Age old question

Options
How the hell do you get motivated for cardio???? I am all about the weights....now got to get into the cardio and all I can say is "ugh".......any suggestions?

Replies

• CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you have to force yourself to do it at the start, but once you fall into a routine it'll get much better. Exercise at least every other day, and soon you'll start to feel a big difference in your energy and such and you'll notice it if you take a break from exercise. However, that's just me; I'd love to hear other people's input!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    How the hell do you get motivated for cardio???? I am all about the weights....now got to get into the cardio and all I can say is "ugh".......any suggestions?

Find cardio that you enjoy. It isn't just running, but anything that raises and maintains elevated heart rate for more than 30 minutes. You can hike, play volleyball or tennis, bike, or find any other sport/activity.

• sashysash13
    sashysash13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's getting into the cardio groove that is going to be a pain in the butt.....once it's there though I am sure it will be easy....ish!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Chaelaz wrote: »

Find cardio that you enjoy. It isn't just running, but anything that raises and maintains elevated heart rate for more than 30 minutes. You can hike, play volleyball or tennis, bike, or find any other sport/activity.

pretty much that...find something you enjoy doing. personally, i love cycling.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it if you don't like it. Why try to force something you don't like? If you do, you'll just quit and give yourself a reason to be angry with yourself. I do agree that you may want to try different things. There's swimming, biking, walking, running, hiking, volley ball, tennis, etc, etc. "Cardio" does not have to mean walking on a treadmill. Honestly. If your goal is simply weight loss, you do that with calories, not with cardio. You only need cardio to improve cardiovascular endurance, not for weight loss. GET OFF THE TREADMILL LADIES!!!
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    They're right too - you HAVE to find cardio you like. For me it was tae Kwon do! It was so fun and my teachers really pushed me and before I knew it I was a slab of pure muscle! If I could find another studio even half as good I would not be on this forum right now, I would be kicking someone's butt :3 and I HATE exercise. I even have asthma! So trust me when I say that if you love the sport then the weight loss is sooooo much easier
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I get motivated because I get more food to eat, and I like having more food to eat.

Personally I have a hard time motivating myself to lift, mostly because I ache in places and ways that I didn't a few decades ago.
  • sashysash13
    Options
    I think you and I have opposite problems. Love to lift hate to do anything else!!! It's all in the mind...... I just gotta come to turns with it. Thanks!!!
  • sashysash13
    Options
    They're right too - you HAVE to find cardio you like. For me it was tae Kwon do! It was so fun and my teachers really pushed me and before I knew it I was a slab of pure muscle! If I could find another studio even half as good I would not be on this forum right now, I would be kicking someone's butt :3 and I HATE exercise. I even have asthma! So trust me when I say that if you love the sport then the weight loss is sooooo much easier

Oh I hear you!!!! Thanks!!!!