikely you would need to lose weight. Make sure you are weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink. Track everything.

Do not eat 'diet' products, eat calorie dense foods, make sure you are getting plenty of good fats.

Calorie dense foods include nut butters, nuts and seeds, avocado, oils for salad dressings and cooking, eggs plus a host of others.

If you open your food diary we can offer some tweaks and suggestions.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are eating what you normally ate while getting to be 28 pounds overweight, you are not weighing your food or logging it accurately. Nobody becomes overweight eating 664 calories per day. Babies less than a year old eat that many calories per day.

Eating super low one day isn't going to kill you. But you should aim to average your goal each day.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you JUST started dieting, then it's rather normal to not be hungry (for some lucky people). But after a week or two you will probably be so RAVENOUS that you'll binge. I find that by eating to goal every day (or close to it) I avoid the binges that occur on the weekends or around a buffet or late at night when no one's watching.
  • shantireddo
    Options
    Thanks :smile: I eat it lot of nuts and those kinds of things anyway, but made a point of buying some more today to keep me going.
    It feels like I am 'eating for the sake of it', purely because I am just not hungry lol

I shall try eggs and nuts tomorrow! :wink:
  • shantireddo
    Options
    Thanks, yes I am surprised at how low it was.. although I have made a point of measuring and weighing everything.
    I'm 10 stone and very short, I know I must have been taking them in somewhere before hand.
    I am one of those awkward people that misses meals etc I'll keep going and keep trying to eat the recommended amount
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I seem to be struggling to take in my recommended daily calories

This happened to me when I first started, I think it's quite common.
    As you are looking (hopefully) to make long term changes it makes sense to use this 'not hungry' time to practice eating correctly portioned meals and snacks so that when the huunger hits you know what sort of meals and snacks to eat to stay within your allowance. I try to eat often enough that I don't get hungry, if I get hungry I am likely to binge.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You may have eaten more than you think
  • cgangl1821
    cgangl1821 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do IF 5:2, and I have found the day after a fast day I can only eat about 800 or so calories. However, the day after that I am starving and want piles of junk food. I have found that between the two days, it really evens out where I will be at of a little lower than my 1400 daily food allotment. Usually lower, but sometimes it is embarrassing. Lol. Anyway, since I started this, i have been losing weight, and not feeling too deprived. Good luck with your journey!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I only tend to undereat if I either am for some reason only able to get foods I don't find particularly appetizing, or if I am stressed out (unlike others, stress generally suppresses my appetite).
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I had dental surgery today. Broken crown and the tooth under it was no good. Eight stiches. I want to eat but in pain. I tried soup but only the liquid and a snack pack...maybe tomorrow will be better. If I would of known I was having surgery I would of had something really good!!!
  • eskimohugger
    eskimohugger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I seem to be struggling to take in my recommended daily calories!
    Today, 1400(including 200 for exercise) .. I've eaten 664.. no longer hungry and don't really want to eat just for the sake of it.

Got me wondering, does anyone else have this issue? And what happens if you take in so few? I am eating what I would normally before I started calorie counting...

Confused!

I do too but I force myself to eat. I wont force myself to eat a big thing like a burger or even a salad. I'll stick to eating crackers and water until my calories are reached. What really helps is watching a show or doing some paperwork and mindlessly munching on popcorn or something that can fill your calorie deficit and you wont even notice!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really low. Sometimes I stop short of my goal but it's always 1400-1500. How do you get enough protein or fiber or vitamins with such low calories?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I assume you don't have a food scale but maybe I shouldn't assume.

If you really don't, get one. Weigh the nuts. You'll be shocked.
  • siew771
    siew771 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    oh gosh! I am struggling the same thing. It keeps telling me that I need to eat more, since there's a remaining 555 calories at the end of the day.
  • shantireddo
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am going to make my meals a little 'fuller' (more like a meal and not a snack) and make sure I reach my calorie goal :) I have been using scales, and will be logging as accurately as possible. Thanks again!