Options
2»

Replies

• LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Moekup wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that it seems everyone has vitamin D deficiency? My blood work shows that mine is very low and the Dr. wants me on a supplement. Gave me the prescription one and it made me nausea so said to just get over the counter. Any suggestions on good ones? It seems like everyone I talk to has the same problem?? :( Not sure if this has any bearing on the weight loss? Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated.

We spend a lot of time in doors so we are all low on it. I take a low dose everyday without ever stopping because if I do stop, it eventually goes back down. Ive heard of vitamin d pills making someone nauseous before also, they actually werent able to tolerate any form of vitamin d pills. The rx the dr gave you might have been too high of a dose, rx vitamin d are usually really high so try something low maybe 2000? Hope you find one that works for you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D3 daily in a spray. 3000 iu.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    It does seem to be more common these days ... coincidentally, everyone is encouraged to hide from the sun. Before you stick a toe out there, you're supposed to be wearing a thick layer of sunscreen, a long-sleeved top, a hat, dark sunglasses, etc. etc. and even then you're only supposed to spend about 10 min outside when the sun is the highest.

I do two things:

-- I take a Vit D supplement, one I got at the local chemist and it seems to be fine.

-- I get outside in the sunshine as often as possible. One of my most favourite parts of the day is going for a half-hour walk in the sunshine at lunchtime. Now, of course, don't go crazy. Sunburn is not a good idea, nor is turning yourself into something that looks like tanned leather. But I've read somewhere that exposing arms and/or legs and face to the sun for 10 minutes every day will provide a reasonable amount of Vit D. Sorry, I don't have a reference for that.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep most folks need 4000-5000/day in supplement form. Make it so.
  • mumfy23
    mumfy23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My doctor game me the liquid D3 - you can find it on amazon. Made a huge difference.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Moekup wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that it seems everyone has vitamin D deficiency? My blood work shows that mine is very low and the Dr. wants me on a supplement. Gave me the prescription one and it made me nausea so said to just get over the counter. Any suggestions on good ones? It seems like everyone I talk to has the same problem?? :( Not sure if this has any bearing on the weight loss? Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Did you take yours with food?

I take Source Naturals, Vitamin D-3, 1,000 IU with food, have no problems, and no longer test deficient.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to convince my wife she needs more Vitamin D, but she's not buying it.

(bad-da-bing!)
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Yea usually if a doctor hands you a vit d2 rx its for 50000 iu every week. more like a boost. I was a little low at 24.2 and currently take 5000 iu pill from Costco every day, or atleast every other day.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I was very low in Vit D (17) plus a few other things. I took a prescription dose for a few weeks and now I take an otc D3 every other day per my dr's request. I lost weight more steadily after being on it for a bit BUT I also have to take other supplements (such as iron, magnesium, b12 etc) so who knows if it's D related or not!

Also, to add: just going out in the sun isn't always enough. I'm out in the sun daily with the kids plus I run anywhere from 30 min- 2 hours in the sun and it didn't help with my D. My dermatologist almost had a fit when I mentioned being deficient and thinking about getting more sun exposure. He said that he'd rather patients take a supplement than risk increases in skin cancer, etc from sun exposure. You don't have to be burned to have damage.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Just to chime in, I have a Vit D deficiency (I take 20000 IU D3 once a week) and I agree sometimes the sun is not enough, I was diagnosed in March and I walk 2 miles to work everyday so I am outside most of the time, I run outside in the mornings (at the time I wasn't as I was exhausted). I am also fair skinned, blonde/blue eyed so I am at a high risk of sunburn. To the OP what might help is to take the supplement with food.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The Solgar Vitamin D in 1000 IU and Raw 2000 IU is good. That in addition to the multivitamin is good. You can go regular or food based.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had a severe deficiency. I took 4000 mg daily (D3 drops - 4x1 drop of 1000mg - brand name CanPrev, doubt it's available outside of Canada though) for a year, and it's normal now. Will probably take 1 drop a day from now on, since our days are getting shorter. (By 1st week of Nov, they'll end around 4-5pm :/ soooooo sad about that)
    I used to have a Vitamin D deficiency when I was much heavier. I had no idea malabosrtion was linked with obesity. I'm still overweight, but haven't had as much of a problem since having lost the majority of my weight.
    I do make it a point to walk out in the backyard for a few minutes a few times a week for some high exspoure sunshine.

Also with a high body fat percentage at normal weight.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    I didn't realize there was a link between D deficiency and fatigue. Hmm.

I was wrecked until the drops started kicking in.