Do you believe in self sabotage?

Options
every time I hit 199 on the scale it seems like that day I allow my self to slack off and eat something I shouldn't like a dinner at Applebee's and a few sodas. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself I want to get to 190 so badly. I have been working out 5 days a week strength training and cardio :( does anyone else have this problem? I have lost 30lbs so far now my self sabotage has kept me at a stall pattern for two months

Replies

• BeckyS155
    BeckyS155 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! I feel like I should be able to reward myself with a fattening treat, like I'm a dog. I'm trying to break myself out of this rut by avoiding places and not putting "crap" food in the house cause my family wants it. I hope these little suggestions help and know your not the only one. :)
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    BeckyS155 wrote: »
    I do the same thing! I feel like I should be able to reward myself with a fattening treat, like I'm a dog. I'm trying to break myself out of this rut by avoiding places and not putting "crap" food in the house cause my family wants it. I hope these little suggestions help and know your not the only one. :)

Ya I don't keep crap in the house either for that reason and I haven't had anything like McDonald's in months. But like u I feel I deserve a treat so I get a steak that's been marinating in a pound of salt for three days lol
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you indulge in self-sabotage? I mean, a deeper reason than just feeling like it's a reward? It might be fear. Sometimes not knowing/not being able to imagine success makes it safer for us to stay in the "known zone." I've done that before with things other than weight loss, and it always helps to verbalize my fear and why it's not actually a rational fear. You can do it! 190 is sooo close and right within your grasp.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Try rewarding yourself with something non-food related. I bought myself some a new purse, or clothes for every 10 lb lost.
  • DeeDiddyGee
    DeeDiddyGee Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    every time I hit 199 on the scale it seems like that day I allow my self to slack off and eat something I shouldn't like a dinner at Applebee's and a few sodas. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself I want to get to 190 so badly. I have been working out 5 days a week strength training and cardio :( does anyone else have this problem? I have lost 30lbs so far now my self sabotage has kept me at a stall pattern for two months

I do it all the time. I realize I am doing it, and I still do it anyway.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Me, too. It's frustrating as heck. I'm trying a new tactic this week. I'm not ordering take-away, instead I'm going to make what I'm craving at home. If I don't want it enough to make it myself, then I won't get to have that treat. I am allowing myself one treat meal a week, but keeping my calories inside 2000 on that day (Friday).
    I feel good about this plan!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    Try rewarding yourself with something non-food related. I bought myself some a new purse, or clothes for every 10 lb lost.

Yes, this is a very good habit to learn. "Treats" don't need to equal food.

I also like @DessaTuck's plan. Make whatever you are craving at home so that you can control the sodium and other things that you put in it. For long-term success however, it's imperative to change your mindset from dieting = deprivation and that rewards = food. It takes work, but it can be done!
  • hollyhappyhealthy
    hollyhappyhealthy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I totally do this too! Mione has been 215....get there then gain, get there again and then gain. I finally broke it this week and got to 214.8! Didn't break past it by much, but it feels awesome!

You can do it! I totally reward myself with a "cheat" meal or day....in reality looking back when I cheat...it's so pointless! You are not alone!
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    It took my a long time to go from 208 to 199. Weeks and weeks and weeks. I would get close to 200 and the back up, over and over.

I just kept logging and exercising and working to see problems areas and deal with them ahead of time.

For instance, I had to ask my husband to please don't get dessert when we go out to dinner, I just could not stop myself from sharing. And when i eat sugar i am always very hungry the next day. He really didn't mind and said if he really wanted something he would get it to go or have a milk shake with his dinner. I am not really tempted by icecream, so this was a plan that worked.

I finally went below 200, I'm at 198 now and I haven't gone back up because I REALLY DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO DO THAT AGAIN!

My advise is to pinpoint the place where you fail and make a strong plan for how to avoid that place. If you mess up, adjust the plan and try again and again.
  • Grinder777
    Grinder777 Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Just maybe you are fine with your weight. I have been at 18% Bodyfat for years, telling my workout buddies one excuse after another. Everybody has a comfort zone to train past that needs a reason, if you like it so far why bother...

5 days a week is athlet lvl, you will be "trimming" up on that. Most Swimsuit models are bikini class bodybuilders with an BMI over 25. Your body doesnt know scalweight its just in your head anyways...
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. The other day I finally went under 85 kg (I was at 84,9 kg, but still) and I totally derailed.

It's some kind of trigger that makes you just go "f it all" or something. I personally think that I'm scared of succeeding in my weight loss because then I still have a lot of work on other parts of myself to deal with. Maybe it's something like that for you too?
  • megcorey
    megcorey Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Yep!!it is the stupidist thing ,you just have to remember yr at 199 cuz u didnt go to applebees
  • munchie144
    munchie144 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I self sabotage daily and know I'm doing it but, for some reason I cannot stop. Today I am starting my diet AGAIN, I have lost and gained the same 20 lbs so many times I have lost count. Mine is a mental thing, I say things to myself like..you don't look that bad, or you're under a lot of stress you deserve to eat what you want, or look at all the bad things happening in the world does it really matter if your thin, or my all time favorite I WILL START MY DIET TOMORROW! I am really going to try and turn those thoughts around and actually have success this time because I know I will feel so much better if I have control over food instead of food controlling me!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not the only one. I have gone through so much this year stress related (divorce, moved cross country, new job, bought a house) that all caused me to gain the weight that I have steadily been trying to loose. I think because I have so much stress and I don't really have anyone to vent and release that frustration I turn to food and sulk. I think I'm on track to be 198 again tomorrow we'll see, I'm going to try to step it up this week and not eat out as well
  • mrseash
    mrseash Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do the very same thing. I will do well for a week or two and lose a few pounds and then BAM, I have a binge or stop tracking for several days or even weeks. Then I gain the weight back that I had lost and start all over.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. Next time I get near a big threshold I'm changing my units of measure from kg to lbs and see if that makes a difference.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yep I do too! Matter of fact I was looming at 205 to 210 to 208 to 207 rrr damn you tempting treats! I get that oh ive been so good one treat meal wont hurt yea right!
  • breelinda
    breelinda Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    How about self abuse? I have lost 92 lbs! I will get up in the middle of the night, and unconsciously eat whatever I have in my house, sometimes crackers, or sometimes crap like cookies, because my 9 yr. Old has a few after dinner. Then the next day I Will wake up with food in my hair or on my couch, and I do not remember doing it! Then.. that day I will work out running for like miles and miles to turn around and do it again! INSANITY!!I HAVE 15 LBS TO GO TO MY WWEIGHT GOAL AND HAVE BEEN STUCK ON STUPID FOR 3 MONTHS!! UHHHHHH
  • bearondiet
    bearondiet Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It is just hard to keep up. Gotta take a break sometimes. As long as you mentally replenish yourself & lose weight over a certain average time period, I see nothing wrong with it. Can't really just push yourself over the edge. Gotta take some breaks. Just gotta make the breaks count & get back to the commitment to lose weight.
  • CFrancine88
    CFrancine88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I get on track and then just fall off the wagon HARD. For me, it's tied to my extremely low self esteem and being in a relationship where the person made me believe I could never be better than I am. I actually gained 30 lbs during our breakup because I since I was just "fat" anyway, what did it matter. So I "stop" myself from getting better. All you can do is find the cause and fight it.