SURGERY FOR EXCESS SKIN????

Options
Hey y'all!
Quickly I'll run through this...
I've lost over 100 pounds, still have a few more to go and I have 3 boys, but was pregnant 4 times. :-) SO...I have a lot of excess skin after all of that....I'm going to see a surgeon on Monday, about having a tummy tuck.
Had anyone been through this?? Is anyone GOING to go through this?
I saw my OB/GYN The other day for a checkup. She said "I really don't think you have much more weight to lose...it's a LOT of skin there...once that is removed, you'll probably BE at your goal weight."
I was SO excited, but terrified! What do y'all think? Does anyone know how the healing is, after this surgery? I've watched some on YouTube and it's Def. MAJOR surgery...but I didn't lose all that weight just to be left, with what I call, "baby dumbo" around my waist. ;-)
Help me calm my nerves?! LOL

Replies

• katieandlilly
    katieandlilly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a body lift to remove loose skin after massive weight loss and three pregnancies. I had 11.5 pounds of skin removed. When I woke up he told me he didn't do any liposuction and I didn't need a support garment, which is usually standard, because I had so little actual fat. My ab muscles were also completely separated, he said there was 5 inches of space in between.

I took down the pictures but my day to day recovery was chronicled at http://bodyliftconfessions.blogspot.com.

I stopped updating after week three.

It was a five figure surgery, and it was an unbelievably painful, hard recovery.
  • lindak71
    lindak71 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like what Michael Ventrella, winner of the Biggest loser, calls it- "sharpei stomach." I have excess skin as well, but need to lose a bit more. I don't think I'll be getting the surgery, though, because of the expense and the risk/recovery. Please make sure you really think hard about everything before you decide anything. Good luck.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I lost 150 pounds. I was young, but I had gained 100 of those pounds in one year, so my skin had lost elasticity, and I could hold my tummy skin out alost a foot from my body. I had a tummy tuck and brachoplasty (which removes skin from upper arms). Recovery was awful (the arms were worse than the tummy though). BUT it was so worth it. I had my tummy tuck in January of '06, and I am so grateful that I did. After six months the healing is mostly done- and within a year I felt completely back to normal- only better than normal. And as far as "being at goal" after... yeah, I proably lost a few more pounds from the skin being gone- but not being able to move for about a month and not being able to work out normally for about 6... by the time healing was done I was 10 pounds heavier than the day they weighed me in for surgery. So be careful of that.

Good luck to you!
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I want to have skin removal surgery so bad. I have lost almost 60lbs so far and I have at least 40 more to lose but I already have tons of lose skin and it looks aweful. I have no idea what the cost is or what the process is but I would love to follow your process.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with it, but I would do it. I feel the same way you do- If I have worked so hard to lose weight, I don't want a ton of loose skin flapping around like Dumbo, LOL!
  • fitmom2000
    fitmom2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost over 100 pounds and over time, with diet and excercise that included yoga, the skin tightened over time. Your skin is an organ, which means it is constantly changing. I would give yourself time to see what your results are continuing with fitness and keeping the weight off.

It's major surgery, and you're a mom. I can't imagine not being able to hold or play with my kids for weeks, or have limitations that can last for months. I also can't imagine taking some of the risks involved with three young kids, but that's just me.

I think if you give yourself time and you don't see progress, and it's something you really want, go for it. But give yourself a year or even two and see where you get. You didn't gain the 100 pounds overnight, it took your body a long time to adjust to the extra weight. It will take it a long time to adjust to losing, too.
  • JGCowboy
    JGCowboy Posts: 58
    Options
    Its amazing to see how much many of you have lost. I am sure that others will find comfort and motivation in your journeys! Congrats!
  • amrichard13
    amrichard13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think most surgeons (if they are good and caring) will require that you maintain a stable weight for some time before having this procedure done. The sad truth is that many people after losing serious amounts of weight put it and more back on.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've done a bit of reading about loose skin and they say it can take up to two years for the skin to fully recover from a major weight loss so my plan is to wait (and maintain) that long and then consider surgery to tighten up. I have noticed that my upper arms are tightening up slowly with the help of strength training. I've also started using a firming lotion on my upper thighs, upper arms, belly and chest - no idea if it's actually working but I figure the moisturizing can't hurt anyway.

The only part I'm currently annoyed with is my belly - it's so floppy now that it actually makes slappy noises when I'm doing things like running downstairs or jumping jacks. It's embarrassing!!

To your question, I can't answer from my own experience but I used to work with a girl who had a tummy tuck. It was fairly painful and took a while to recover from but she was pretty happy with the results. This is a bit TMI but hers was also medically necessary as she was getting rashes from the overlap of skin so the relief of that obviously helped with the happiness factor.
  • ypena78
    ypena78 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people on here. I dont believe in surgery because of all the risks, & i hear of people going under & never coming out all because they want the floppiness fat to go away. this is what I feel. Once I reach my goal weight loss if I have floppy skin oh well, thats just me, you atleast lost the weight, that is the main part & that is what it should be about losing weight and feeling great, but i have read up on loose skin & it will go away within time. you have to maintain your weight for about a year & you will get the elastcity back. I feel sometimes doctors tell you that you have to have it removed to get some money, sometimes I dont trust doctors, always get a second opinion on everything, My advice is do some major research & do all your homework before you make a BIG decision like this, talk about with your family to see how they feel abut this as well, & what they think about it. Good luck....
  • katieandlilly
    Options
    Between babies i maintained my weight loss for 5 years and the skin never went back, not even a little. It is largely genetic, some go back, some never do.

Surgery is not an option but to make people think that their skin will just go back when, for many folks, it won't didn't go back is ridiculous, mean, and grossy misinformed. (and really judgy - seriously, I get so aggravated at folks talking about stuff they know nothing about)
  • katieandlilly
    Options
    Sorry - I meant to say "Surgery is not the best nor first option"
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I know someone who lost over 100 pounds and over time, with diet and excercise that included yoga, the skin tightened over time. Your skin is an organ, which means it is constantly changing. I would give yourself time to see what your results are continuing with fitness and keeping the weight off.

It's major surgery, and you're a mom. I can't imagine not being able to hold or play with my kids for weeks, or have limitations that can last for months. I also can't imagine taking some of the risks involved with three young kids, but that's just me.

I think if you give yourself time and you don't see progress, and it's something you really want, go for it. But give yourself a year or even two and see where you get. You didn't gain the 100 pounds overnight, it took your body a long time to adjust to the extra weight. It will take it a long time to adjust to losing, too.

Agreed. I've read a lot that says you should wait 6 months to a year before you consider surgery. Give your body a little time nd you eithr might not need surgery OR if you do there might be less to take off.
  • bast2112
    bast2112 Posts: 63
    Options

I agree. If it were me, I'd give my skin a few years (like 2 or 3 years) to tighten on it's own, then if it's still REALLY bad, I would consider the surgery. It's risky and the recovery is brutal. You would need to have an A++ support system during your recovery, and the resolve to really watch your nutrition (under the enormous stress of the pain and recovery process) since working out would be greatly limited for a long time.

For now, DELIGHT in how great you look in clothes! :)
  • Shannibal
    Shannibal Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Skin is an organ and will shrink back down over time. It took a while to get stretched out and will take a while to shrink back. If you exfoliate your skin on a regular basis to remove the dead skin, this could help speed up the process by allowing the living skin to get back in to shape. Gaining some muscle also helps.

My advice is to let the body do its thing. You will get back to where you need to be. The cost, the pain, and the recovery of the procedure just is not worth it in my opinion.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I had a body lift to remove loose skin after massive weight loss and three pregnancies. I had 11.5 pounds of skin removed. When I woke up he told me he didn't do any liposuction and I didn't need a support garment, which is usually standard, because I had so little actual fat. My ab muscles were also completely separated, he said there was 5 inches of space in between.

I took down the pictures but my day to day recovery was chronicled at http://bodyliftconfessions.blogspot.com.

I stopped updating after week three.

It was a five figure surgery, and it was an unbelievably painful, hard recovery.

Thank you so much for sharing this. We could be body twins with the excess skin hanging while pregnant. I thought I was a freak of nature for that one.

Best wishes on your continued recovery.
  • Tammysueless
    Tammysueless Posts: 166
    Options
    My cousin (who is a nurse) undergone this proceedure and said it was the worst pain she had ever went through. And shes had 4 kids! She had the Gastric bypass, so she lost a bunch of weight very quickly and her skin never had a chance to recover. She has mixed feelings about it now that it's all over and she has recovered. Its nice to be able to wear a bikini but she has scars all over from the surgerys. You will just have to search your soul and decide if its worth all the pain, money and risk to you. When you go in to see your Dr. keep in the back of your mind that they are not gonna show you the photos of the people who wern't a total success.Keep searching the net and educating yourself. I wish you the very best of luck in whatever you decide.:flowerforyou:
  • tinamwilson
    Options
    I have lost 116# so far and have 30-40 left to lose. I spoke with my surgeon about this very subject just last week. He told me to wait until a year out and then do each procedure individually as the healing would be faster and less chance of complications over doing a larger area or multiple areas at the same time. For me...I'm doing my arms first as that is the most self conscious area because everyone sees that area. I have been doing quite a bit of cardio and strength training so I 'm hoping I will not have as much on my legs and rear end by the time I'm ready to do those areas. As for the tummy...way too much loose skin to think it will go back into place so I will definately have that done eventually. Jury is still out on the breasts...can tuck them into my socks right about now....:ohwell:

The point for me anyway is to feel great first and foremost but I also want to look great for my hubby...he married me fat and has been by my side for 20 years while I struggled with my weight...together we have made fantastic lifestyle changes and he's lost 80# as well. Life is too short to not be the best I can be!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I whole heartedly believe that you do need to decide if the pain, cost, and risk are worth it to you. For some it won't be. I saw my mom go through the surgery and yes it was extremely painful. I have seen her scars and nursed her through it and for me I would go through two times to get rid of what I have left.

I am about to post a pic because as they say they are worth a thousand words I don't know how long my nerves will let me keep it up there...

1307551954-1.jpg

It makes me so angry when people say that given time the skin will repair itself. For some people there is no way that nature can repair the damage that is done. Yes I did do the damage to myself (with a little help from my three munchkins :o) ) I have maintained an 80+ lb weight loss for almost 5 years now. It has been almost 3 yrs since my last baby was born. I have had some some improvement over the years but what is left is going to be what I am left with and it is only going to get worse as I reach my ultimate goal. I won't gain back what I lost and even if I did my stomach will never stick out as far as it did with my pregnancies. That wrinkly raisin like appearance isn't something that any amount of strength training is going to fix. I will do all the work and get as far as I can with nature on my side with proper eating and exercise but there is an amount that is going to be left that nature just won't be able to help me resolve...
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have to get the surgery. I'm going to start having fundraisers in the fall to help me raise funds (My insurance should cover most of the costs, but there will doubtlessly be things that they won't cover). I'm absolutely terrified. I've never had surgery or children, or anything.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!