Why is (US) size 10 Medium??

Options

Replies

• canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think they play mind games. I just bought some Fila workout pants (which I love, BTW) but the mediums didn't fit. (I'm 5'5", 140, wear 8 in pants, typically) So I went to smalls, which were perfect. When I compared them to my Danskin pants they were only SLIGHTLY smaller, like less than a quarter of an inch around the waist and seemed the same in the legs.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and when I graduated high school, I was a size 8 at 145 lbs. I had people constantly telling me I was too thin. You could see my rib bones sticking out and my head looked 5 sizes too big for my body.

It's all about frame size.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have been a normal BMI and size 8. I am currently wearing 8 and I'm still 8 lbs overweight, but I don't think these last 8 lbs will cause me to go down a size.

I'm not really seeing why BMI would have anything to with clothing sizes though.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Definitely mind games. Remember in The Devil Wears Prada when Nigel says, "6 is the new 14" - or something like that? Fitting into a size doesn't really make for celebration much anymore, because nothing is standardized. My mind is blown by vintage sewing pattern sizes from the 50's and 60's - size 14 patterns have a 34" bust measure. WHAT??
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm a normal BMI at a 14. Which is 175 pounds and 5'11. Currently I'm 150 and wear a 6/8, Medium tops.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't mean anything.

I'm 5'5", 133 pounds, usually wear a size 6 (I think. That depends on the brand, obviously. Basing that of the Lee brand). Some brands I fit in M the best, but if they have XS sizes, I usually go for S (with the exception of a couple Old Navy tops where the XS actually fit best for me). But I bought a swimsuit in S that is a bit too tight, and they also had a XS size, so...

Basically it depends on 1) your height, 2) your frame, 3) the brand.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Sizes are so ridiculous. I can go from a medium to a XXL pending the store/brand.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 155 lbs and wear anything from a 6 in some dresses to a 10. At one shop (White House - Black Market) the sales woman said, "Yeah, we make our sizes bigger so customers feel like they're wearing a smaller size." That's helpful.

The sizes vary even within one store. At Banana Republic outlet, I bought a size 6 dress, a medium sweater, and 10p trousers.

It just makes shopping online really difficult. I return a LOT of clothes!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 155 lbs and wear anything from a 6 in some dresses to a 10. At one shop (White House - Black Market) the sales woman said, "Yeah, we make our sizes bigger so customers feel like they're wearing a smaller size." That's helpful.

The sizes vary even within one store. At Banana Republic outlet, I bought a size 6 dress, a medium sweater, and 10p trousers.

It just makes shopping online really difficult. I return a LOT of clothes!

I only shop online for brands I'm familiar with at this point - and I need to be familiar with the type of clothes too (dress, pants, shirts etc) to make sure they will fit.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    some brands I'm a 12 others I'm a 6

i generally go check out the brand sizing chart online to know what sizes i need. especially if i order online.

sizes are not standardized
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sizes vary by manufacturer. I'm a 4 in some 6 in others and I have (okay seriously I love them 8 for my bloaty days).
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sizing confuses the ever-living daylights out of me. I'm a medium and a size 6 or 8 depending on the brand. I'm short and still overweight for my height.

@PeachyCarol I know that I'm the same weight as you +/- 2lbs, the same age and 2 inches shorter, and I wear a 12/14 or a medium/large in pretty much every brand with the better brands trending smaller. I've bought clothes mail-order as well as in-store, and clothing made for the American market trends a size larger than than garments stitched for the Canadian market.

As for vintage, it also trends smaller but not quite as drastically as some articles on vanity sizing would suggest. I have a vintage ladies suit that I dug out of the back of my closet. It's a mid-80s medium top and large skirt. They both fit but the skirt is still on the tight side despite being a size larger than the top. I'd peg them both at a modern size 10/12. Old-school patterns were cut very narrow but it was presumed in those days that women canny enough to stitch their own clothes would record their measurements and alter the pattern accordingly.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Because people come in a lot of sizes and that range is sort of the middle! It's not a conspiracy! I'm 5'6" and even obese I wear 10s 12s and a few 14s... Tops are mediums and larges. At the top of my goal weight I'll be in 6s and 8s. If I hit the 120s I will be 2s and 4s. Just my very narrow bone structure. Diet and body composition only changes so much.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    Sizing confuses the ever-living daylights out of me. I'm a medium and a size 6 or 8 depending on the brand. I'm short and still overweight for my height.

@PeachyCarol I know that I'm the same weight as you +/- 2lbs, the same age and 2 inches shorter, and I wear a 12/14 or a medium/large in pretty much every brand with the better brands trending smaller. I've bought clothes mail-order as well as in-store, and clothing made for the American market trends a size larger than than garments stitched for the Canadian market.

As for vintage, it also trends smaller but not quite as drastically as some articles on vanity sizing would suggest. I have a vintage ladies suit that I dug out of the back of my closet. It's a mid-80s medium top and large skirt. They both fit but the skirt is still on the tight side despite being a size larger than the top. I'd peg them both at a modern size 10/12. Old-school patterns were cut very narrow but it was presumed in those days that women canny enough to stitch their own clothes would record their measurements and alter the pattern accordingly.

You're only an inch shorter than me. I've shrunk. I'm only 5'1". I wear a small or a medium with better brands being a medium. That's interesting about clothes for Canada.

An interesting insight into TRULY vintage sizing: Back in the '80's, my Nan gave me a size 12 dress from the '50's. I was a size 12 at the time. That sucker was TIGHT up top.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options

You're only an inch shorter than me. I've shrunk. I'm only 5'1". I wear a small or a medium with better brands being a medium. That's interesting about clothes for Canada.

An interesting insight into TRULY vintage sizing: Back in the '80's, my Nan gave me a size 12 dress from the '50's. I was a size 12 at the time. That sucker was TIGHT up top.

It's so true about body composition. I cannot underscore enough to people how much difference height makes. Have you tried browsing the kid's sections yet? There's some great deals there for petite basics.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Heck, I've ordered the same garment same size at the same time in two different colors and they have fit differently. I think clothing manufacturers just have an evil sense of humor :naughty:
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

It's so true about body composition. I cannot underscore enough to people how much difference height makes. Have you tried browsing the kid's sections yet? There's some great deals there for petite basics.

I'm 5ft and 120-125lbs and I wear anywhere from a 0 to a 4. When I was in college I ran and lifted a lot and was 112lbs. A children's size 12 fit me perfectly. My 8 year old wears a 10-12! Sizes are so funky.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Heck, I've ordered the same garment same size at the same time in two different colors and they have fit differently. I think clothing manufacturers just have an evil sense of humor :naughty:

I have that issue with my running shoes?!

Even IF manufacturers tried to make sizing more consistent, we'd still be different sizes based on the items. Despite having large hips/butt, I wear 1 to 2 sizes smaller on the bottom than on top (I have a large chest and broad shoulders). Dress sizes are different for me too because they need to fit my chest. So for pants, I wear an 8 or 10. For shirts, I'd wear a large or a 12. Dresses are a 12, or sometimes a 14. Skirts, size can vary based on pencil skirt vs. a-line, etc. So, even if sizing were more consistent, we'd have a bunch of different sizes based on the item itself.

• lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I am 5"3 about 135 and I have an average BMI and am not overweight, just have a big booty and wide hips! I've worn a 8 since I was like 16 (I'm 26 now)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am thin at 8/10. That is the smallest size that I will ever be able to get into. I really can't wear tops in that size because I have large breasts. The same with dresses--I will always have to buy a larger size and tailor down because the girls are not going anywhere.

I am nearly 6' tall with a large frame size.

I really see the OP as a ridiculous humblebrag. Can you really not see that there are fit people around who are not petite?