Question for ladies over 40

Options

Replies

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I met this man who said he understood menopausal women well. His words: "Keep a man close and be sure to bring chocolate."

:#
  • vessiangel
    vessiangel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Menopause has nothing to do with the ability to lose weight. I had full hysterectomy before the age of 40. I gained a lot of weight and blamed it on hormones, or lack of those. Wrong, I was overeating until I became over 200 lb and almost a size 16. One day I just said enough is enough and 7 months later with healthy choices I was 80 lb down and size 4. I started lifting and managed to keep the the pounds, lost some more body fat, built some muscle and currently I am a zero size pants. You can do it. It is all in your hear. Junk food is addictive, it was for me. Good luck!
  • Celene67
    Celene67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my first post, had to chime in. I am experiencing the same thing as OP. Perimenopause and craving sweets like mad. Especially at night, wake up multiple times and crave, it is so weird. Cant go back to sleep and brain says SWEETS NOW!! I am not under eating by any means so its not that. Friends say they have it to, mom says it will pass.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Celene67 wrote: »
    This is my first post, had to chime in. I am experiencing the same thing as OP. Perimenopause and craving sweets like mad. Especially at night, wake up multiple times and crave, it is so weird. Cant go back to sleep and brain says SWEETS NOW!! I am not under eating by any means so its not that. Friends say they have it to, mom says it will pass.

Please read all the helpful posts in this thread so you understand that it isn't the menopause/perimenopause that is doing any of that.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Please read all the helpful posts in this thread so you understand that it isn't the menopause/perimenopause that is doing any of that.

I disagree. We know that PMS and periods can make many women crave sweets or other foods, so why couldn't other hormonal changes make cravings happen at times? I think things still boil down to CICO, but the actual cravings are probably affected by hormonal fluctuations. (Isn't that also why pregnant women get strange cravings?)
  • mccindy72
    Options

I disagree. We know that PMS and periods can make many women crave sweets or other foods, so why couldn't other hormonal changes make cravings happen at times? I think things still boil down to CICO, but the actual cravings are probably affected by hormonal fluctuations. (Isn't that also why pregnant women get strange cravings?)

As a woman, I think it's ridiculous to sit back and allow excuses to dictate how we are going to operate. If hormones are going to be the excuse, then as a woman, you pretty much are saying you have no chance at ever overriding the issues - once you start your menses. You have a monthly period for most of your life, which you want to blame for cravings, and then menopause comes along and you want to blame that too? So other than the first ten to twelve years of your life, and the last twenty, you're just going to use hormones as the excuse.
    I don't think that's valid.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Although my periods didn't stop until age 51, I had "perimenopause" starting at age 45, including spotty and missed periods, crazy food cravings, night sweats, and turn-on-a-dime mood swings for the better part of 6 years. I also wanted to eat pasta and bread ALL THE TIME. (I aalso lost 70 and gained 40 lbs in that 6 years. ).

At the recommendation of my gyn, I focused on getting lots of protein--and making much of that soy or legume protein. Can't say it eliminated the carb cravings--and it obviously didn't stop the weight gain, but it did seem to keep me feeling full, which sometimes helped me resist the urge to hit the bread basket.
  • Celene67
    Celene67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Sorry but these posts dont change what I am experiencing. Hot flashes, mood swings, my memory sucks, my sleep schedule is all over...... And yes weird food cravings. Whether or not I listen to those cravings is up to me, but no one can tell me they arent happening.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

As a woman, I think it's ridiculous to sit back and allow excuses to dictate how we are going to operate. If hormones are going to be the excuse, then as a woman, you pretty much are saying you have no chance at ever overriding the issues - once you start your menses. You have a monthly period for most of your life, which you want to blame for cravings, and then menopause comes along and you want to blame that too? So other than the first ten to twelve years of your life, and the last twenty, you're just going to use hormones as the excuse.
    I don't think that's valid.

If hormones are a cause of something, they are a cause, before anyone makes excuses or not. I'm at my goal weight. My new, extra cravings haven't been an excuse that hindered me. That doesn't mean they weren't made worse by peri-menopause.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think that the hot flashes are worsened by the carbs. Or maybe whatever causes the hot flashes is making me want carbs.

There is something up with carbs. I think. For me, anyway.

You should check this group out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! early menopause for sure! wait for all the other HORRIBLE symptoms. I want to be 20 again.

Oh for heaven's sake. It's not that bad. And, no thanks, I'll pass on being 20 again.

• mccindy72
    Options
    i have read many places that good diet/nutrition can prevent many symptoms of menapause
    start focusing on beans, greens, lean proteins
    take a daily multi-vitamin since when people diet, deficiencies could happen.

the only reason a deficiency would happen is if foods were being avoided and not being eaten. A well balanced diet will solve that problem. Focusing on only certain foods will not result in a well balanced diet.
    All foods in moderation.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hormones can most definitely cause cravings, what we choose to do about those cravings is a completely different matter though. Sugar cravings like the OP is talking about are monster that has no off switch. The more you feed it the more it demands, and it can never be satisfied. I had my monster - I called it PCOS or depression or PMS or whatever else, and there were real reasons behind my cravings, but the more I gave into them the worse they got. And the worse my symptoms got.

Take home message - don't feed the monster!

• 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    It's the new normal for you, hon, and you need to plan accordingly.

I was a skinny minnie my whole life until my premature ovarian failure (that's what my Dr. called early peri-menopause -- doesn't it sound awful?!) set in at about 41. I'll tell you, the metabolism slowed down -- no question.

I put on about ten pounds. I've taken and kept most of it off, but that's due to some discipline on my part. I simply can NOT eat like I used to or I will gain weight. So, no more chips in the house. No more cheese and crackers with my wine (boo hoo! That was a loss, I tell you!).

It's just the way it is, and you'll need to adjust. You can do it. And it'll be worth it! You'll feel better for not carrying the extra weight. Because, believe me, there are more middle-age surprises on the way. You'll want to be at a healthy weight when the joints and the feet start aching. :)

Use MFP. Log your food. Exercise most days. That's probably what it will take, and it's very doable. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When people say they can't eat like they used to it's because they are less active and have less musculature

The cure is to move more and lift progressively heavier with a good resistance programme

This has the added benefit of going some way to helping to stabilise hormonal fluctuations

I don't discount hormones can give you weird symptoms but it is a choice how you deal with them...if you focus on forming good habits now in terms of go to foods, calories, movement and exercise then perhaps you will set yourself up for a much easier later life
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    It's really a self control issue. It's not easy but can be worked on. I am still work in progress.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ain't we all :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    When people say they can't eat like they used to it's because they are less active and have less musculature

The cure is to move more and lift progressively heavier with a good resistance programme

This has the added benefit of going some way to helping to stabilise hormonal fluctuations

I don't discount hormones can give you weird symptoms but it is a choice how you deal with them...if you focus on forming good habits now in terms of go to foods, calories, movement and exercise then perhaps you will set yourself up for a much easier later life

+1. I was just about to post on the subject you addressed here @rabbitjb.

I am 62 now so way past menopause. This is what I learnt:

My BMR is slowing at the same rate it has done since I was in my 20's. so yes at 35 you can't eat what you did at 25, and at 55 you can't eat what you did at 45. It is a natural decline.

Although we don't notice we do slow down as we get older. This does 2 things, diminishes our muscle mass and lowers our BMR faster than the expected rate.
    Adding exercise, especially some kind of resistance work, helps both in retaining muscle mass and keeping ones BMR at an optimum level for ones age.

I gained 30 lb in the 5 yr before menopause, (moved less and drank a tad more beer) and decided to lose it, slowly, during menopause.

My menopause, relatively speaking, was an easy one, and I think it was due to eating a reasonable amount of nutritious food- chocolate and wine always had a place, and starting to exercise for the first time in my life.

I didn't have a problem with cravings, I think that was because nothing was denied, and I ate as much as I could, including exercise calories, while still losing.

I found once I started exercising the hot sweats and sleepless nights were less frequent and a lot milder.

As far as exercise, especially that intimidating 'lift heavy' that we read so much on here, once I figured out I didn't have to go and start lifting 100lb barbells, I found things that were 'lifting heavy for me', or challenged my muscles.
    Swimming, aqua fit, and stationary rowing are things I do that mix resistance and cardio. Bodyweight, hand weights, and machines, I use for strength.

Even though your hormones are in a flux, you can still control what you eat and your body composition.

Sorry for the ramble,
    Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @middlehaitch its good to hear positive feedback about 'the change'.... it gives me some heart when I know whats ahead of me!