Gained weight during period

does anyone gain weight and appetite during period ?

How much weight you gain?

Do you crave for sweet stuff and salty snacks ?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    A lot of people do.

It varies.

Yes, some do. Some don't.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,901 Member
    I retain fluid and get violently ill. I do not want to eat one food over another. I want a heating pad or an ice pack randomly. I am not much into 'sweets' and 'salty' foods turn me off. Put milk in front of me and I will drink the whole gallon.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Depending on the month, I gain 3-8 pounds but it's all water weight, will go back down in a few days.

I crave snacks and junk food, and it's hard to keep it in check, especially cause I have a hard time keeping to my normal workout. I usually eat a little extra (ok sometimes a lot) and make it up later.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    I tend to gain water weight the week before and I'm back to normal during - I do crave like mad but try to resist stepping outside of my normal habits as much as possible
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    I hear that some people do.

That varies.

People crave sweet and salty stuff regardless of what day of the month it is. This is normal.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    I gain about 4 lbs that week. I crave sweets, but don't go crazy & eat everything in sight. Just a few bites of this & that to keep myself from feeling deprived. The extra lbs are gone by the next week.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    I seem to always crave hot chips and chocolate during that time, so normally I try and preoccupy myself and if that doesn't help I just don't go overboard and binge
  • GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    I never noticed it until I joined MFP. I can fluctuate by 5lbs. Its so sad but look it happens and then 2 weeks after I lose that weight plus a couple of extra pounds. I am starting to realise I get one significant week a month with a decent loss, the others go up and down depending on how close to TOM I am.

I do not have a sweet tooth but 3 days before and the first couple of days I do. I also tend to crave salty foods.
  • I seeem to either gain a pound and a half or I maintain for about two weeks, then after its done the weight comes off. It sucks, but if you start tracking your weight around that time (and around ovulation, which is when I usually gain) it is incredibly predictable.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    I either gain a couple pounds or my weight doesn't budge at all. Usually a few days later my weight drops again. I don't stress about it. I do get really hungry but I try to keep it in check.
  • CaliDollFace
    CaliDollFace Posts: 27 Member
    Goodness, yes! It's usually a really tough time for me. Actually, yesterday started my pre-TOM week, which is my I must have all the food!! week. I'm determined to not give in, though. I'm putting my energy into working out extra hard this week and next week, the period week. I'm going to try to burn off enough to counter-balance the water weight.

Thanks for this thread, OP. I will keep this mind during the white-knuckle moments.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    i generally gain 4-5 lbs in the days before my period but it disappears again a few days later
    I do crave salty and chocolate.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    I'm on birth control that stops my periods (thank the lord!) - but I used to gain anything up to 6lbs during my period. It didn't bother me as I knew it would go as soon as my period stopped, but I struggled to do up my tightest pair of jeans when this was going on and I felt very heavy!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    totally normal to gain during TOM - anything up to 3lbs for me, its just water weight and will go away within 5 to 7 days...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited October 2015

Even the men here know that women gain weight etc. during their periods. :grin:
    My husband can just look at me and tell that I'm days away from the start of a period because I'm slightly more puffy than usual.

Personally I discovered that this happens when I was in my early teens.

It's normal.

However, it wasn't until my early twenties that I discovered that when I'm a bit heavier, I have cravings and an increased appetite ... but when I'm lighter that all goes away. Happily, I dropped below whatever the cut-off weight is for me about 3 months ago. No more cravings and increased appetite. But I do still gain 1 kg or so.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

My husband can just look at me and tell that I'm days away from the start of a period because I'm slightly more puffy than usual.

It's normal.

However, it wasn't until my early twenties that I discovered that when I'm a bit heavier, I have cravings and an increased appetite ... but when I'm lighter that all goes away. Happily, I dropped below whatever the cut-off weight is for me about 3 months ago. No more cravings and increased appetite. But I do still gain 1 kg or so.

LOL my husband just needs to listen to me to know that I'm due on :bigsmile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    edited October 2015
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's normal.

Mine usually guesses it about a day before my cranky day ... he murmurs something about "knowledge" and "self preservation". :lol::bigsmile:

• norafinnland
    norafinnland Posts: 14 Member
    It's like hell but I don't give in... Craving 4 something and I just ignore it... And all the water the body retains, impossible to lose weight during period... I usually gain like 1-2 pounds, but I lose them after hell is over
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I get very sporadic periods, but know I'm due when I crank on a couple pounds for no reason and crave chocolate. Thank goodness for a decent sex ed as a teen, so I've always had a good understanding of what's going on with my body.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

It's normal.

Mine usually guesses it about a day before my cranky day ... he murmurs something about "knowledge" and "self preservation". :lol::bigsmile:

LOL..I dare my guy to say something....with my eyes.....21 years ago he would have stupidly said something like "Must be that time of the month"...lol...not anymore! Now it's more like "Do you need me to go buy cake?" Aw, love!

But...the OP's question....What do I crave...I crave CHOCOLATE....chocolate ANYTHING, chocolate covered in chocolate, with chocolate sprinkles....and lots of it. How do I deal with it? One bite at a time, and very slowly, to savour every single bit....I believe in giving my body what it wants at this TOM...my weight goes up a lb or two, but back down again a few days later, so I don't even give it a thought anymore. xo