International Travel and entering food calories

over the next few months ill be taking multiple trips to Saudi Arabia and UAE. And in thinking of just adding that general calorie count of 1000 or 500 because I'm thinking I don't know even if calorie counting for foods eaten even is taken into account overseas or is available to lookup in these countries. . Any advice ???/

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited October 2015
    This site isn't just for people in the United States, you know.

The database is full of foods from Australia (where I am), the UK, and other parts of the world.

That's one of the reasons I chose this particular site ... because it did have foods from all over the place.

Go into your food database and type the words Saudi Arabia ... just the place, no specific food ... and you'll get a whole list of food. When you get there, you'll type the food with the word Saudi Arabia behind it. That's pretty much how I find Australian food. I type the food I'm looking for with the word Australia behind it.

• tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    just enter the nutritional info yourself. it should be on the food package.
    i live in the middle east and i often do that. but many foods are actually already listed on the database.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Hello! I eat a lot of international foods and find that most items are actually already in the database. Or if not, I have googled the recipe and pasted the link in the Recipe section and add the portion to my food diary, that way its a more accurate read on what I'm eating.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Yes, believe or not, calories are an internationally recognised unit of measurement.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    It was surprisingly easy to count calories while I was living in Italy. Most of the food was already in the database and if it wasn't, I just added it. The harder part for me was guesstimating my calorie intake when I was eating out and not having a body weight scale to see how I was maintaining.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I travel pretty much all over the place (visited 6 countries alone in this year) on a regular basis. I have never ever had any issue finding the products I wanted/needed. Barcode scanning in the app has been a useful tool too, but really it is pretty much all in the database